First Batman trading cards?

First Batman trading cards?

June 30th, 2013, 12:58 am #1

Anyone know if there were any pre-1966 licensed Batman trading cards? I know that year saw the Topps releases, including TV-based sets and Comic Foldees, and there were also some card games.

Just wondering if there were any older 1940s or 1950s Batman sets like there were for Superman. Also if the Topps 1966 sets were the very first licensed Batman sets.

Thanks.

June 30th, 2013, 1:41 pm #2

delete double post

Last edited by nsaddict on June 30th, 2013, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 30th, 2013, 1:44 pm #3

Anyone know if there were any pre-1966 licensed Batman trading cards? I know that year saw the Topps releases, including TV-based sets and Comic Foldees, and there were also some card games.

Just wondering if there were any older 1940s or 1950s Batman sets like there were for Superman. Also if the Topps 1966 sets were the very first licensed Batman sets.

Thanks.
Hi Jay, good question as your posting has prompted me to write something about this topic that has been on my mind for quite some time. I'm not aware of any Batman sets prior to 1966 but want to mention the first appearence of The Bat Man with trading cards. The year was 1936, issued by Wolverine Gum from Detriot. A set of 24 Strange True Srories cards (R144) with various topics icluding the last card, #24 titled The Bat Man. Fast forward to 1938 when Action Comics introduces the iconic creation of Superman. It was hugely popular and DC comics wanted new superheroes. In the spring of 1939 The Bat Man makes its very first appearence. With all this said, the STS card predates the initial comic book hero by 3 years. It is my belief that the 1936 card spawned the creation of the caped crusader.

July 1st, 2013, 2:42 am #4

Thanks.
Thanks Richard - very interesting information. I wonder if Bill Kane was somehow influenced by the Strange But True card when he developed the Batman character.
Jay

January 17th, 2015, 8:19 am #5

Hi Jay, good question as your posting has prompted me to write something about this topic that has been on my mind for quite some time. I'm not aware of any Batman sets prior to 1966 but want to mention the first appearence of The Bat Man with trading cards. The year was 1936, issued by Wolverine Gum from Detriot. A set of 24 Strange True Srories cards (R144) with various topics icluding the last card, #24 titled The Bat Man. Fast forward to 1938 when Action Comics introduces the iconic creation of Superman. It was hugely popular and DC comics wanted new superheroes. In the spring of 1939 The Bat Man makes its very first appearence. With all this said, the STS card predates the initial comic book hero by 3 years. It is my belief that the 1936 card spawned the creation of the caped crusader.

Hi Richard , long time no see .

You might well be correct that the STS card spurned the Caped Crusader but we must also consider the other Bat Man influences that were around at the time .

Feb 1936 .

Last edited by kurlywurly on January 17th, 2015, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 18th, 2015, 7:43 pm #6

Thanks.
It might be a bit of a stretch, but in 1943 a "thank you" postcard showing Batman and Robin was issued for contibuting to the Infantile Paralysis fund. Girls received a similar card picturing Wonder Woman.

January 21st, 2015, 1:12 am #7

Thanks.
Wow, that Batman pulp is pretty risqué! And it doesn't waste time getting down to the naughty nitty gritty! The very first paragraph says:

"Sometimes, he loved the woman who had been his fiancee, and other times, he cared only for his furry mate."

Who-- or WHAT was the furry mate? (Certainly not Robin, I HOPE!) And exactly what kind of love was he practicing on his mate? (Where's the SPCA when you need them?)

The #24 "Batman" card was one of the first Strange True Stories cards I ever owned, purchased from Hugh Jones. (Nearly every time we spoke afterwards, he wanted to buy it back.) Hugh's prices were rather steep, but it was awfully nice to have a dealer that you could turn to provide those impossible cards (even if the prices were hard to swallow). Between losing him and Macalouso, tough to find card collecting became a heck of a lot harder.

January 25th, 2015, 2:10 am #8

Thanks.
The Bat Man rocks!

I think Richard Lapointe may be onto something about the inspiration of Batman -

The first time I read Richard's highly intriguing idea that points directly at the Wolverine Bat Man card as the inspiration for the "Caped Crusader" I very much wanted to own a Bat Man card...and yes, it's my fave card.

I personally think Richard's story has merit and I think it's one of the best postings on this site (ditto for Richard's posting about the Heinz Hughes card - my absolute favorite posting of all time).....I love history combined with rare cards...throw in an Iconic image, and you've got it all...

And I absolutely love looking at The Bat Man card...I never tire of it...and if there's one card I'm proud to own, it's The Bat Man....

allen mchenry houston texas

...with help from my good friend "Natalie"
Last edited by allenmc on February 24th, 2015, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 22nd, 2015, 8:18 am #9

Thanks.
Hi Folks ,

Hi Allen , as always you show a nice card

following a lead from our man out in California ..

Comic-book creator Bob Kane said in his 1989 autobiography Batman and Me that the villain of the 1930 film The Bat Whispers was an inspiration for his character Batman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020668/

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/T ... edir_esc=y

Last edited by kurlywurly on February 22nd, 2015, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 22nd, 2015, 8:10 pm #10

Thanks.
Just wondering if Natalie could be my friend too? Even without the card.