JUNE 2013 PICK UPS

JUNE 2013 PICK UPS

June 3rd, 2013, 2:07 am #1

Actually, since I haven't had time to post much lately, these are more like April through June pickups.

Last seven I needed for the Blatz set.

When he was about 7, my dad collected half of the "Zorro" set. He passed them on to me sometime when I was in high school. One of my goals this year was to complete that set. Thanks to four different vendors at the Philly Non-Sports Show last month, I was able to make that happen.

Apparently these were either soaked from an album or stored in a damp place. The eBay listing didn't mention that, but for about 50 cents per card, I really can't complain.

The sticker and card in the first column are from the Fleer set. The rest are Cocoa Puffs premiums.

That's a "Pulver's Pictures" card at the bottom right. Very happy to cross that off my "type" list.

Last 11 I needed for the "Yule Laff" set.

It's not in the greatest condition, but...

...how many "Fighting Marines" ad panel cards am I ever going to have the chance to own?

I had all four of the exhibit actress cards individually, but I thought it would be neat to have them in an uncut panel.

Sorry this one came out blurry.

Doeskin issue.

Last five I needed for the "Troopers" portion of this set.

Front...

...and back.

Not sure what country these are from, but I like them.

Wish the coating wasn't so worn, but it is what it is.

I was really surprised I won this lot.

"Wise Ties" has been on my want list for a long time.

Never thought I'd actually see either one of these, much less have the chance to buy both within two hours' time! But that's one of the great things about collecting non-sports... you never know what opportunities are waiting just around the corner.
Last edited by a71678 on June 3rd, 2013, 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 3rd, 2013, 5:46 pm #2

June 3rd, 2013, 6:53 pm #3

Actually, since I haven't had time to post much lately, these are more like April through June pickups.

When he was about 7, my dad collected half of the "Zorro" set. He passed them on to me sometime when I was in high school. One of my goals this year was to complete that set. Thanks to four different vendors at the Philly Non-Sports Show last month, I was able to make that happen.

Apparently these were either soaked from an album or stored in a damp place. The eBay listing didn't mention that, but for about 50 cents per card, I really can't complain.

The sticker and card in the first column are from the Fleer set. The rest are Cocoa Puffs premiums.

That's a "Pulver's Pictures" card at the bottom right. Very happy to cross that off my "type" list.

...how many "Fighting Marines" ad panel cards am I ever going to have the chance to own?

I had all four of the exhibit actress cards individually, but I thought it would be neat to have them in an uncut panel.

Doeskin issue.

Front...

...and back.

Never thought I'd actually see either one of these, much less have the chance to buy both within two hours' time! But that's one of the great things about collecting non-sports... you never know what opportunities are waiting just around the corner.
Are you cornering the market on advertising material? That's a FANTASTIC piece! I assume it has some restoration work performed? Thanks for posting it!

June 3rd, 2013, 6:57 pm #4

Doeskin issue.

Front...

...and back.

Thanks Tom, it has had some minor work done but overall very little. One of the nicest I have seen FWIW.

Cheers,

John

June 3rd, 2013, 7:01 pm #5

Doeskin issue.

Front...

...and back.

from an auction? It really pops, that's for sure. You're going to have to build an extra wing on your house with all this wall hanging items you've been procuring lately. Is that pretty much your focus right now---advertising/banners/etc?

p.s. love the Baseball vignette in the lower right.........

June 3rd, 2013, 7:34 pm #6

Doeskin issue.

Front...

...and back.

Thanks Tom, this was a private deal. I do like them a lot not sure if its my only focus but I do really seem to be excited and attracted to them almost more than cards. I know what a horrible to thing to admit on a public forum.

Luckily in a new office so more room than home but finding wall space is getting tougher not going to lie.

June 3rd, 2013, 7:48 pm #7

Doeskin issue.

Front...

...and back.

Jason,

I know about the King Kong test card but what is the other one?

Great pickups by the way.

June 3rd, 2013, 9:02 pm #8

Doeskin issue.

Front...

...and back.

Super Pick Ups..nice swath of different "stuff"

Crazy cool Banner.

Tony: Flash Gordon #15

CR

June 4th, 2013, 10:06 am #9

Doeskin issue.

Front...

...and back.

Spirited bidding in EBAY ending with the securing of 3 of the
last 4 needed rope border cardboard posters.
My last poster of that set, which I bid approx 125.00
sold for over 170.00

Bottom line - I still have just 2 completed cardboard poster sets.

The fourth set, the silver border set,
won't be completed in my lifetime.

June 4th, 2013, 1:34 pm #10

Doeskin issue.

Front...

...and back.

A big, big thanks to Allen McHenry, who help me complete this set with these 3 cards. I was kind of hoping he was going to send the Howard Hughes and Amelia Earhart. Well at least I got to hold them when I visited with him. Again a most generous deal for the 3 cards.