toniclark

September 11th, 2018, 3:21 pm #31

My apologies for any offense. Octogenarian, The Waters considers poems previously posted online, including video platforms, to be “published.” That is the prerogative of the founder and administrative staff. While our rule may differ from IBPC, every participating forum is free to use its own selection criteria. (In the past, I’ve heard of forums in which members didn’t participate in the process; the Administrators would just decide what to send in.) 

I know that IBPC will consider any poem for which the author hasn’t received payment — which is somewhat odd. Most journals don’t pay for poetry. Thus, a poem could appear in a good journal and still be eligible. 

In any case, please review the IBPC Guidelines at The Waters. 

I had no idea it had been posted at Facebook, so I wasn’t counting or not counting it.

I have no idea why we keep seeing the block that says “This Facebook post is no longer available.” Perhaps the poem was copied from Facebook to the Waters thread? And I only say this because it was mentioned here that the poem had appeared on Facebook. I didn’t see it there, myself.

Sorry, too, that I questioned whether the poem had been workshopped here. It was — in August. So it would not be eligible for September submission, even if it had not appeared elsewhere. 

I don’t routinely research any of our members. However, you are the one who posted a YouTube video here. That’s why I looked into it. 

By the way, it is definitely okay to post/workshop a poem in more than one forum. Many of our members do this. If both forums want to send the poem to IBPC, then the author must choose between them because the poem can only submitted from one forum.

Please send me a message if you wish to discuss this further.

Osel

September 11th, 2018, 5:17 pm #32

Thank you for this, Toni. I didn’t actually notice it was posted on August 29, and imv it was workshopped into September, as Octogenarian considered and then took up suggestions, and edited it. It seems to me sometimes poems have straddled two months in their being active, meaning workshopped with a back and forth developing. But maybe I am wrong anout that. Hmm.  

I took the video as a personal sharing, within the context of the workshop exchange, and not an promotion of its being “published”. BTW, I really do want to look into how to do this, so I hope, Octogenarian, you might feel like sharing a little more about that, in the Shipyards, and feel free to put the video link over there. 

I hope we are not discouraging creating them, merely saying The Waters considers them as published, as fsr as the IBPC goes.  ) 

But keeping to the Waters rule of a poem posted in a given month - if I have this right - being eligible only within that month,  I don’t think FD’s poem is eligible either, then, is it? since it was workshopped in August also. let me double check. — yeah, Christmas was posted eighteenth of August. No wonder FD and I got so confused over whether he was in or out, getting our wires crossed. I still think it could use another couple changes, :) and it  HAS been active, as far as i have experienced, into September. .. 

I suppose I am lobbying.  I started this September thread so soon, in order to be able to be sure and post it here, since it was not finished being workshopped, end of August, or so I felt, but my intention was to nominate it. So, you are saying Toni, a poem has to be finished being workshopped in the month it is posted, to be eligible? This was definitely not clear to me! Alrhough I suppose  the heading  “Nominations For Poems Posted in X” should have made it clear. Sorry, FD.  I am sure some poems can get a very quick in and out, but others seems to take some ripening, like a fine wine. I felt the poem should be nominated, but also felt it could be perfected.In my eyes the poem is still being “workshopped” 
through the month and until the final version is posted 
in the IBPC thread. That was how I was seeing it, anyway. 

toniclark

September 11th, 2018, 5:54 pm #33

I acknowledge that there is sometimes overlap and, if a poem is still discussed/workshopped into the next month, then I'd consider that eligible. (That is, for example, a poem posted in August but still being workshopped in September should be eligible.) Also, you know, we do relax the rules a bit for April/May and November/December, since we have so many nominations of worthy poems for April and November. We do try to give as many worthy poems as possible a shot at IBPC, but we are limited in the number we can submit. 

Does that help clarify or make it more muddy? 

Osel

September 11th, 2018, 8:24 pm #34

both.  sorry, I am not trying to be difficult, just consistent, and fair.

