January 2010 Pick Ups

January 2010 Pick Ups

January 7th, 2010, 3:55 am #1

getting off to a decent start so far....

the # 6 treasure island card is supposedly the most difficult card in the set. at this point, there is only 1 psa 9 and now only 1 sgc 96 - both highest graded.

Last edited by Thrill-of-the-Hunt on January 7th, 2010, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 7th, 2010, 1:13 pm #2

Tough H-628 Flags of Nations variation

January 8th, 2010, 5:08 pm #3

the # 6 treasure island card is supposedly the most difficult card in the set. at this point, there is only 1 psa 9 and now only 1 sgc 96 - both highest graded.

Here's a crop from a HOW Sheet (of 35 full cards, and 13 partial cards; 6 across and 8 down). The interesting thing about this sheet is that the back was run through the printing process 3 times.

Here is what I have observed about this sheet:
A. All of the front images are printed with the same orientation.
B. All of the front images are different from the reverse card numbers.
C. "1st" back printing pass shows a proper alignment with the front cards; different card numbers and text, one column card orientation is 180 degrees different from the front card orientation.
D. The "2nd" back printing pass is the same as the first, but offset nearly 1/3 of a card "higher" than the first printing pass.
E. The "3rd" back printing pass is the Black image printing for the front image; same cards as the 1st & 2nd back pass.

Here is an excerpt from the sheet; this scan shows the card fronts & the card backs for the same 4 cards. Note that the orientation of the right column (backs) is 180 degrees from the adjacent, left column.

Here is a larger scan of 1 card back; with the issued card image for the "3rd" back pass:

January 8th, 2010, 5:16 pm #4

I pick up two partial sheets with similar overprint I will try and get u pictures this weekend.

One sheet has black with with yellow applied correct and blue off a inch and full color on the reverse with black double printed but off 1/4 inch but also overprinted with the text.
Second shee is blank back full front with black double printed and of 1/2 inch also text is printed but on the left which is the edge you can not read the text only on the right which is cut down the middle or 4 3/4 card in. the print fades right to left top to bottom.

NOTHING like handing a sheet from this era the feel smell vivid color minus the blasted double black overprint....
Last edited by mwoolworth on January 9th, 2010, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 8th, 2010, 7:42 pm #5

nice pickup of the HOW sheet.

thanks for sharing the scan. Looks very nice !!!!

January 8th, 2010, 8:11 pm #6

Mark,
That is pretty neat. It looks like it was a sheet the printer used to align the presses. If you notice the front color registration is a little off as well. It is amazing that something like this has survived as one would think this was just scrap and would have been thrown away.

January 8th, 2010, 11:31 pm #7

MarK: I wanted that! (congrats!)

January 9th, 2010, 2:09 am #8

January 9th, 2010, 3:00 pm #9

A few from late Dec. that I got around to scanning...

January 9th, 2010, 3:30 pm #10

Here are some R44 Don't Let It Happen Over Here cards I just picked up. I still need Nos. 2 & 5 to finish the set: