HELP! Need Storage Ideas

October 27th, 2016, 1:40 am #11

My BF 2-2 Movie Star pennants are out of hand. I can't figure out a good way to store/display these little gems satisfactorily. I need to keep them in alphabetical order, available for enjoyment and protected. Everything I think of is very labor intensive and doesn't do the job. I've:

- Made little baggies for them and hung them on a string on the wall - nice, but I got tired of making baggies and ran out of room. Also, I was concerned about fading.
- Stuck them in a box and relied on my outdated list for new purchases - My ability to keep good lists is, well...
- Put them in alternating directions in sheet protectors, five to a page in a binder - Impossible to add new ones in alpha order.
- I refuse to sew them together in a manageable pinwheel.

Has anyone invented a good way to enjoy these wonderful little triangles? I'm desperate at about 140 of them. Thanks - Jack J.
Todd - I got on the Ultrapro website and could not find them, guess you are right. Well, I can continue to make my own. I do have a good quality heat sealing machine, so no problem.

Jon.

October 27th, 2016, 2:12 am #12

My BF 2-2 Movie Star pennants are out of hand. I can't figure out a good way to store/display these little gems satisfactorily. I need to keep them in alphabetical order, available for enjoyment and protected. Everything I think of is very labor intensive and doesn't do the job. I've:

- Made little baggies for them and hung them on a string on the wall - nice, but I got tired of making baggies and ran out of room. Also, I was concerned about fading.
- Stuck them in a box and relied on my outdated list for new purchases - My ability to keep good lists is, well...
- Put them in alternating directions in sheet protectors, five to a page in a binder - Impossible to add new ones in alpha order.

Has anyone invented a good way to enjoy these wonderful little triangles? I'm desperate at about 140 of them. Thanks - Jack J.
Jon,
I too like the Ultra Pro pages. However, the quality of these are decent. My problem is I use my shrink wrap machine which has a heating arm that gets a bit too hot. If I leave the heat element on a fraction of a second too long it ends up chopping the page in half. It ended up being more cost effective to just buy this other brand when I need these vertical 2 pockets as I was destroying too many one pockets and the seal was also never quite in the middle since I have to eyeball it.

October 27th, 2016, 1:07 pm #13

Todd - I can see how too much heat might be a problem. My sealer is adjustable, so not a problem there. U-line model H-306.

As to getting the centering correct, you need to re-calibrate your eyeball!!

Seriously, I made a form to center the sheet. I won't claim perfection, but it works to +- 1/8 of an inch. Just cut a piece of cardboard to hold to the free side of the sheet.

Jon.

October 31st, 2016, 3:16 pm #14

The box of two vertical pocket pages came. I cut inserts from card stock and slipped them into the pockets. This allowed me to go back to back with the pennants. With four pennants to a page, it's a little less bulky in the binders.

Thanks all for your suggestions and discussion. I always enjoy threads that show how fellow collectors collect and manage their collections. - Jack J.

November 1st, 2016, 12:22 pm #15

Shoot a picture of the final product Jack...........I like seeing these albums full of goodies.........glad it worked out for you........

November 1st, 2016, 5:22 pm #16

Tom - Here's a shot of the two books. After your wonderful share of pins in another thread, how could I refuse.

I was torn with the decision to insert them the way they are or with the wide edge down. If I did the latter, if they slid down in the page it wouldn't crush the point. I opted to keep them upright.

- Jack J.

November 2nd, 2016, 2:16 pm #17

Beautiful stuff Jack! Do you leave some blank spots along the way to be able to add new acquisitions? They really pop in those pages and It's such a better way to store them with being able to look at them. Congrats!

November 2nd, 2016, 3:51 pm #18

No, I didn't leave any spaces. I prepared a bunch more pages and they are in the back of the second binder. If and when I get more pennants, I will just insert new pages where I need them and then I will have blank spaces. - Jack J.

November 2nd, 2016, 6:47 pm #19

Jack, those do look great. I bet the paper and the fact you have them back to back helps keep them from sliding down the page.

November 2nd, 2016, 10:28 pm #20

It works pretty well until I start flipping the pages. Then they may move around a bit. If I'm careful it's not too bad. It's tempting to put a little double stick tape on the back of each pennant, but it offends the preservationist in me. I wonder if a piece of cloth or something else a bit rough to be used as a backer might keep them in place better. Hmmmm. - JJ
Last edited by fallbrookjack on November 2nd, 2016, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.