Debunking Gum Inc. Tintype Cartoons R189

Debunking Gum Inc. Tintype Cartoons R189

April 27th, 2007, 12:40 pm #1

These Post Cards were not a failed experiment, and were not sold in packs with gum. They were given to dealers as an incentive, to be sold over the counter. The set total is 24.

February 26th, 2017, 9:11 pm #2

I just picked up an R189 Tintype type card and it got me wondering why they are classified as an R card. Is it simply because they were issued by Gum Inc? I believe that R189 was the last R number issued by Jefferson Burdick. I did a quick search here and stumbled on this thread by uber collector Connecticut Yankee (who I know is very well respected). I guess my question is: how do we know that these were given as an incentive to dealers? Is there a reference to these somewhere that I don't know about? Okay, that's a rhetorical question, but if anybody knows anything about these I'd be curious to know.

I'll post the card once I receive it.

February 27th, 2017, 12:23 am #3

These Post Cards were not a failed experiment, and were not sold in packs with gum. They were given to dealers as an incentive, to be sold over the counter. The set total is 24.
Daniel
I have a dealers wrapper which tells them to give a card
with gum purchase. It is a point of purchase premium
and therefore a legitimate R card

February 27th, 2017, 1:18 am #4

Well, that's awesome. Thanks for the clarification Jim. That would be something to see.

February 27th, 2017, 2:08 pm #5

Daniel
I dont have it handy but it is similar to this Baltz gum wrapper

March 5th, 2017, 11:30 pm #6

Posting here because I said that I would.