Another rabbit hole I am about to enter: Exhibit Cards

August 22nd, 2017, 11:49 pm #11

Aircraft Actors Cowboys Whatever.....

Is there a checklist out there ANYWHERE?

Larry
I appreciate all the posts and tips. The exhibit baseball players, boxers, wrestlers are fun because they have checklists. The actors and most of the cowboy sets appear to be a disaster to collect, as no real checklists seem to exist. 11MM 13MM 15MM "Made in U.S.A." headache!

I do like these Native American exhibit cards, and have fourteen different. How many are in this set, and do they have a specific name? Does anyone have a checklist or know how many there are in the set?

"1950s-1960s Native American Chiefs"?

[/img]

August 23rd, 2017, 5:43 pm #12

Larry
That's about right. The cards were postwar. Some of them are from earlier movie sets, so I wouldn't trust the IDs of the subjects--they may be movie characters or made up.

August 24th, 2017, 1:30 am #13

Larry
There are 32 cards in this set

August 24th, 2017, 3:14 am #14

Larry
Interesting article by Adam Warshaw. A rough estimate from the article states there could be over 14,000 different Exhibit cards produced.

http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/intere ... hibitcards

August 31st, 2017, 12:22 am #15

Larry
there are 3 sources that might help

1 is a web site http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/intere ... hibitcards not sure it is still working but comes up when I hit the link

2 is a Collectors Guide to Cowboy Hero Arcade Cards published by Joy Cherokee Kid Gibson in 1998-99

3 For a few years back in the 90s there was a magazine entitled the Penny Arcade. there were about 30 issues and they had checklists for many sets. Issues 4 5 15 21 and 23 had cowboy info. 1 12 17 had actor/actress info.

September 6th, 2017, 12:18 am #16

Larry
That image event site is mine.

September 8th, 2017, 5:57 pm #17

Larry
It was always my understanding Exhibit Supply's first cards were issued in the early 1920s, although the company itself had been in business for several years supplying machines for arcades. I came across the following in the Moving Picture World for May 10, 1919, on page 914:

"Certainly It Pays to Advertise.
Ask the Exhibit Supply Company, Chicago, and they'll tell you that an advertisement in Moving Picture World, offering
something that will make picture showmen money, registers quickly and surely. This company produces a slot machine,
built to stand or be hung on the wall in a theatre lobby, that delivers photographs of screen queens.

Among the results of the first advertisement placed in Moving Picture World by the Exhibit Supply Company were sales to
Apollo Theatre, New Tork, where the entire supply of pictures was sold in one day; Blue Mouse Theatre, Fort Worth,
sold out in three days, and Avon Theatre, Utica, N. T., sold out in one day; a few scattered instances of results."

So, were these "photographs of screen queens" among the first Exhibit cards as we know them? If so, the start date will have to be revised to at least 1919.

September 8th, 2017, 10:09 pm #18

Larry
Here
http://archive.org/stream/movwor39chal# ... ch/exhibit
is an ad from March 1919 with a picture of the machine. It also shows the cards being sold.

September 9th, 2017, 5:41 pm #19

Larry
The movie stars on the left machine and the Mack Sennett girls on the right are both Evans issues, not Exhibit Supply Co. From the ad,it appears that Exhibit had some kind of deal with Evans, but the copyright is not Exhibit's.

September 10th, 2017, 2:53 pm #20

Larry
Here is a May 19, 1917 advertisement, from The Billboard, with "Poker Hands" cards.

https://books.google.com/books?id=XaoiA ... 22&f=false