General Sickles card in the site banner.

General Sickles card in the site banner.

July 12th, 2017, 12:14 am #1

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what set the general sickles card on the left side of this sites banner is from? Thanks for any help.

Mark

July 12th, 2017, 12:59 am #2

It is from the T64 set - D. H. McAlpin Tobacco Generals.
http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/T64/go.html

July 12th, 2017, 1:13 am #3

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what set the general sickles card on the left side of this sites banner is from? Thanks for any help.

Mark
Thank you Bill!

July 12th, 2017, 12:13 pm #4

Hello,

Mark
A VERY tough set.......

July 14th, 2017, 4:19 pm #5

Hello,

Mark
A set I'm working on and I have this card in worse shape. About 2 years since I last picked one up from this set. have about 8.

Interesting side note. My friend and neighbor from a few doors down had the last name of Sickles. Direct descendent. Something bad happened to General Sickles but I forget what it was. I need to check.

July 14th, 2017, 6:53 pm #6

Hello,

Mark
The General had personal problems:

Born to a wealthy family in New York City, Sickles was involved in a number of public scandals, most notably the killing of his wife's lover, Philip Barton Key II, son of Francis Scott Key. He was acquitted after using temporary insanity as a legal defense for the first time in United States history. This became a defense associated with 'crimes of passion'.

Do not piss your neighbor off!!

He also had health and competency issues:

His military career ended at the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863, after he moved his III Corps (without orders) to an untenable position where it was virtually destroyed. He was wounded by cannon fire and had to have his leg amputated.

Do not take any military advice from your neighbor!

July 14th, 2017, 8:32 pm #7

Hello,

Mark
An t64 just popped up on eBay with a price tag of 400 bucks. It's in decent shape, but that seems steep. What would those of you in the know expect to pay for these cards?

July 14th, 2017, 10:01 pm #8

Hello,

Mark
$500 each cause I have several nice ones I'll sell. LMK

July 15th, 2017, 12:18 am #9

Hello,

Mark
Just found the card your referring to, that card is VG at best. I haven't looked at mine in quite some time but as I recall they're Ex-M at least.

July 15th, 2017, 12:28 am #10

Hello,

Mark
Technically Good I would think but the major faults are the corners. Not too bad.

Scaryclown, do you really have some? I may be interested, just not sure $500 is doable unless Lee or Jackson or high grade.