FEB PICK UPS

February 18th, 2011, 9:20 pm #31

this is really a rip as these are my first pick ups and they are ALL for trade as well
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Todd:

The Cracker Jack U.N. Battle Planes are neat! How big are they and in what year were they issued?

February 18th, 2011, 9:25 pm #32

this is really a rip as these are my first pick ups and they are ALL for trade as well
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Those are scarce as hens teeth.......I think I have 2-3 of them along with 6-7 of the 1936 Goudey proofs.......

February 18th, 2011, 9:43 pm #33

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Balticprince,
Yeah they are neat! Issued in Canada during World War II. They measure approx. 3 x 2.5 inches and were issued with semi-rounded corners.

February 18th, 2011, 9:50 pm #34

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thought this thing was really interesting. It looks like a little booklet but has an attached fold out strip of metallic gold transfers inside...

And here is my favorite pickup...

February 18th, 2011, 9:54 pm #35

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

February 19th, 2011, 2:39 am #36

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

February 19th, 2011, 4:55 am #37

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Todd:

The large pile on the left looks whiter and brighter than does the pile on the right. Are they two different series?

What puzzles me though is that the Non-Sport Bible reports that the cards in each of the three series were the same size yet the cards in your right hand pile look smaller and squarer than those in the left hand pile?

Last edited by Balticprince on February 19th, 2011, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 19th, 2011, 5:14 pm #38

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Actually they are 2 different sets. They printed 25 cards for Junior Mints (cards on left) and 25 different for Pom Poms (on right). The coloring is a little different because the candy box coloring is different. I think the Pom Pom's are printed with more red giving them that look. The size may by just a trick with my scanner. Both groups are roughly the same size. However, I believe both sets were issued in 2 different sizes (I have not seen a small version of the Junior Mints but believe they exist).

To show the sizes here are 2 Pom Pom cards scanned at the same resolution:

(large - 4 inches wide)

(small - 3 5/16 inches wide)

You'll notice some other color and detail differences as well.

February 19th, 2011, 5:21 pm #39

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Day 2 pickups - a little light but got these...

And this which I thought was really neat (R447)...

Anyone know how high up the numbers go?

February 19th, 2011, 6:05 pm #40

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Rick P really like the Movie Gum cards. I never see any of those for sale; at least not where I am looking.