1960 Val Gum Movie Stars Real vs Reprint

1960 Val Gum Movie Stars Real vs Reprint

June 11th, 2017, 6:17 pm #1

Hello all,

I have been recently consigned a set of 1960 val gum movie stars. In doing my research I have found that they reprinted the set, but can not find any where that tells you the difference of the real to reprint, any help would be great.

Thanks

Lee Behrens
Sterling Sports Auction

June 11th, 2017, 9:21 pm #2

Hi Lee,

Troy Kirk's website has a lot of info on these cards, but doesn't mention a reprint.
http://www.moviecard.com/valgum/val-filmstar.html

Bill

June 12th, 2017, 1:09 am #3

Hello all,

I have been recently consigned a set of 1960 val gum movie stars. In doing my research I have found that they reprinted the set, but can not find any where that tells you the difference of the real to reprint, any help would be great.

Thanks

Lee Behrens
Sterling Sports Auction
Thanks for the reply, the link is for a 1954 set, I believe i have a 1960 set.

Lee
Last edited by SterlingSportsAuctions on June 15th, 2017, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 12th, 2017, 1:52 pm #4

Hello all,

Thanks

Lee Behrens
Sterling Sports Auction
Lee - that's a tough one. Reprints abound, as you say. I've wanted to own an MM from that set, but I have no idea how to tell a reprint from authentic. I've done a lot of research (internet search, ebay search, message boards, etc.) for at least 10 years and I know no more now than when I started. Given that, I'm not certain how PSA has determined authenticity and I'll bet they've rejected more as reprints than have graded.

The pixilation of the ones that have found their way into holders look the same as the ones touted as reprints, and, to be sure, the pixilation of them all is horrid. The card stock "may" be different but who knows? Conclusion: I really don't think anybody knows. Since Troy hasn't covered this set, I think it's possible it was not issued 57 years ago as some claim. Good chance it may be a hoax. Personally, until some sort of reasonable provenance turns up for this set, I'm not interested in it as anything but a novelty reprint set.

Edited to add - SGC shows this card as being 1960 Val Gum, but I'm guessing it's not in your set?

Last edited by MorrellMan on June 12th, 2017, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 12th, 2017, 8:51 pm #5

Hello all,

Thanks

Lee Behrens
Sterling Sports Auction
No John Wayne in this group, it does have 3 Marilyn Monroe. The paper stock is thin and you there are many dark fibers visible.

Thanks for the reply,

Lee
Last edited by SterlingSportsAuctions on June 15th, 2017, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2017, 3:52 am #6

Hello all,

Thanks

Lee Behrens
Sterling Sports Auction
I agree with a lot of what Mark says about this set. I don't know enough about it to add a checklist for it to my site. I've never handled a card from the set.

June 15th, 2017, 6:42 pm #7

Hello all,

Thanks

Lee Behrens
Sterling Sports Auction
I have decided to put in the current Auction with information I have obtained.

Thanks for all the help,

Lee

June 16th, 2017, 8:54 pm #8

Hello all,

Thanks

Lee Behrens
Sterling Sports Auction
Lee
I bought this full set some years ago from a reputable dealer and they look legit to me.

The actual reprint set is marked as such and says one of 5000 sets.

My set doesn't have a John Wayne card so i'm not sure where that one came from.

I'm enclosing a scan of my Monroe cards with the back showing too.

In your one scan of a back the colour looks very pink..on mine i could barely tell there was pink on the back without using a magnifying glass.

It's quite possible the colour is enhanced by the scan and i'm curious once i post my scan if that will become clearer at 300dpi.
regards,
amit

[/IMG]

June 19th, 2017, 7:56 pm #9

Hello all,

Thanks

Lee Behrens
Sterling Sports Auction
...of this set, is that the supposed year of issue is printed on the card. What legitimate set actually shows that on its back? I can't think of one. And certainly no other supposedly legitimate Dutch Val Gum issue has the year printed on it either. And who is Movistar Card Co.?

Last edited by MorrellMan on June 19th, 2017, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 20th, 2017, 12:35 am #10

Hello all,

Thanks

Lee Behrens
Sterling Sports Auction
The ones that PSA grades have blank backs. There is a dash after the name then the #:

Last edited by eagle147 on June 20th, 2017, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.