Unexpected News

Jisa
Honorable Knight
Jisa
Honorable Knight

May 18th, 2016, 6:48 pm #1

The day had shaped up to be a rather average one. Overcast skies, just a bite of cold in the air and nothing too exciting happening on Aoife Callaghan's farm. Jackson had noticed the waning of day lengths. Dusk was creeping in just a bit earlier every few days, like the sun was being forced to retreat in the face of the oncoming winter. Before the sun could disappear entirely, Jackson decided to muck out the tuddles' stall by the light of sunset, even though he was tired from his long day and ready to retire to his bed and have dinner.

Mila was dozing contentedly on a shelf high up in the stall, paws tucked under her body and eyes slanting shut. For her part, Maggie had tired of mucking about and getting in the way of Jackson's bang up cleaning job, and had passed out in a puddle of puppy just beside the wheelbarrow. Jackson felt exactly how his pets were apparently feeling. Tired, but in a content sort of way.

It wouldn't be long before he was done.
Aoife Callaghan - Farmer (Cattle) - Hopeful
Jackson Prior - Farmer (Cattle)
Jason Yates - Tradeswoman (Mixer) - Hopeful
Katya Deneires - Domestic (Maid) - <span style="color:#ffd700; background:#ffffff; border-radius:5px;"><i>Evander</I></span> - Highlander

Altreis
Honorable Knight
Altreis
Honorable Knight

May 19th, 2016, 2:22 pm #2

((OOC note: I can edit if need be and since it's longer feel free to skip the background/intro stuff and just read the last paragraph. I can shorten it up but wasn't sure if you enjoyed the extra, background stuff or not...))

Nausea twisted her gut, a familiar sensation by now although Zoey still couldn't be sure if it came from hormones or nerves. Likely both in this case. After this latest revelation she knew she needed to talk to Jackson but she was again terrified. This news would not be welcome to him she was sure. He had been unsure enough of her divided heart before but now this? On some level she would be very, very surprised if this wasn't the final nail in the coffin of her relationship with him-and she still didn't want him to go. If he chose to though could she really blame him? Would she really try to stop him? No...he deserved better and she knew it. He deserved to be loved wholly and completely by someone and if she couldn't give him that he should not have to settle. That didn't stop her stomach from rolling at the thought of being without him though...

Ugh, why did she have to wait so long to talk to him? The day had seemed to drag by at a snail's pace, each hour making her more anxious and all the sicker. Waiting was horrible; she wanted to just find Jackson and get this over with! She had to wait however; his work at Aoife's farm would only get done so soon which she knew better than some was not soon at all. At a farm that size work was near constant even with all the hands helping. It was a miracle Aoife and the others got enough sleep!

In the meantime she focused on her farm. Surely after work Jackson would come over for dinner? It wasn't an uncommon arrangement but...shoot! Why did she have to go ruin everything over and over again?! They had just begun to relax and enjoy one another's company once more and now-

Zoey could not stop the prick of tears even as frustration with herself for crying welled up inside her. Now it was getting late; Jackson was not coming to dinner this evening. If she wanted to talk to him she would have to find him. It was possible of course that he simply had to work late but Zoey feared she would lose her mind if she sat around trying to wait for him longer. Vaino I know you want to sleep but can you please keep an eye out for Jackson? Just until he shows up or I find him.

Normally the Merrisxoia would tell her to shove off. He'd been working hard all day; he was tired now and had earned his rest. But he knew, could feel, how important this was and how it ate at Zoey. The stallion sighed to himself before answering: he grumbled tiredly as he plodded towards the farmhouse. Zoey would want him watching the door of course because where else would Jackson try looking for her if he came by? A bit unfair of him to ask perhaps, especially since he knew Zoey wanted this over sooner rather than later just as he did even if for different reason, but that was sort of the point. It was as much for her sake as his although he swore he'd go crazy if he had to feel her fretting much longer!

