October Pick-ups

October Pick-ups

October 3rd, 2017, 10:22 pm #1

Have always wondered about these Tutti-Frutti cards. I like 'um.

[/img]

Does anyone have any information on this blank backed 7" x 9" card from the 1893 Columbia Exposition? Are there others with different images? Is "World's Fair Gum" another name for a well know brand? Does anyone recognize the artist's signature? Speculation is welcome. - Jack J.

[/img]

October 4th, 2017, 1:03 am #2

I know that most of the team here collects newer issue, non-tobacco stuff, but there are a few of you still around that will appreciate this rare find. Here’s the expert description:

Chromolithograph printer's silk proof, 16.75 x 23 in., single sheet comprised of 25 rectangular tobacco cards featuring colorful and attractive portraits of 12 American actresses from the stage and screen, each identified in intricately designed border. San Francisco, CA: American Tobacco Co., ca 1910. The images represent the following actresses: Fannie Ward, Gertrude Hoffman, Laurette Taylor, Minnie Dupree, Blanche Ring, Hope Latham, Stella Hammerstein, Florence Oakley, Mrs. Leslie Carter, Marguerite Clark, Valeska Suratt, and Hilda Spong.

Each silk is credited to "Factory No. 171 1st Dist. Cal.," assigned to John Bollman Co., which began to manufacture cigars and other tobacco products in San Francisco in the 1860s. The American Tobacco Co. bought half of the Bollman stock in 1900, and the company was then conveyed to Liggett & Myers when the American Tobacco Co. was dissolved in 1911. The final separate silks here were likely distributed in packets of Pet Cigarettes.

A scarce series of tobacco silks, fancier and more elaborate in design than others issued at this time.

[/IMG]

October 4th, 2017, 2:56 pm #3

[/img]

Does anyone have any information on this blank backed 7" x 9" card from the 1893 Columbia Exposition? Are there others with different images? Is "World's Fair Gum" another name for a well know brand? Does anyone recognize the artist's signature? Speculation is welcome. - Jack J.

[/img]
silks don't get their props.......... Yours or something you saw somewhere?

Jack - the Chicago fair was EPIC. Mucho stuff produced. Think I remember a dedicated site for the expo?

October 4th, 2017, 5:16 pm #4

[/img]

[/img]
It's mine. I'll enjoy it for a while and then make it available for someone else to do the same. Hope all is good!

Jeff

October 5th, 2017, 1:00 am #5

[/img]

[/img]
Card No. 135 appears to be a new high number image for both Todd and Dan's gallery.

Jeff

[/IMG]

October 5th, 2017, 1:12 pm #6

[/img]

[/img]
Hey All!

Yes! they are still out there! just came in yesterday, T Card "shoe box find" from across the big pond (thanks Peter).

Not the best condition but they will go a long way in filling holes in my Master Sets!

TTYL!

Cliff

Last edited by Marslife on October 5th, 2017, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 5th, 2017, 10:35 pm #7

[/img]

[/img]
Jack, My wife is a huge fan of that particular World's Fair. She has some memorabilia from it. Of course, this doesn't help in any way to answer your question.

For my part here's another Dirty Dozen; some corner damage. That brings me to nine of twelve! Keeping my eyes peeled for those last three (109, 112, 113 in case anyone is looking to unload).

Last edited by PancakeBunny on October 6th, 2017, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 6th, 2017, 5:31 pm #8

[/img]

[/img]
I stumbled across this on eBay and was very happy to snag it:

It is the original art for a Groucho exhibit card. Hand inked and marked on the back with production notes.
Last edited by boxingcardman on October 6th, 2017, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 6th, 2017, 5:56 pm #9

[/img]

[/img]
wow look at me posting something besides '60s and '70s Topps cards LOL! According to my "American Tobacco Cards" these N342 cards are some of the earliest known tobacco inserts. I like images of actresses, and need to google this group. At auction the opening bid of $10 brought home these of beaters.
Larry

October 6th, 2017, 7:13 pm #10

[/img]

[/img]
Last month I shared the Beatles card with the meatloaf recipe on the reverse. This month I share four new pick-ups:
Larry

[url[/img][/url]