Uncatalogued R or What?

June 10th, 2016, 11:17 am #11

I have picked up ten different "Old Nick Numerology Story of..." sheets over the last month or so. They are 4.75" x 9" and are tri-fold paper. It states at the top that "24 different celebrities of science, radio, screen, stage and sports are packed, one with each 5c Old Nick Candy Bar."

There is a reference to "Mario, an internationally famous numerologist" on the back. Numerology seems a strange subject for give-away sheets in a nationally distributed candy bar. I tried to research Mario and found little about him. What I did find is that in 1936 a numerologist named Mario offered a show, with celebrity and personal readings at the Arlington Theater in Chicago. Mario also authored a booklet in 1935 titled, "What's Your Number" with illustrations by Russell Grau. There was also a 1935 promotion by the Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper to include a column by Mario with readings of the famous plus an offer for personal readings. So, I guess numerology was a big deal back in 1935, at least in certain areas.

Would you consider these uncatalogued non-sports cards? I'm not a believer in numerology, but these cards do contain a great deal of historical information about the subjects plus some nice illustrations. They are not dated, but I noticed the font for "OLD nIck" has a lower case n. I found this on some internet images, and seems to have been used by the company for a short time. Unfortunately, the images I found had no referenced dates either. I would guess them to be from the late 1930's.

Celebrities on my 10 cards are:

Henry Armetta
Thos. A. Edison
Robert Fulton
Rudyard Kipling
Abraham Lincoln
Louis Pasteur
Will Rogers
Madame Schumann-Heink
Evelyn Venable
Wilbur Wright

I can post more pics of other cards if anyone is interested. Thanks for your ideas on these. Maybe someone has a complete set. - Jack J.

Why stop there, Jack?
Why not assign an R number?

June 10th, 2016, 6:18 pm #12

I have picked up ten different "Old Nick Numerology Story of..." sheets over the last month or so. They are 4.75" x 9" and are tri-fold paper. It states at the top that "24 different celebrities of science, radio, screen, stage and sports are packed, one with each 5c Old Nick Candy Bar."

There is a reference to "Mario, an internationally famous numerologist" on the back. Numerology seems a strange subject for give-away sheets in a nationally distributed candy bar. I tried to research Mario and found little about him. What I did find is that in 1936 a numerologist named Mario offered a show, with celebrity and personal readings at the Arlington Theater in Chicago. Mario also authored a booklet in 1935 titled, "What's Your Number" with illustrations by Russell Grau. There was also a 1935 promotion by the Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper to include a column by Mario with readings of the famous plus an offer for personal readings. So, I guess numerology was a big deal back in 1935, at least in certain areas.

Would you consider these uncatalogued non-sports cards? I'm not a believer in numerology, but these cards do contain a great deal of historical information about the subjects plus some nice illustrations. They are not dated, but I noticed the font for "OLD nIck" has a lower case n. I found this on some internet images, and seems to have been used by the company for a short time. Unfortunately, the images I found had no referenced dates either. I would guess them to be from the late 1930's.

Henry Armetta
Thos. A. Edison
Robert Fulton
Rudyard Kipling
Abraham Lincoln
Louis Pasteur
Will Rogers
Madame Schumann-Heink
Evelyn Venable
Wilbur Wright

I can post more pics of other cards if anyone is interested. Thanks for your ideas on these. Maybe someone has a complete set. - Jack J.

Yeah! I vote for R230.

June 10th, 2016, 8:20 pm #13

Henry Armetta
Thos. A. Edison
Robert Fulton
Rudyard Kipling
Abraham Lincoln
Louis Pasteur
Will Rogers
Madame Schumann-Heink
Evelyn Venable
Wilbur Wright

R230 is a great number, Todd. My first job in 1966 was at Robert Hall Clothes. The store number was 230. Maybe there's something to this Numerology business. - Jack J.

June 10th, 2016, 9:26 pm #14

Henry Armetta
Thos. A. Edison
Robert Fulton
Rudyard Kipling
Abraham Lincoln
Louis Pasteur
Will Rogers
Madame Schumann-Heink
Evelyn Venable
Wilbur Wright

Anyone care to venture a guess - - - M248 ?

June 10th, 2016, 11:44 pm #15

Henry Armetta
Thos. A. Edison
Robert Fulton
Rudyard Kipling
Abraham Lincoln
Louis Pasteur
Will Rogers
Madame Schumann-Heink
Evelyn Venable
Wilbur Wright

Whoa, Jack! I think you are right! I'll make it official since all we need is a vote of 2. R230 it is!

Dan, What's M248?

June 11th, 2016, 12:06 am #16

Henry Armetta
Thos. A. Edison
Robert Fulton
Rudyard Kipling
Abraham Lincoln
Louis Pasteur
Will Rogers
Madame Schumann-Heink
Evelyn Venable
Wilbur Wright

I love this hobby. - JJ

June 11th, 2016, 1:50 am #17

Henry Armetta
Thos. A. Edison
Robert Fulton
Rudyard Kipling
Abraham Lincoln
Louis Pasteur
Will Rogers
Madame Schumann-Heink
Evelyn Venable
Wilbur Wright

is there any designation like M248
Last edited by D.Calandriello on June 11th, 2016, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 11th, 2016, 2:12 am #18

Henry Armetta
Thos. A. Edison
Robert Fulton
Rudyard Kipling
Abraham Lincoln
Louis Pasteur
Will Rogers
Madame Schumann-Heink
Evelyn Venable
Wilbur Wright

M248 would make it sports and issued by a newspaper.

http://www.oldcardboard.com/cardSetList.asp?GroupID=10

R230 is a good fit.
Last edited by visionlure on June 11th, 2016, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 11th, 2016, 2:25 am #19

Henry Armetta
Thos. A. Edison
Robert Fulton
Rudyard Kipling
Abraham Lincoln
Louis Pasteur
Will Rogers
Madame Schumann-Heink
Evelyn Venable
Wilbur Wright

you have to love this group....thanks, Jim

October 10th, 2017, 11:24 pm #20

Henry Armetta
Thos. A. Edison
Robert Fulton
Rudyard Kipling
Abraham Lincoln
Louis Pasteur
Will Rogers
Madame Schumann-Heink
Evelyn Venable
Wilbur Wright

I've resurrected this thread because I got a wrapper with the lower case "n" in OLD nICK. The wrapper is dated 1937, which is about when I thought the R230 Numerology cards were produced. Not conclusive evidence, but pretty good. I'd like to find a wrapper that advertises the Numerology cards inside. Maybe some day. - Jack J.

[/img]