R36 Cops and Robbers Photo Source

R36 Cops and Robbers Photo Source

December 29th, 2013, 12:31 am #1

I was scanning Ebay for gum cards when I came upon an image very familiar. On the page of an August 28, 1926 copy of Literary Digest was an unnamed degenerate hooked on drugs. The article title was "Fighting the Dope Menace". They couldn't fool me, I recognized the ner-do-well as Dapper Dan Dugan of Cops and Robbers fame.

Credit for the photo went to The Brown Bros. This company is still in business and describes itself on its web page as: "Brown Brothers is the nation's oldest stock photo agency, established in New York in 1904. We have over 12 million photographs and illustrations from prehistory to present with special emphasis on early New York, immigrants, royalty, slums, political movements, rural and urban life, wars, early technology, disasters, politicians, sports, inventors, science, American fads, and celebrities. Our images are used by publishers, producers, museums, and advertising agencies worldwide."

I wish I had access to their files to see if the entire R36 set is based on their photos. At least Frank Fleer painted out the hypodermic needle sticking in Dan's arm. -Jack J.

December 29th, 2013, 2:38 am #2

Great bit of research Jack!

Last edited by Marslife on December 29th, 2013, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 29th, 2013, 6:20 am #3

I was scanning Ebay for gum cards when I came upon an image very familiar. On the page of an August 28, 1926 copy of Literary Digest was an unnamed degenerate hooked on drugs. The article title was "Fighting the Dope Menace". They couldn't fool me, I recognized the ner-do-well as Dapper Dan Dugan of Cops and Robbers fame.

Credit for the photo went to The Brown Bros. This company is still in business and describes itself on its web page as: "Brown Brothers is the nation's oldest stock photo agency, established in New York in 1904. We have over 12 million photographs and illustrations from prehistory to present with special emphasis on early New York, immigrants, royalty, slums, political movements, rural and urban life, wars, early technology, disasters, politicians, sports, inventors, science, American fads, and celebrities. Our images are used by publishers, producers, museums, and advertising agencies worldwide."

I wish I had access to their files to see if the entire R36 set is based on their photos. At least Frank Fleer painted out the hypodermic needle sticking in Dan's arm. -Jack J.
It's actually the only modern - to me anyway - set I owned because I loved the theme and how they always looked like "real" people. I had it maybe a month before I came to my senses Really interesting some/all may have been taken from life AND they were apparently actually associated fundamentally with the ficticious characters they represented...........

December 29th, 2013, 1:08 pm #4

That's really cool! Looks like the start of a great research project.

December 29th, 2013, 2:44 pm #5

Am I allowed to ask
how many complete sets Net54 guys have ?
...........not master sets..just a bare bones complete set ?

I think I remember that the last numbers seemed
a little hard to find....wish I could remember
if it was the last 12 or last 6...
..........anyone know this answer ?

Last edited by DanCalandriello on December 29th, 2013, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 29th, 2013, 2:46 pm #6

Jack, what an amazing bit of information you've shared.

Do you collect the set ?

December 29th, 2013, 5:11 pm #7

I do collect the set. I'm close to a basic set with missing cards #27 and #33. I've got some color variations, but am a long way from a master set.

While I'm not generally a fan of photo cards, this set is such fun it's one of my favorite to collect. I'm not sure that knowing the pictures are probably of real criminals and cops makes collecting it better of worse. I kinda liked the idea that Fleer just dressed his employees up and took their pictures.

Dan - Have you ever thought about having an ongoing page where we could log our sets? Maybe a grid with set down one side and our names across the top. We could check if we collect or have a complete set. As I describe it, it sounds like a major undertaking. I know past polls have not always gotten much response. - Jack J.
Last edited by fallbrookjack on December 29th, 2013, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 29th, 2013, 7:56 pm #8

Dan, I have a complete set. The question is will you tell us how many complete sets you have? : )

December 29th, 2013, 10:29 pm #9

As usual, I'm late to the party. This little piece is M A J O R ! (re: this set)
JJ from the bottom of my heart, a very warm and genuine thank you! Thank you!

I've spent some time webagating the pic source over the years and never got any confirmation. I knew a man who was an executive at Fleer who knew a an "old man" who retired from F Fleer, whom he said would know the TRUE answer. I did not push.. (ok a little) and urged him to ask that 1 question (re: photos,pics)to the fella.(they talked every few weeks)Sadly, my next contact with the original "fleer dude"; I asked if he had talked to the "old man" and (I quote)
"..yeah, sorry about that..he passed away a couple weeks ago..never got to ask him.." (Argghh!!!!)

So, this little gem you uncovered is like a Christmas gift.

This confirms Jeff Shep's and others theory that "dapper dan" originally had a needle.

There is certainly a WIDE OPEN Door for you "non sport detectives" now (AHEM!)(wink,nod)

DAN Writes: "
I think I remember that the last numbers seemed
a little hard to find....wish I could remember
if it was the last 12 or last 6...
..........anyone know this answer ? "

Hi Dan, I think its all about personal experience (collecting,set building)
Personally, I did not find the last 12 or 6 a challenge compared to other numbers.
I had a harder time finding ANY cards for the longest time..one here, 2 there etc
As I closed out the "master" I had way too many cards and suddenly...they appeared weekly on ebay, yahoo or auction houses...kind of reminds me of the "tough" G-men ..you go years with nothing..then a flood of "hard numbers" comes on the block , wave after wave! (sigh)
Of course , FIRST & LAST are always hard in decent condition. (any set, any year)
My hardest cards were #9 Bruiser bill, #10 Terry the terror, #30 black hand tony and #33 Hong Kong Wow.
#9 bruiser bill is used as a pic in different guides and he has a skull & bones tattoo ..so its "cool" I guess. And can be elusive and the others mentioned have "tough" or " Cool" names..which I believe, makes them more popular, played with more or kept.
Cards like "schemer snitch" ( who wants a snitch?) and "constable corntassle" (goofy looking, teeth missing, goofy name) = NOT "cool". My theory.

I've thought about writing an article on this issue but I think all bases have been covered here on net 54 prior.

We can get into colors, stock etc and then we are on rabbit trails.

I think Prof. Chuck has the bigger question for you Dan? (giggle)

GREAT WORK JJ! Just great work!

"showing the love since 1935"

December 29th, 2013, 11:05 pm #10

Charley - I'm glad to play Santa for you this year.

For me, the hardest two cards in this set are the ones I don't have ... numbers 27 and 33 (if anyone has an extra). Of course, it's a little like always finding something in the last place you look. -Jack J.