The Poetry of Math

Theory and Practice. The place for discussion and links.

Moderator: Greta B

The Poetry of Math

toniclark

November 1st, 2014, 10:38 am #1

I just came across this free, online publication: The Journal of Humanistic Mathematics.
"We publish articles that focus mainly on the doing of mathematics, the teaching of mathematics, and the living of mathematics. We also welcome contributions about the state of the mathematical profession (both in research and in education), underrepresentation issues within the world of mathematics, mathematics across national and cultural boundaries, mathematical fiction and poetry, personal reflections that provide insight to the inner workings of the mathematical mind, and other types of writing which may stimulate discussion among our readers. Overall we are a free platform where many different conversations about mathematics are welcome and encouraged."
They publish some interesting articles, even for the mathematically challenged — for example, “Nine Mathematical Ways of Watching a Baseball Game."
Synopsis: "Whatever its other flaws or merits as a game, baseball gives us plenty of time to think. (How else to spend the 2 hours, 50 minutes when nothing in particular is happening?) In the long gaps between pitches, my own thoughts veer towards mathematics. Are statistics really changing the game? Can any sense emerge from baseball's symmetries and odd patterns? Is it now a sport of science, or as ever one of superstition? And the aesthetic question that arises from all of this:\ In a human pursuit like baseball, can mathematical perspectives ever help us to create meaning?"
The journal also publishes math-related poetry and it’s pretty entertaining — for example, "The Math of Achilles" and "Ars Mathematica." Browse through some of them and give it a try.
Here are some math word-lists to give you some ideas:
Words Relating to Math and GeometryMathwords A to Z
There are many other such lists on the web.
Last edited by toniclark on November 1st, 2014, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

FranklyDire

February 5th, 2017, 6:24 pm #2

I think my poem: 'The Law of the Machine' could fit in here.

Osel

February 6th, 2017, 4:28 pm #3

Wow, what a fabulous find, Toni.
Thanks for sharing this!
And yes, FD, it looks like a great platform, for your writing to reach a wider audience.

Osel

February 6th, 2017, 4:39 pm #4

Terse
As when a topologist says

"trivial"

Just love it
From

Ars Mathematica

TerryO

February 7th, 2017, 10:45 am #5

My son is getting his PhD in topology. I have no idea what he is up to. Maybe this journal will help!

Osel

February 7th, 2017, 2:28 pm #6