T51 Master Set discussion

T51 Master Set discussion

October 6th, 2014, 10:49 pm #1

I think I'm going to try and build the master set, and it was discussed on a thread a few years ago. Rather than dredge that one up, I wanted to confirm it was still accurate:
All cards from 1st Edition of all six series (150) - Marked 1909 in PSA Pop
All cards from 2nd Edition of 1st/2nd series (50) - Marked 1910 in PSA Pop
1st Edition cards with the small numbers (25)

But let me pose a question to you: is there a 1st Series, 2nd Edition card of either Indiana or Wisconsin? If you look at the 1st Series, 2nd Edition back athttp://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/T51/go1.html it shows that Kansas and Denver have been replaced on the checklist with Indiana and Wisconsin. However, after checking my already owned cards and eBay, I see that Kansas and Denver were made in the 2nd Edition. Indiana and Wisconsin were included in the 2nd Series, 1st and 2nd Edition. Has anyone seen these or discussed it before? Could not find any previous discussions noting this through google or the search engine here.

I am also composing a Master List of the overall graded pop report, to try and figure out which cards are graded most often and why. Once I buy one or two more cards, I'll start the "basic set 1-150" and the master set "1-225" so people can add to them. As of now, PSA only has a subset listing for the 7 or so basketball cards.

Thanks!
John

October 6th, 2014, 11:03 pm #2

I don't really know what to look for right now. What is the variation with the number in the corner?
Thanks!
John

October 6th, 2014, 11:45 pm #3

I think I'm going to try and build the master set, and it was discussed on a thread a few years ago. Rather than dredge that one up, I wanted to confirm it was still accurate:

But let me pose a question to you: is there a 1st Series, 2nd Edition card of either Indiana or Wisconsin? If you look at the 1st Series, 2nd Edition back athttp://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/T51/go1.html it shows that Kansas and Denver have been replaced on the checklist with Indiana and Wisconsin. However, after checking my already owned cards and eBay, I see that Kansas and Denver were made in the 2nd Edition. Indiana and Wisconsin were included in the 2nd Series, 1st and 2nd Edition. Has anyone seen these or discussed it before? Could not find any previous discussions noting this through google or the search engine here.

I am also composing a Master List of the overall graded pop report, to try and figure out which cards are graded most often and why. Once I buy one or two more cards, I'll start the "basic set 1-150" and the master set "1-225" so people can add to them. As of now, PSA only has a subset listing for the 7 or so basketball cards.

Thanks!
John
John:

I have not found any variations from the Forbes book that shows:

1st Series - First and Second Edition of both Kansas and Denver

Series 26-50 - First and Second Edition of both Indiana and Wisconsin.

I can positively say that Kansas, Denver and Indiana have both first and second Editions as I have them...I have not come up with the 2nd Edition for Wisconsin (although I admit that I have not really looked for it)..

Regarding the Series Variation 1-25 with the numbers in the lower right hand corner...I can verify that 22/25 exist as I am only needing: 4...7 and

martykrim@gmail.com

October 7th, 2014, 10:24 am #4

Thanks!
John
Just found one. Bought the Illinois pennant from the 1st Edition last night with the #21 in the bottom right corner.

October 7th, 2014, 1:39 pm #5

Thanks!
John
think the next thing for you might be the T6's After that it's all downhill.............

As for Marty - he's a master set collector beyond conventional help. It's his apparent acceptance of personal fallibility with regard to the quote below that makes him special - although I sense that he already knows it's on his list - and he doesn't want to tip his hand..... The guy is tricky!
"I have not come up with the 2nd Edition for Wisconsin (although I admit that I have not really looked for it)".

October 7th, 2014, 6:33 pm #6

Thanks!
John
I have seen the T6s and they're nice. Mid-high grade cards are out of my price range currently. There's a nice set of all 25 on eBay right now just over $2000.

I submitted the request to make the T51 basic set (150) and Master Set (225) over on PSA. I will let you know once they've been created so that people who have graded cards can start challenging each other on the registry.

October 8th, 2014, 10:06 am #7

Thanks!
John
So far on completed eBay/auctionhouse listings, I've found these:

Rochester - 10
Michigan - 15
Swarthmore - 17
California - 2_ Can't make out the second number
Illinois - 21

Questions I still have about the set:
Why were some colleges included?

Why were some major colleges excluded?

Were any colleges consulted before appearing on these cards, or did any refuse to be pictured? (Like Denver and Kansas dropping off the series 1, edition 2 checklist?)

Or was adding Denver and Kansas a ploy to sell more tobacco/increase brand loyalty by checklisting cards that didn't exist to create a chase.

How many total colleges were expected to be created? Were they going to stop at 150 or produce any more? Reason being, for cards 1-100, they're fairly uniform alphabetically. Once you get to 101-125 and 126-150, it looks like they're trying to fill back in colleges starting with A-M, but there was never a Series that filled in the N-Z colleges missing.

I'm thinking about wasting (er, spending) an hour to map all of the college locations on a GoogleMap to see where the spread is; mainly Northeast, from what I can tell, but that's where most of the lauded colleges were at the time.

Noticed an eBay listing claim that the Hockey price guide lists the value of the Rochester card at $250. Was this the first ever Hockey card?

October 8th, 2014, 11:55 pm #8

Thanks!
John
1.. Harvard
2..W&J Washington & Jefferson
3..Fordham
4..Cornell
5..Kansas
6..Denver
7..Yale
8..Texas
9..Penn State
10..Rochester
11..Brown
12..Princeton
13..C.C.N.Y.
14..Williams
15..Michigan
16..N.Y.U.
17..Swarthmore
18..Penn (with pennant)
19..Missouri
20..California
21..Illinois
22..Columbia
23..Amherst
24..Dartmouth
25..Syracuse

As you can see, the numbers are not alphabetically listed and do not align with the T6 series. I looked up all the colleges today and noticed that a couple merged with each other, about six went defunct, and a couple changed names into schools you've probably heard of.

October 19th, 2014, 9:36 pm #9

Thanks!
John
Best of luck on your master set! I just finished the football master set. It only took just over a decade for me to find a Michigan with the number on front!

October 24th, 2014, 9:40 pm #10

Thanks!
John
I'm now up past 120 distinct colleges and have about 8 more with either the Number on front or the 1st series, so I'm making great progress. Price point on this issue and the helpfulness of some Net54 board members has sped me along.

Found the following oddities:
1) Western Reserve with 180 degree oriented back.
2) Trinity with miscut back: S. Anargyros and factory information above Murad Cigs.

Have about 90 (with some dupes) to send into PSA on the October $6 special. Anyone else found any anomalies in this series?