January Pick Ups

January Pick Ups

January 3rd, 2014, 1:56 am #1

I've been away for most of the last two months, so I'm way behind on stuff, but here are a few of the cards I picked up in the last couple of months.

Alan

Last edited by AlanRM on January 3rd, 2014, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 3rd, 2014, 1:45 pm #2

This beauty gets me one more card closer to a complete set of R3.

January 5th, 2014, 12:22 am #3

I've been away for most of the last two months, so I'm way behind on stuff, but here are a few of the cards I picked up in the last couple of months.

Alan

It was a good Christmas at my house!

Full set of these. The next two were Christmas presents to myself.

And finally, the best gift of all, from my loving wife. It wasn't a surprise, as my stepdaughter accidentally spilled the beans about a month before Christmas, but it certainly was appreciated! She said she heard me talking about a vendor who had one (for reference, not for sale) at the last Philly Non-Sports Show and came here to learn more about it. So thanks to Tom and the Network 54 board, as well!

January 5th, 2014, 9:16 pm #4

Alan

In Friday's mail...

I've always wanted this set - thanks Flub!

Had a pretty good weekend....

Mostly Coffee...

I thought these were cool - I guess they are Halloweiner Premiums...

Here they are unfolded...

Mostly Exhibits. Never saw the Pirate or G-Men cards before...

Our Gang Exhibits from 1929...

I always loved the coloring on this set...

Nice 30's-40's cards including High number Lone Ranger and some "Dirty Dozen" cards...

Hey Pete!
Do you know what the deal is with these squares on the back?
(they are printed on the card)...

Great color on these G-Men...

Great color on these as well. Complete set of high numbers...

Series of 288...

Series of 312...

Last edited by non-sport.com on January 6th, 2014, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 6th, 2014, 2:24 am #5

Alan

Todd -- that's a nice lot of Blackstones. They seem to show up as sets fairly often, and I've had magic collectors tell me that a wax box consisted of 24 packs, each with a single "card" and prop, so a box was a whole set. (Magic Set collectors consider these to be a magic set.) Can anyone confirm that distribution?

About 15 years ago, a set showed up in the Wrapper for, I think, $100. I called the seller and Ron Wilson had beat me to it, but he graciously sold it to me for $200.

You know, don't you, that there are variant wrappers? (different prize premiums)

January 6th, 2014, 2:52 am #6

Alan

Bill,
Yes I do. Do you know how many there are? I have cataloged 7 different.

January 6th, 2014, 1:14 pm #7

Alan

Todd, sorry, I have no idea what those 2 black squares are on the back of the CARD-O. Want to sell it?

January 6th, 2014, 1:25 pm #8

Alan

Pete, sorry no I don't want to sell it. A guy had a little stack and I flipped them over to see if any were joker or stag backs and this one card had those squares. I had never seen anything like it before and wondered if it is some new variation or just some fluke on this single card. You better go check your dupes!

January 8th, 2014, 8:06 pm #9

Alan

I haven't been sharing much lately so here's a few neat things. Unusual pick-up. Monster sized display of the BB team die-cuts. The framing probable cost more than the 250. I paid for the piece - the 10 die-cuts usually bring 50. - 75. each (I used to get twice as much when the hobby was stronger/different). I'm a bit conflicted as I really don't like the way the piece looks all that much - but it seems a shame to pirtate the 10 cards and destroy the display. I suppose I'll just look to resell it down the line and continue to seek a set that could be put in holders

The best of the T8 "cards" (no way are they cards - they are premiums but I'm not in charge)

The most interesting pick-up EVER. Not super graphics as it's a bit primitive and the condition marred by a bend in the middle and paperloss on right (I plan on conserving/restoring this one - something I haven't done in over 15 years) BUT it shows a man pulling a sexy N card from a box of Duke cigarettes. Other then a few postcards and a couple cards from the the duke stamp set - this is the only contemporary poster I have ever seen depicting a card being removed from a pack.

album snagged on feebay for less than 25. (VERY clean). Tough hatband silk with graphic. Paid touch under 300. which I think is fair as they rarely come around.

from our fearless leader. Beautiful condition and graphics......

Stand-up advertising piece from a series. Third one I've owned. Quite scarce.

Decent mid-grade set @ hint less than 5$ a card.

edited to clarify my statement about T8's....

Last edited by 1880snonsports on January 9th, 2014, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 8th, 2014, 8:09 pm #10

Alan

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc