June pick-ups

June pick-ups

June 2nd, 2014, 11:07 pm #1

A few goodies to start the month.

Some nice Wings cards, courtesy of Cliff.

A Mickey Mouse Penny Card and a type from the General Baking "War Ships" series.

The back of the Penny Card. Each station seems to have had its own character -- Mickey looks to have been assigned to Amoco.

Very happy to receive these over the weekend!

And finally, because man does not live by cards alone, a nice selection of 1939 World's Fair stamps.

June 3rd, 2014, 12:15 am #2

Nice start to the month, Jason. Looks like you got one more for the R206 Gallery page. Way to go. - Jack J.

June 3rd, 2014, 12:18 pm #3

A Mickey Mouse Penny Card and a type from the General Baking "War Ships" series.

The back of the Penny Card. Each station seems to have had its own character -- Mickey looks to have been assigned to Amoco.

And finally, because man does not live by cards alone, a nice selection of 1939 World's Fair stamps.
Thanks, Jack! The seller (won't say who out of courtesy, but he frequents this site, if he'd like to reveal himself to take the credit) pointed out that there's yet another R206 type in the Sport Americana guide that isn't included in my post or in the Legendary auction. So there were at least four different masks made, despite Legendary advertising the lot as a two-mask "set" plus duplicate.

June 3rd, 2014, 12:53 pm #4

I enjoy your enthusiasm Jason. Be careful with the Mickey Mouse. Those are hand made.
A Big Little Book cutout glued onto a printed cardboard backer. They can peel if mishandled.

June 3rd, 2014, 4:11 pm #5

Thanks, Jim! Yeah, I had heard about the Penny Cards having been paste-ups from old Big Little Books... it was interesting to see that when I received mine in the mail yesterday (though had I not already heard that rumor, I probably would have assumed the grain of the cardboard just had an "old paper" texture about it -- everthing is sharp and crisp where it should be, card-wise). I have it tucked away safely in a binder in an Ultra Pro pocket holder.

I used to carefully catalog my collection alphabetically in pages in binders. Of course, this is when I was 12 on up through high school, and most of it was junk wax. Since getting back into non-sports cards in the past few years, I still put them in binders, but now they just kind of get in there roughly in the order I acquire them.

June 3rd, 2014, 6:48 pm #6

I'm positive I remember a couple of threads about it. Perhaps the search feature will help.

June 5th, 2014, 9:53 pm #7

Looks like we stalled out after Jason's great start of the month. Here's a Parkies box with five cards from Toronto. -Jack J.

June 9th, 2014, 10:25 pm #8

Where is everyone? It's been four days since the last post and it was me.

Glad to add this R165 War News Pictures wrapper to the collection. - Jack J.

June 12th, 2014, 6:59 pm #9

This came up at a local auction and I just had to get it. Never knew there was a cigar factory in Bennington. The inside label is the Bennington battle monument.

June 12th, 2014, 9:24 pm #10

Been a bit slow lately but happy to get this Big Alarm set from Legendary

A few nice Allen and Ginters

R809 Davy Crockett Box

F212

And finally this legendary lot brought me two shy of a full set of the Ziegler candy space cards

Last edited by jbnonsport on June 12th, 2014, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.