What are the two rarest non sports cards?

What are the two rarest non sports cards?

June 5th, 2010, 1:23 am #1

The 30K Superman guy says he has the two rarest non sports cards. Baseball has the Holy Grail, But what about over here, I would love to hear what you guys think are the hardest cards to get. Thanks Ted

TM

June 5th, 2010, 1:46 am #2

I have 20-30 cards that only 1 are known to exist.

June 5th, 2010, 1:48 am #3

The 30K Superman guy says he has the two rarest non sports cards. Baseball has the Holy Grail, But what about over here, I would love to hear what you guys think are the hardest cards to get. Thanks Ted

TM
There is probably a lot of cards which are one of a kind, many tobacco card sets still have incomplete checklist BUT any of these cards would not bring the attention or value that a "Mckinley", "Strongman" or "Cowboy outfit" would bring.

If you are looking for what are the key cards on each major sets, well that's a secret

June 5th, 2010, 2:10 am #4

TM
Co'mon Guys, You have to have an opinion, no one will commit, top 2 then what about top 5? It is the weekend & I have to have a few cards to look for (just kidding). But really, would love to hear some names.

TM

June 5th, 2010, 2:22 am #5

TM
I just gave you 3 names

The McKinley I think there is only 2 known
The Strongman I don't think there is one authenticated yet
The Cowboy Outfit One of the member of this board bought one not long ago, and there is another member (may be two) who also have one.

Look in the gallery.

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/z-ns-tuffies/rare.html
http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/z-ns-tuffies/tuff.html

June 5th, 2010, 2:25 am #6

TM
Ted-
I would recommend checking the gallery as Dan C created webpages for rare and super rare cards. I believe there was also an excellent thread about rare NS cards a year or two ago. I would agree with what is written above and what is shown in the gallery in terms of some of the most sought after NS cards.
Yours in collecting,
Alan Elefson

June 5th, 2010, 3:31 am #7

TM
thanks guys, greatly appreciated

TM

June 5th, 2010, 3:34 am #8

TM
There are at least 5 McKinley's and over a dozen WW Cowboy Outfit cards. But they aren't nearly as rare as the 20-30 cards I have of which there are only 1 known. And I'm not talking printing errors or similar. Here's a few I already have scanned. Actually the Contentnea's aren't mine, they are Bill Humphrey's and his are also 1 of 1. But I have others. And I know Tom and David R and many others have several uncatalouged N-cards. probably a lot more than I do.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited by egbeachley on June 5th, 2010, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 5th, 2010, 9:32 am #9

TM
There is an important aspect that needs to be considered when asking about rare cards, prices, etc.

It's not just which cards have the lowest populations. Any number of our Forum's members could probably dredge up groups of one-of-a-kinds from their shoe boxes . . . trade cards, etc. Dan's "junker" box is probably a treasure trove of these.

But those probably won't excite all of us very much because the issue isn't just about population size . . . it's really about the extent to which demand outstrips that supply.

Maybe there are 20 Honus Wagners out there (I don't know, making up a number) but there are hundreds upon hundreds of avid baseball card collectors who all want the card and are willing to pay up for the honor. Result: bingo! High-priced scarce cards.

Another good example might be the Hitler cards in Horrors of War. These are actually not as difficult as many folks believe, probably not THAT much more difficult than some of the other of the scarce high number HOW runs. The difference, though, is that many or most collectors will know something about the Hitler cards, even when the rest of HOW draws a blank for them. They may decide to collect a few type cards from HOW, and target the familiar Hitler cards. Also, there will probablyu be a lot of potential crossover collectors (war buffs, Nazi collectors, history collectors, etc.) As a result, the demand/supply ratio for the Hitler cards is way higher than other HOW cards. Result: bingo again! Strong prices.

So this starts to makes it easier to accept the pricing anomalies such as Honus Wagner vs McKinley. There are probably way more Wagners than McKinleys, hands down. But looking at the relative sizes of the bidding populations for each card, it's easy to see why the McKinley card might be $15k on a good day, but Honus hits 7 digit prices.

June 5th, 2010, 9:44 pm #10

TM
This thread could probably easily divide into: (A) rarest N/S cards; (B) most valuable N/S cards.

Jon.