May 3rd, 2010, 3:25 pm #1

Some late April, early May pickups

Complete set of (16) Cracker Jack Bear Postcards E147

Some Ghirardelli and Frat Chocolates Postcards of California Missions
Ghirardelli

Frat Chocolates

Zatek Miss Pappoose Card E258

E280 Haas (maker of PEZ) Bookmarks

Candy box that probably contained Sa-Yo cards E202-E204?

Interesting Lot that included (4) N92 Directory of Merchants, N88a large Terrors of America type, Kinney Sweet Caporal Calendar Card (N242?), Duke Coupon and 3-4 other low grade tobacco cards.

Some general stuff for set building

May 3rd, 2010, 3:53 pm #2

Tom
I once received that sa-yo box with cards inside it, so I assume it relates.
Why did the mission post card seller price the ghardellis at 5 and the frat's at 9?

May 3rd, 2010, 4:06 pm #3

Ghirardelli

Frat Chocolates

Interesting Lot that included (4) N92 Directory of Merchants, N88a large Terrors of America type, Kinney Sweet Caporal Calendar Card (N242?), Duke Coupon and 3-4 other low grade tobacco cards.

Question.........no idea. Glad to get them at that. Some of the Ghirardelli's were dupes, so they'll make good trade bait for the others I need. That was the first time I'd seen the Sa-Yo box. Actually picked up a second one as well. Which cards did you get in the box?

May 3rd, 2010, 4:07 pm #4

Ghirardelli

Frat Chocolates

The Frat's aren't listed anywhere (yet) and there appears to be two sets of them.....one of the Missions and one of California Scenes.

May 3rd, 2010, 7:26 pm #5

Ghirardelli

Frat Chocolates

A nice rare-card pick up from REA at an unbelievably low price. I seriously thought it would for well into the thousands, it's really a tough card.

Kevin

------------------------------

www.AlteredCards.com - in-depth education on advanced card doctoring techniques & detection with detailed examples

May 3rd, 2010, 9:24 pm #6

Ghirardelli

Frat Chocolates

Kevin, That card has been at the top of my want list for a couple years now. I just picked this one up.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited by PSUinCT on May 4th, 2010, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, 2010, 7:36 am #7

Ghirardelli

Frat Chocolates

Dave , Lovely card . Is that the one Murrays recently had up for sale ?

Mark

May 4th, 2010, 10:05 am #8

Ghirardelli

Frat Chocolates

Is that from the same issue as Kevins card? Ihave about 15-20 of that set but not that card. Where did the v290 come from? I don't show that in my ACC......I stopped at v289......those are neat cards.....

May 4th, 2010, 11:45 am #9

Ghirardelli

Frat Chocolates

Yes, I don't know where they got the V290 from either for this series Tom. Its from the Hamilton Gum issue of these cards which I believe was released in the 1950's (1950 to maybe be exact).

The reason why I believe this is, is that the wrapper has a cowboy scene on it with one of the cowboy's saying "the laws got you now Tug Bailey", from the movie "Rider From Tucson" released in 1950. (no book was published prior from my research, just in case you were thinking that).

Also, the wrapper is a 2¢...the only other Canadian 2¢ wrapper I have seen is Hopalong Cassidy, this we know was released in 1950.

As you can see in the auction link below, three sets in one lot came from one person who had collected these as a kid (which would also make the Indian Chiefs 1950 or around that date as well!!)

http://www.classicauctions.net/Default. ... &lotid=442

Any other thoughts out there!?

Bobby

May 4th, 2010, 3:19 pm #10

Ghirardelli

Frat Chocolates

Mark, yes it was.

Tom, I'm not sure where PSA got that number. I'll ask them.

Here is the description taken from the REA Auction for this card.

One of the great rarities in all of nonsport card collecting is entitled "An Exciting Game" and at a glance appears to be an unknown card from the 1910 T53 Hassan Cowboy Series. Technically the card is not actually a T53 in that it is from a 1930s Canadian candy set that borrows the images from T53 Hassan Cowboy Series, with the exception of the image that appears on this card #32 which is unique to this set. This card is actually part of a 1930s Canadian 40-card set entitled "The Cowboy, His Life and Fun" (catalogued D25). Card #32 pictures a cowboy drawing his gun on the other players during a poker game. According to card-collecting folklore (and all we can do is report the story, which sounds very plausible to us) the image on this card was originally intended to be included in the T53 set, but was pulled from production in 1910 because it was deemed too violent and inappropriate for distribution by the manufacturer. Few card collectors are familiar with this card today. We can say with certainty that this is the first we have even become familiar with it. Among old-time advanced nonsports-card collectors and historians, however, it has been well known and held in extremely high esteem. Noted nonsports-card historian Chris Benjamin (former editor of Non-Sport Update and author of the classic reference work Sport Americana Price Guide to the Non-Sports Cards) has ranked this card as number three on his list of the ten rarest nonsports cards.
Last edited by PSUinCT on May 4th, 2010, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.