I'm trying, was the only answer Zoey gave as she quickly saddled Kalia. Normally the horse was used for pulling the farm cart. Normally Zoey would ride Vaino now that the Merrisxoia was thinner and stronger. He would always be a bit of a pudge but he could move himself and she could ride him. Both enjoyed it even. This was not a normal evening though. Someone had to stay in case Jackson came back while another went looking for him at the place he currently called home. They both knew it wouldn't be Vaino doing all that running around! Thankfully Kalia was trained and knew how to be ridden, not just cues given from the front of a cart.

A sad whicker below caught her attention and she smiled at Tilly. "Sorry girl but I think even you would be tired by the time we got back," Zoey told her, kneeling to hug the tuddle close for a moment. Tilly nuzzled her and lipped at her hair. She wanted to go, wanted to see Jackson's two tuddles and be there if Zoey needed her...but she would listen and stay home this time. That didn't stop her giving Zoey an affectionate send-off though! The young woman laughed as she pulled away and mounted her horse. "Yes I'll miss you too. See you soon." I hope, she whispered silently. Her stomach fluttered as she urged Kalia out onto the road that would lead them into town.

From there she went to the little area behind the blacksmith where she knew Jackson was staying. Kalia was left tied a little ways off just in case Jackson's latest pet decided to try playing with her and spooked her. She wasn't the spookiest of horses but one never knew. As she finally reached the stalls Zoey slowed and listened, smiling when she picked up the sounds of activity. "Hey you silly oaf, you're going to make yourself sick again if you push too hard!" she called, teasing him. Assuming it was Jackson she heard but who else would be here?
Farmer Zoey Rosetti and <span style="color:#29826d; background:#9fcee7; border-radius:5px;"><i>Vaino</i></span>
Blacksmith Tyrell Nielson and <span style="color:#ff611b; background:#ffd053; border-radius:5px;"><i>Lyeata</i></span>
Doctor Ejiro Sall and <span style="color:#88a7c8; background:#79675a; border-radius:5px;"><i>Meira</i></span>
Confectioner Riley Reece Hopeful
Cobbler Branwen Ellis and <span style="color:#d03dac; background:#222225; border-radius:5px;"><i>Cadoc</i></span>

Jisa
Honorable Knight
Jisa
Honorable Knight

May 21st, 2016, 7:14 pm #3

Jackson was just about finishing up when he heard Zoey's voice coming from outside the stall. He jumped slightly, having not expected it, but was soon grinning. It had been a little while since he'd seen Zoey, a day or two really, but with how much time they generally spent together, it felt longer. In any case, he was glad to hear her voice despite how tired he was, so he carefully stepped over Maggie to exit the stall and find Zoey standing out there. He met her with a pleased grin and leaned with one elbow on his pitchfork.

"Who are you calling a silly oaf?" He asked, amused.

Maggie seemed to awake from her deep puppy sleep, alerted to the presence of someone exciting seemingly by magic. She was soon wriggling on her paws, jumping up at Zoey's knees, bursting with excitement. Jackson rolled his eyes with a long-suffering sigh.

"Oh, and you're going to steal all of Zoey's attention now, are you?"
Katya Deneires - Domestic (Maid) - <span style="color:#ffd700; background:#ffffff; border-radius:5px;"><i>Evander</I></span> - Highlander

Altreis
Honorable Knight
Altreis
Honorable Knight

May 26th, 2016, 2:40 pm #4

For just an instant the sounds inside stilled. Then they came back, grower louder as whoever or whatever was in there came out. But Zoey wasn't worried; she was confident she knew exactly what and who was coming to greet her. Sure enough the young, handsome farm hand stepped out to meet her. The grin on his face was a delight to see and he looked perfectly healthy even though she hadn't seen him for-okay so maybe it hadn't been that long since they were together last but it felt like it. Sometimes she got the feeling as soon as he was away from her Jackson would take sick. It was that habit he had of working himself into exhaustion but at least he was forced to not push too hard. There had been no further problems with his heart so he must know his limits and respected them. She hoped.

At his tease her own lips split into a bright grin, the dire reason she had come to see him fleeing her thoughts for the time-being. Before she could do or say anything in response however Zoey found herself assaulted by a ball of excited fur. The puppy's antics, combined with Jackson's reaction, brought laughter to her lips. Zoey couldn't help it with the pair of them being so-so-ahaha! Once her laughter had died down somewhat Zoey knelt to pet Maggie, maybe even hug her if the pup let her.

"Don't worry," she said with a grin flashed at Jackson, "she can't steal all of my attention because there's always a bit of it stolen by a certain silly oaf." A wink accompanied the repeated tease, her grin turning into more of a playful smirk. Then her expression softened. "But you know you're too adorable when you are being silly. If I didn't my hands full of puppy I would have to hug you."

Her stomach rolled a little again and Zoey froze, any form of smile leaving her expression for a moment. Oh. Right. This wasn't just another fun visit with Jackson; she had something important to tell him...something he might not like very much. Considering their past she couldn't help worrying. So far he'd been there for her, had stayed with her, but there was only so much anyone could or should put up with. Would this be the final nail in the coffin of any chance she had of a relationship with him? A few short months ago, before she met him, that had been fine but now...now she wanted him in her life. Maybe he could forgive her since it was a mistake made during a dark period when he wasn't around?

Slowly Zoey stood and closed the distance between them though she made no move to touch him yet. "Actually there's something I need to tell you. Happy news, sad news, I couldn't say. Only that it is very important and not talking about it won't stop it." There was a silent plea in her voice, hope that he would listen and be able to stay with her through this. If she ended up alone when she most wanted-needed-support she wasn't sure what she would. do.
Farmer Zoey Rosetti and <span style="color:#29826d; background:#9fcee7; border-radius:5px;"><i>Vaino</i></span>
Blacksmith Tyrell Nielson and <span style="color:#ff611b; background:#ffd053; border-radius:5px;"><i>Lyeata</i></span>
Doctor Ejiro Sall and <span style="color:#88a7c8; background:#79675a; border-radius:5px;"><i>Meira</i></span>
Confectioner Riley Reece Hopeful
Cobbler Branwen Ellis and <span style="color:#d03dac; background:#222225; border-radius:5px;"><i>Cadoc</i></span>

Jisa
Honorable Knight
Jisa
Honorable Knight

June 4th, 2016, 12:11 am #5

Jackson watched with a small, fond smile as Zoey knelt to greet Maggie. The little collie was trying her hardest to reach Zoey's face and give her puppy kisses, but was still a bit too small, so scrabbled at Zoey's legs and wriggled instead. Zoey's quick retort to his playful complaint spurred a chuckle out of him, but beyond the amusement was a flush of warmth in his chest. It was contentment, he knew. Sometimes it took his breath away - he was actually happy. Despite the mess that had been the past couple of months (years, if he were honest, but he was prone to downplaying things), life had settled down a bit.

Of course, losing his life's ambition of being a rider or at least a blacksmith had been hard, and he still struggled with it at times, but he had his tuddles, Mila and Maggie, and now he had Zoey in his life too. Jackson couldn't fathom how he'd been so unimaginably lucky to have found a certain kind of peace in Ellenwea.

But just as Jackson felt the warmth of joy, the smile disappeared from Zoey's face. Uh oh. He knew that face. Trepidation wormed its way into his gut as Zoey suddenly rose from her spot on the floor with Maggie and approached him, looking a bit like the end of the world was coming. She didn't make any move to touch him, which was another red flag to Jackson. Zoey was very affectionate, and now that Jackson was more receptive to that kind of attention it was strange for her to be a bit more removed now.

There's something I need to tell you.

Jackson's heart dropped and he felt his face fall, regardless of his attempt to keep relatively untroubled by this unexpected turn of events. He wasn't sure what could double as good and bad news in their situation.

All he could think was that Zoey didn't think whatever it was between them wasn't working out - and Jackson couldn't blame her. He didn't have a huge amount of free time, between the farm and his own animals, and he wasn't... well, he wasn't Fallen. He'd made progress with being a bit less reserved - but, well, who would really want to be involved with a kid with a heart condition anyway?

"Okay," he said finally, trying not to sound as defeated and unsure as he felt. "Uh, do you want to come inside and sit down?"

He gestured at the old forge and tried not to think about the fact that it was just another indicator that Zoey could do much better than him. That he could not let go of his old forge was kind of sad.