"Home Made" Tobacco Cards? $10. +

"Home Made" Tobacco Cards? $10. +

July 11th, 2010, 12:49 pm #1

Would you make up Tobacco cards and sell them for 10 bucks a piece on Ebay? There is no tobacco company associated with these cards, they are being sold that way just for the money. If they were'nt called tobacco cards would you be able to get $1.00 for them? The product number is 3004 4469 8085, and there are plenty of them. Sorry, I do not know how to do the link. But would you do it? What do you think of it? Really would like to hear what the veterans of this Net think. I hate it.

TM
Last edited by hfire on July 11th, 2010, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 11th, 2010, 1:21 pm #2

Literally tons of people out there doing all kinds of things with reprints, copies and other techniques to falsely age cards or otherwise attempt to defraud people who, generally don't have as much knowledge on tobacco cards. Ten bucks isn't a huge amount so its likely not gonna get someone in too much trouble but I don't like it one bit. It is done to confuse people and it gets people frustrated with our hobby when they find out their ten dollar card isn't worth really a penny.

July 11th, 2010, 3:16 pm #3

Would you make up Tobacco cards and sell them for 10 bucks a piece on Ebay? There is no tobacco company associated with these cards, they are being sold that way just for the money. If they were'nt called tobacco cards would you be able to get $1.00 for them? The product number is 3004 4469 8085, and there are plenty of them. Sorry, I do not know how to do the link. But would you do it? What do you think of it? Really would like to hear what the veterans of this Net think. I hate it.

TM
I asked him what tobacco brand is associated with this card, waiting for a reply. At least it's free shipping

I don't care if a small "company" wants to produce cards but don't say it is a tobacco card if it's not and don't call it rare. Although on that aspect they are just following the path opened by big companies like Upper Deck (3 cases incentive, etc).

July 11th, 2010, 3:29 pm #4

TM
Does he state that it's a tobacco card or is the name of the company Tobacco Classics ?
His customers seem happy and he offers returns .

Mark

July 11th, 2010, 6:23 pm #5

TM
I think it's just an offshoot from the art card thing. There's a guy that sells t card size baseball player paintings under the helmar name. some are really well done, and most sell for $100+. As long as they're not being sold as originals i'm ok with it.(They're sold as tiny works of art, which they are)

The reprints are a different thing altogether, I don't get the whole reprint something, stain and wrinkle it and declare it as a reprint that's in g-vg condition.

Of course I collect a lot of stuff that's outside of what's "acceptable". Like all those 1980's unlicensed cards. Declared as worthless since the printer could just make more. Upper deck actually has done that more than once, so I don't think it's a good argument. They're actually tougher than you'd think, and still really cheap.

Art cards with an announced very limited print run? Maybe junk, maybe just a fun thing, maybe something more in 20 years or so.

Steve B

July 11th, 2010, 6:47 pm #6

TM
Last edited by djrauctions on April 3rd, 2013, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 11th, 2010, 7:23 pm #7

TM
Since most people think it is ok. I figure this guy is going to make $500 plus this week. I think I will call mine Super Rare "Tobacco Lovers Cards" $20. a piece. 1 of 2,since I might need money the following week. Maybe I can even get PSA to grade 'em then I could charge $99. each!

looking for N long cut cards for under $7 tmala@usa.com
TM
Last edited by hfire on July 12th, 2010, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 15th, 2010, 8:10 pm #8

TM
In the beginning of 2008 I had a graphics company make me 5 complete sets ( including error cards ) of N2 indian pins . They got the graphics from the SGC Website of N2 Indians . While I have no intention of selling these sets , I have given given three of them to friends and family .I was told that since no mention of ALLEN & GINTER was on the pin and only the image was on the pin the pins did not violate any trademark laws . I would agree that this is very different ... if the cards are no longer under copyright potection and are being sold as reproductions I do not know if any laws are being broken !I agree I question the practice ... but since the complete set only cost about $35.00 for the complete 54 pin / card set . I can see the temptation and believe it is another reason to buy graded cards .

July 16th, 2010, 11:22 pm #9

TM
The cards being sold aren't reprints, and I can't see any amateur status being at risk since all of the people pictured are already famous, and some are long dead.

The cards are probably technically "illegal". I can't imagine he's gotten the rights to the images used. His stated quantity of 10 may provide a way through a loophole. At one time NFL properties said they would refuse to prosecute someone making a "set" of less than I think 6 players. Other licensing groups may have had similar policies. (Think Star co baseball cards, a number of sets consisting of one player) There's a whole bunch of exceptions to copyright and rights, and one pertains to "original works of art". so he just might slide by on that. It would probably have to be determined in court.

Which brings up the other way of looking at it. Yes, it's wrong to use - Let's say Amelia Earharts image without permission. But the image may actually be public domain depending on when it was published and who published it.
But the cost of determining that added to the cost of even having a good lawyer write a letter will be more than he'll make from that card. In other words, if he's making $500/week = $26000/year that's big money to me, maybe to some of you, but maybe not for an estate/living celeb. that charges more than that for rights. I've heard basic rights figures of around $50K for various rights and that was maybe 10 years ago.

Steve B

July 28th, 2010, 9:04 am #10

TM
Hello to All ,

Apologies for 'outing ' a live auction . I find this rather disturbing .

If you don't agree with this type of scam please use the ' report item 'link on the listing .
I have .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0504018921

Mark
Last edited by TheNewtonian on July 28th, 2010, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.