February pickups

February pickups

February 4th, 2017, 1:15 am #1

I have a few more things coming in, but I'll start the month off. I'm not sure where all these R141s are coming from, but I'm very happy to have my set complete. I scanned against a black background in case Dan wanted to replace the gallery image for the Welsh Guard.

Not a bad start to the month at all since I never really envisioned that I'd ever complete this set a year or two ago.

February 4th, 2017, 6:43 am #2

Daniel, nice pick-up. I still need the "Italian Black Shirt" to complete my R141 set, if anyone has an extra.

I got around to scanning a few late January and early Feb pick-ups...

1.) A tough trio of N60's, including perhaps the first photographic card of an athlete? From my estimate the N60 is a 1880-1881 or so issue...

2.) More C52's (these are SOOO much tougher than T218's). I am down to only 11 needed for the 109 card set

3.) Nice Hodge-Podge of types and interesting cards

4.) Nice lot of W585 cards

February 4th, 2017, 3:05 pm #3

I have a few more things coming in, but I'll start the month off. I'm not sure where all these R141s are coming from, but I'm very happy to have my set complete. I scanned against a black background in case Dan wanted to replace the gallery image for the Welsh Guard.

Not a bad start to the month at all since I never really envisioned that I'd ever complete this set a year or two ago.
Rhett -

Nice group of pick-ups. I'm curious about what you've labelled as W585 - a set which I am not familiar, but notice that they look similar to several E and T issues. Do these have blank-backs? What kind/thickness of stock are they printed on and what are the card dimensions? Can you provide a checklist, or a start to one? .....and finally, can you post or send me a 300 dpi of your favorite, so that I can create a future NSB listing (my e-mail is nscards@comcast.net).

Thanks, Chris
Last edited by nscards on February 4th, 2017, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 4th, 2017, 3:17 pm #4

W585 is essentially a blank backed version of the E123 set, similar to the W575-1 being a blank backed version of the E121 American Caramel baseball card set. The ones above mirror the E123 Series of 120 set and these are all on pretty thin paper, there are also W585's that mirror the E123 series If 80 as well but can be found on thicker stock.

An interesting side note is that I have noticed there are actually 2 slightly different backs for the E123 Series of 80 set, the main difference being the words that begin the last line of text in the opening paragraph on the back.

February 4th, 2017, 3:36 pm #5

February 4th, 2017, 9:43 pm #6

sweet looking ginter trio!! Think I still don't have an N60 after trading my only one but have to check. So you think the A&G issue precedes the BTA athletes?

February 4th, 2017, 10:57 pm #7

The N60 set probably doesn't predate the BTA set as the same image is used as the artwork for the N344 set for Hanlan. I would surmise they were made about the same time. I like the photographic nature of N60 a little better, but I still love the N344's.

I have always assumed the N344 set was an 1880-1881 or so issue as there were some really well publicized races between Hanlan and Courtney in between 1878 early 1880 and they were the two Oarsmen featured as they were battling each other to be champion between that time period.

February 4th, 2017, 11:27 pm #8

Looks like Feb. is starting off well!

Gary, I like those Weber cards! Let me know if they are for sale.

February 5th, 2017, 12:09 am #9

The Scanlens wrapper and card from 1982 is pretty far out of the era that I collect, but they tie directly to the 1959 Wacky Plaks that I do remember from when I was a kid.

The art on these Brooksie cards might give me nightmares, but I like them anyway.

A group of bread cards that move several sets just a bit closer to completion. - Jack J.

February 5th, 2017, 12:21 am #10

Jack, Nice bread cards!!

My recent pickups...

I love these old multi-pack tray bottoms! They are so colorful!

Bread, bread, bread!!!!

These are interesting. The art looks pretty early. They are numbered on the back (#1 & #2), anyone have others?