N85s?

N85s?

January 2nd, 2009, 1:39 pm #1

Does anyone know about the actual stamps found on the N85s? I have one that is missing most of its stamp (just a tiny scrap left) but what color there is, is a dark green. That matches neither the one shown in the gallery nor one for sale now on eBay. Did some have different stamps? Does anyone know?

TIA,

Laura

January 2nd, 2009, 2:28 pm #2

Laura, I have never seen 2 of the same card with the same stamp. The card back says "over a thousand varieties" and I believe it.

January 2nd, 2009, 2:36 pm #3

Does anyone know about the actual stamps found on the N85s? I have one that is missing most of its stamp (just a tiny scrap left) but what color there is, is a dark green. That matches neither the one shown in the gallery nor one for sale now on eBay. Did some have different stamps? Does anyone know?

TIA,

Laura
Another pic:

January 2nd, 2009, 4:21 pm #4

TIA,

Laura
the ones with US Stamps seem to be harder to find. I have a set with all foreign stamps and am trying to find a set with US Stamps. Of the ones with US Stamps I have only seen 3-4 different types. Sometimes I wonder if stamps were removed and replaced with other stamps at a later time. Any thoughts?

January 2nd, 2009, 5:19 pm #5

TIA,

Laura
Look at the back text. The promise is for a foreign stamp. U.S. stamps in common denominations would have been readily available. I would imagine that the cigarette buyer who got a U.S. stamp would have felt disappointed (or maybe cheated).

Also, it seems that the real attraction to the set was the stamp, not the card. I imagine stamps might have been routinely removed, but I am not so sure as to how often the cards were restored with other stamps.

However, in a strange juxtaposition of ideas, would it have been possible that Duke consistently issued foreign stamps and that the U.S. issues represent restorations?

January 2nd, 2009, 5:35 pm #6

TIA,

Laura
.. or maybe US stamps on cards sold outside US? Would then be foreign.

January 2nd, 2009, 6:38 pm #7

TIA,

Laura
comment - but I have difficulty with the US stamps ones. I put a couple of sets together. If I remember correctly I figurd the 2/3 I found with US stamps had been altered. Possible that they were original - or affixed in error from a pile of cancelled foreign stamps. I have a "T" series card from the ATC with "Columbian (exposition) and other postage stamps" with US stamp on it - but other than that and perhaps one of the "H" series featuring stamps - I think they should all be foreign stamps. WITHOUT a doubt - I handled at least 2 cards that had 1920's stamps on them - obviously incorrect. This requires a bit more research....... Excellent question.

January 3rd, 2009, 12:51 am #8

TIA,

Laura
This has turned into an interesting thread. Goodness knows, I've got lots of odd, old, foreign stamps (thousands of postcards in my office), but intriguing that the cards offer so many different ones (the one I have has some album residue and I can't see that part of the back.)

And while we're at it, do any of you know of a good website that has images of old stamps? I always wonder if any of these stamps are worth anything.

Thanks,

Laura
Last edited by LHaggarty on January 3rd, 2009, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 3rd, 2009, 1:52 am #9

TIA,

Laura
N85's with US Stamps on them tomorrow and comment on if I think they've been altered. I'll also look at some of my stamp guides to review the dates on the issuance of the stamps. Henry, I have a bunch of those T400+/- cards with stamps on them. They were issued by American Tobacco Company abroad in Australia if I'm not mistaken and the US Stamps on them are fine. They specifically state that they are Columbian Exposition (1890's) and other stamps. Haven't seen anything other than the 1 cent purple Columbian Exposition stamps on them and I've seen some red penny stamps on them and then foreign ones. I'll look through them tomorrow too. I have about 15-18 of them.

July 10th, 2012, 11:39 pm #10

TIA,

Laura
I was doing a search for T61 foreign stamp cards and found this thread (but nothing with T61's.

In the FWIW category, I have acquired several hundred of the N85's (trying to collect a "master set" with all three backs. While some are missing the stamp, none have US stamps. The countries which seem to predominate are Germany, The Netherlands, Great Britain, Austria, etc. I have virtually no stamps which are not European. All of the stamps on the cards I have are quite common (I also collect stamps).

Jon.