Question About Seller In The Wrapper

Question About Seller In The Wrapper

April 3rd, 2012, 11:34 pm #1

I'm looking for any input on one of the sellers that I see frequently in The Wrapper....John Latina. His page is listed as J.A.L. Has anyone had any experience with him? I've called him off and on at different times of the day for the past month at the phone number he lists in the ad, but no one ever answers the phone. It rings and rings with no ability to leave a message. He doesn't list an email address.

He lists a P.O. Box #, but I hate sending a letter snail mail (I know....I'm spoiled with email, texting, cell phones, etc).

Any comments are appreciated.

Jason

April 4th, 2012, 4:13 pm #2

Why didn't you email me, Jason? John Latina has no complaints against him. He has sold a ton of great cards over the past year. I endorse him wholeheartedly. Keep calling him and let the phone ring....

April 4th, 2012, 8:17 pm #3

I'm looking for any input on one of the sellers that I see frequently in The Wrapper....John Latina. His page is listed as J.A.L. Has anyone had any experience with him? I've called him off and on at different times of the day for the past month at the phone number he lists in the ad, but no one ever answers the phone. It rings and rings with no ability to leave a message. He doesn't list an email address.

He lists a P.O. Box #, but I hate sending a letter snail mail (I know....I'm spoiled with email, texting, cell phones, etc).

Jason
Thanks for the feedback Les. I hope I didn't imply any level of mistrust with him (that wasn't my intent), I was just more frustrated that I couldn't get through to him on the phone and was therefore wondering if others had similar issues.

With that in mind, I thrust technology aside this morning and sent him a letter so I hope to hear from him in the near future.

Les...if you see this response, you'll be happy to know that I also sent out another letter (w/ check) to Vin Minner....one of your long time advertisers. He's great to work with, so I thought I'd pass along those thoughts and feedback. By the way, thanks for putting out another terrific issue of the Wrapper. Well done!!

April 6th, 2012, 12:11 am #4

Jason
I have bought from John, no problems at all. I wouldn't put too much stock in people not answering their phone. They could be on a trip, off visiting family, in the hospital, at a convention... the list goes on and on. Remember, they have to place their ad weeks ahead of time and a lot can come up in that time. Wrapper advertisers tend to be a good lot, because (unlike eBay etc.) there is a way to get rid of those who abuse their trust.

April 6th, 2012, 1:35 pm #5

Jason
This brings up a pet peeve of mine. I can understand not wanting to put a phone number in an ad if it's a home number but both street and e-mail addresses should be included. Numerous sellers, not just in the Wrapper but may collectible publications, only have the street address and frankly, I haven't written a letter in years.

Rant over-please go about your day....

April 7th, 2012, 3:16 am #6

Jason
Agreed; I work in promotions for small events for a living, and you would be surprised how many organizers don't want any sort of contact information whatsoever in their ads or on their posters. We tell them that in this day and age, they need to provide an e-mail address, minimum.

It's kind of like restaurants that go through all the trouble of putting up a website with suitable graphics, a full menu and positive reviews... then don't bother to list their address or hours.

April 19th, 2012, 11:33 pm #7

Jason
Yeah, phone or at list email is a must. Although sometimes people call from Canada or overseas and leave their number expecting you to call them back. (And don't even mention they are out of the country.) Then you get a big bill a month later so that they could chat with you about cards because you called them back without a foreign calling plan. When calling from another country, the decent thing to do is to mention where you are calling from and give them an email address that they can respond to for free. Fortunately, the abuse rarely happens, but it certainly gets your attention when it does!

April 20th, 2012, 6:12 am #8

Jason
John Latina is a great guy. Bought a lot of key Look N See from him. He's very fair. I think he's just "old school."

April 20th, 2012, 11:57 am #9

Jason
I ended up sending John a letter with my contact information. He called me promptly once he received my letter. I ended up purchasing a few cards from him. It was a real pleasure talking to him. He certainly has a lot of knowledge about the hobby. Once we connected, he's been great to work with.

After being used to emails, scanned photos, and paypal for so many years, it was frustrating to have to send communication snail mail, but it worked in the end. Perhaps it's a lesson that everything in life doesn't have to fly by at light speed.....enjoy the hobby (at whatever pace) and the many different people and personalities that make up our card collecting world