Because i guess I was seeing Octo’s as effectively a September poem. I sometimes get another idea about a poem, so I do not close the book on it, if it is one I especially like and want to support. 🙂 As I think members will have noticed. And, I was not clear on The Waters’ own publishing rules! 

So you are saying the heading “Nominations for Poems Posted In September”
still stands for FD’s poem, and it is eligible, even though it was posted only about halfway into August? That heading has been confusing me too.  

JudeGoodwin

September 11th, 2018, 9:57 pm #35

Hello everyone - I'm going to chime into this thread as my response might be missed elsewhere.

We prefer if you nominate poems that have been posted in the given month. So, poems posted in September are nominated by being pasted into our Sea of IBPC forum. Then on the last day of that given month, in this case September, 3 of these poems are chosen by the admin team, and submitted to the IBPC contest.

It's important to note that a poem nominated into our Sea of IBPC forum does not necessarily make it further. It's up to the admin team. We look over the poems on the 30 or 31st of the month and discuss among ourselves.

It's part of our Waters conditions that poems we choose to move on to the IBPC contest are previously unpublished. This includes personal public blogs, online journals, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, or any other social media. This does not include private group workshops - such as this one. The reason is that our workshop, and other workshops like it, are not indexed by search engines. All the other platforms are.

I hope this clears things up!  We're sorry for any confusion.

Jude
(admin)

Osel

September 12th, 2018, 3:21 pm #36

thanks Jude.  
I am still not clear on whether FD’s Christmas is deemed eligible or not, in terms of timing. 
It sounds, from what you and Toni are saying, as if that aspect is not cut and dried. 

JudeGoodwin

September 12th, 2018, 5:00 pm #37

If FD's poem was posted in August, it would be nominated in the Poems Posted in August thread. If it was posted in September, it would be nominated in the Poems Posted in September thread

Hope that clears it up, thanks
Jude

Osel

September 12th, 2018, 9:16 pm #38

John's ( from the Beach) 

Sarsaparilla

The girl with a face that said "Antarctica" came walking out of the bush behind the mall. She was holding a kitten, but the kitten isn't the reason she was there. Maybe she was digging up worms in the dusky light and biting them in half or feeding them to the kitten mouth to mouth. Her face was cold and I was just there trying to pay off my debt to society. Seems when your heart comes apart and falls to the floor with a clatter you still gotta maintain your dignity. If I hadn't been wearing my little brother's midriff blouse I may have remembered, but I forgot and now I'm wandering through some chores while holding myself together by lashing a leather strap around my chest and holding it shut with my teeth while I pick up garbage with my hands. It was the time of day when the sky is most likely to be pink when I saw her. This time it had more of a yellow, dull yellow like a vomit scream, patina. This is where the romance starts. I knew she saw me from her shadow up against the store's white block wall, there at the end of the shrubbery line, but I kept my eyes looking straight up. First out of fear but then I sensed she liked something about me. Maybe it was my top, or the wear and tear on the leather strap my teeth had cut over the past six weeks. She knew somehow I was going to get all this taken care of and would soon be back together like a car the cops said was totaled. She may have even been able to see the darkening sky through my squinty eyes and we all know how rare that is. All I know is now we're sitting in a booth at the rear of the Gun-Slinger Cafe. I ordered a sarsaparilla and she joined me.

FranklyDire

September 14th, 2018, 1:48 pm #39

I often get confused, I have reworked the poem
completely, gone back to basics and added an epigraph
from Dylan. I could re-enter for September if that is within the rules
otherwise I accept Jude's judgement completely.

Osel

September 14th, 2018, 2:38 pm #40

Jude,
Even if the workshopping straddles two months? 

let's say it does, and the posting month rule is strictly held to.  
maybe the poet should repost, toward the end of the month. 
And effectively,  it's a new post.  new poem. Eligible then? 

Thanks