august pick-ups (formally: aquisitions)

august pick-ups (formally: aquisitions)

August 8th, 2012, 6:03 am #1

and i get to be first! never done that before, lol....

a few more T59's:
[/IMG]

hassan, helmar, and kellogs:
[/IMG]

more 4x6 felts:
[/IMG]

and this one has me stumped:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
four of these together, as you can see, make a small postcard. subject matter is the 1915 pan-pac int expo. pics are "nearly" (read: not exactly) like the E162 set, but much smaller. cant find them anywahere..... any ideas?
Last edited by kilostoys on August 9th, 2012, 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 9th, 2012, 6:37 pm #2

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

August 10th, 2012, 1:09 am #3

a few more T59's:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

more 4x6 felts:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
four of these together, as you can see, make a small postcard. subject matter is the 1915 pan-pac int expo. pics are "nearly" (read: not exactly) like the E162 set, but much smaller. cant find them anywahere..... any ideas?
I'm really excited about this little pickup. The five cards come from an unknown (at least to me) set of cards from the 1915 PPIE (Pan-Pacific Expo) and were made by the Cardinet Candy Co. The photos below are larger than actual size (the cards are slightly larger than T206's)

The baseball collectors in the group may be aware that the Cardinet Candy Co were the makers of the extremely tough to find (and expensive) 1914 Texas Tommy baseball cards. However, the theory is that the 1913 Oakland Oaks cards that are around the same size as the Texas Tommy cards made the following year may have also been a Cardinet Candy Co. production as well. The Collins-McCarthy Candy Co. had exclusive rights to picture the players from the PCL in the early teens (as evidenced by the notice produced by the makers of the 1912 PCL Pins that was sold in a recent Lew Lipset auction reporting to customers that they could no longer offer the pins because of the agreement the PCL had with certain manufacturers). Thus, the Cardinet Co. may have produced the 1913 Oaks cards, then served notice as the pin makers were, then the following year produced cards of Major Leaguers instead of the PCL players (somewhat odd for a California candy company to be making cards of people playing in the East), then apparently in 1915 they produced the cards pictured above. Anyways, I was excited to find another product by the candy company that would be the makers of the "still-around-today" UNO candy bar. Here are some examples of the 1913 Oakland Oaks set of 20 that may have been Cardinet's first set of cards...

August 10th, 2012, 10:44 pm #4

a few more T59's:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

more 4x6 felts:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
1922 Luxury bread Die Cut Folding ...

and a T card factory 25 , 2nd district VA ...Blank Back.
Are these Blank back T's common? I know there are a gazillion of these cards printed and in some cases advertising added on back AFTER intial production..just never pay too much attention to the T cards I've run through over the years..had a million blank back trade cards..no biggie....Am I right in assuming the Blank Back T card..is just as common?

Buckeye Card company...Visting cards...OH to think folk actually had the courtesy of handing out courtesy cards! What an era.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

August 11th, 2012, 2:31 am #5

a few more T59's:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

more 4x6 felts:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Charley,

The Mother Goose Toys card has an unlisted Luxury Bread
back, bringing the total number of known backs to six.
Dan may want to add it to the Gallery.

Ken

August 11th, 2012, 2:50 pm #6

a few more T59's:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

more 4x6 felts:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
i picked up 23 cards and several notes to the spanish version of the civil war news set, these are my double]http://i45.tinypic.com/2f09mkn.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]

August 11th, 2012, 4:48 pm #7

a few more T59's:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

more 4x6 felts:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Mark they look great.

August 11th, 2012, 5:41 pm #8

a few more T59's:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

more 4x6 felts:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Bought most of these in July. At the Allentown paper show I spent some time and money at Todd Riley's booth. It was a real pleasure to meet Todd. He couldn't have been nicer, a real down-to-earth guy with a deep passion for card collecting.

My favorite pickup...."The Riley"

Two versions of S89 State Flower silks

E17 peppermint gum cards

Little Rascal strip cards and more

Unusual(I think) 8-Pack of Sweet Caporal Cigarettes

Original mailer and pamphlet from Church & Dwight. It included 4 different complete sets and the pamphlet tells of (because of demand) re-printing the old sets.

Coffee Cards

Mickey Transfers & USS North Carolina don't know what they are..

More....

Navy Ship cereal insert

Drake cakes card & nice stack of Brody Novelty Candy Package Co. Movie Stars

Dixie Circus Animal premiums

Last edited by GGterps on August 11th, 2012, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 11th, 2012, 6:11 pm #9

a few more T59's:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

more 4x6 felts:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
if you want to sell (or trade I guess?) the "new cafe" silk just LMK please. Sorry I missed you at show.

August 11th, 2012, 8:19 pm #10

a few more T59's:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

more 4x6 felts:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
As usual not much in the way of real cards, but related
items that I really like.

Only 6 pictures were included.
[/IMG]

Complete set.
[/IMG]

Nabisco
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Hershey Postcards
[/IMG]

The Donald Duck completed my Jointies set. Nice Superman
V. P. Allen G. Thurman
[/IMG]

Boxed set
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Recognition Study Cards, has 55 ships (not 54 like it says on the box) & 54 planes
[/IMG]

An alternative to Star-Cals? Are there more that these 8?
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Fleers Premium, had the picture before but not the envelope
[/IMG]
[/IMG]