Moderator: Greta B

toniclark

March 1st, 2016, 6:35 pm #31

I hear ya, John! Thanks for stopping by to vote!

You, too, Jim!

rosered17

March 1st, 2016, 8:08 pm #32

This is indeed difficult!
All of our nominations are great, and I'd love to cast a vote for each one.

I vote for

"In My Next Life I Want to Return as an Animal But"
"An Informal Midwestern Memoir"
"Past All Understanding "

Osel

March 1st, 2016, 10:04 pm #33

I second "The Beginning of The End" (I thought I'd nomm'd it!!)

and "In My Next Life.."

Osel

March 1st, 2016, 10:08 pm #34

i'm confused now. I know you can't vote on one you nom'd, and obviously neither nom or vote on your own.(some boards allow self-nomination...) 
but I thought you could nominate and vote on as many as you felt deserved it.
(it doesn't often exceed three of each) It often feels to me that we should be nominating more poems. It might be the only place some members have a chance to read potential contenders
Last edited by Osel on March 1st, 2016, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toniclark

March 2nd, 2016, 8:32 am #35

Sorry for any confusion about the rules. I know that each participating board has its own rules for how submissions are selected for IBPC. The Waters IBPC Guidelines currently state that you can nominate as many as you wish and you can vote for up to three, not including those you nominated.
Also (from the Guidelines): "While moderators will take into account the wishes of our community of
poets, the final decision as to what poems are submitted to the IBPC
will be made by the administrators. . . ."
I think it makes sense to specify a number of votes allowed. We need a selection method. It's not just a matter of saying which poems you especially like. And three seems a good number, since we can send only three poems to IBPC. It seems to me that being able to vote for as many as you want would undermine the process. I would want to vote for them ALL!* But we can only send three.
We'd like everyone at The Waters to vote every month — whether or not you have a poem in the running. And I especially encourage those with nominated poems to participate in the process.
*I don't currently vote because, as an administrator, I have the option of making the final selection. I use the voting process to do so. In the case of ties, Jude and I discuss and decide together (or I put the titles in a hat and choose one).

toniclark

March 2nd, 2016, 8:35 am #36

Thanks to everyone for voting this month! This made it easier, since three poems each got 5 votes!
How I Met My Wife, by Dale
An Informal Midwestern Memoir, by KendallPast All Understanding, by Alison
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!

piphany

March 2nd, 2016, 12:17 pm #37

We are well represented!

Osel

March 2nd, 2016, 1:27 pm #38

Okay, great. Nominating as many as you like, and voting on three. I knew that, just got myself mixed up.  I think being involved should be mandatory, for Waters members. ( With at least one vote, or nom? ) There are no other standing responsibilities to membership. . . Thank you, for the nomination and the votes! And good luck, Dale and Kendall. One more question. Can we re-nominate any of these, if they are still active in the forum? There were too many contenders for a fair 'shake'
Last edited by Osel on March 2nd, 2016, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toniclark

March 2nd, 2016, 2:18 pm #39

See the Guidelines (sticky note in this forum):
“Eligible poems are: All poems posted in either The Waters Poetry or 77 Forum within the competition month, including poems from contests, poems by any Waters forums participant, and poems by administrators or moderators.”
I will change that to include Sand Sculptures as well. They are eligible!
Key words are posted within the competition month — although “competition month” has a slightly different meaning for IBPC. For instance, Judy’s “Sailor and Young Wife” was posted in November. It was nominated in November and sent to IBPC on or about December 1st.  IBPC calls that the December contest. Judy's poem won first place, and IBPC calls it “Winning Poem for December.”
So poems posted during March can be nominated anytime in March. “Posted” can include “reposted” — i.e., if a poem originally posted in the Beach forum is posted and workshopped in the Poetry Forum, it is eligible a second time. But a poem posted at the Beach can’t be reposted at the Beach. It’s basically a place for drafts, not workshopping and revision.
All that said, I agree with you that there were many worthy poems, all deserving a shot at IBPC. I encourage people who had nominations and would like to have their poems reconsidered to post in the main forum. Of course, we may no doubt have many more worthy poems posted in March!