Shotwell's Candy Wrapper

Shotwell's Candy Wrapper

March 23rd, 2010, 10:20 pm #1

I'm trying to find out what I can about this wrapper. I've learned from this site that Shotwell's put out at least two sets, one Red Grange sports set of 12 cards and a 24 card set of Grange in a movie. I'm wondering if this wrapper is from the movie issue. The girl in the star looks alot like the girl on card 3 of the latter set.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks - Jack

March 24th, 2010, 12:34 am #2

Jack,

There are 2 other sets - Molly'O and Suzanna. That wrapper design could have been associated with any of them.

However, the actual wrapper you show came from a salesman sample book by a print house. They used it to promote their wares to various mfg's. They probably printed the original candy wrappers for Shotwell's (and others). It was actually on a page with another candy wrapper and is often found cut apart. Here is the full page:

March 24th, 2010, 12:35 am #3

I'm trying to find out what I can about this wrapper. I've learned from this site that Shotwell's put out at least two sets, one Red Grange sports set of 12 cards and a 24 card set of Grange in a movie. I'm wondering if this wrapper is from the movie issue. The girl in the star looks alot like the girl on card 3 of the latter set.

Not red grange but the extremely rare Checkers movie star cards.

http://www.moviecard.com/zamerican/asso ... twell.html

And what Todd said is the reason why the wrappers are far more oommon than the cards.
Last edited by ctyankee on March 24th, 2010, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 24th, 2010, 12:46 am #4

Suzanna or Molly O' than the set you pictured from Todd's site. They are both smaller cards than that card I think. I think those were issued in boxes of checkers, not in a package. Just my own opinion based on really nothing. The wrapper for the Grange set is out there if you go to Legendary Auctions or Robert Edward Auctions one or the other and search for it. There was a set/wrapper/box in one of their auctions. I have one of those wrappers as well with the shotwell wrapper and the blue box still intact but not the top wrapper. Thanks for showing that Todd.......

March 24th, 2010, 1:42 am #5

My guess would be Molly'O starring Mabel Normand. Suzanna states they came with Suzanna candy bars so one would think that would be clearly stated on the wrappers.

Here is a pic of Mabel:

Here is the Molly'O back:

Here is Suzanna back:

March 24th, 2010, 4:56 am #6

This sure lines up with what I see in the wrapper. I was wondering why it had irregular edges. Being cut from the printer's proof explains it.

Todd - the surmise about the cards being from the Molly-O set makes sense to me. It's really a beautiful wrapper with gold printing that doesn't scan well. Is 1926 a reasonable date like the Red Grange sets?

If anyone has a dup of one of the Molly-O cards, I'd sure be interested in one to go with wrapper.

Thanks for all the input. -Jack

March 24th, 2010, 10:47 am #7

To assign this wrapper to Molly'O, three things must be ignored.
1) The wrapper does not say Molly'O
2) The checkerboard design on the wrapper, seen on no other shotwell's
3) The wrapper says Movie Star Pictures.

March 24th, 2010, 10:56 am #8

but it also says nothing about Checkers which was one of their biggest products. My understanding is that Checkers were in a box like Cracker Jacks.

March 24th, 2010, 11:26 am #9

Here is a link to Troy Kirks website on the Canadian issue of the Suzanna, cards were issued through both Patterson Chocolate (not William Paterson) and Telfer Biscuits. Funny how the Patterson says that the Suzanna is Made Only by Patterson Candy Company.

http://www.moviecard.com/misc_t-z/tel-biscuit.html

Date of issue is 1923, I think Troy has 1922 but I have the original ads to confirm 1923.

March 24th, 2010, 11:27 am #10

I still think Molly'O!

As to Jim's Points:

1) The wrapper does not say Molly'O
- Check out the back of the Molly 'O card - it simply states "Distributed with Candy products" - sort of non-specific unlike the Suzanna cards which actually state a brand

For points 2 & 3 - see below:
2) The checkerboard design on the wrapper, seen on no other shotwell's
3) The wrapper says Movie Star Pictures

Here is a pic of the album:

Notice the checkerboard around the album AND the word "Movies" quoted on the cover all printed in gold like the wrapper highlights

PS: Molly-O was released in 1921 so would think the cards are from 1921 or 1922
Last edited by non-sport.com on March 24th, 2010, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.