Moderator: Greta B

toniclark

September 12th, 2018, 11:06 am #11

Regarding IBPC eligibility, I am pasting in here Jude's post from the September Nominations thread:

We prefer if you nominate poems that have been posted in the given month. So, poems posted in September are nominated by being pasted into our Sea of IBPC forum. Then on the last day of that given month, in this case September, 3 of these poems are chosen by the admin team, and submitted to the IBPC contest.

It's important to note that a poem nominated into our Sea of IBPC forum does not necessarily make it further. It's up to the admin team. We look over the poems on the 30 or 31st of the month and discuss among ourselves.

It's part of our Waters conditions that poems we choose to move on to the IBPC contest are previously unpublished. This includes personal public blogs, online journals, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, or any other social media. This does not include private group workshops - such as this one. The reason is that our workshop, and other workshops like it, are not indexed by search engines. All the other platforms are.

I hope this clears things up!  We're sorry for any confusion.

Eligibility criteria for poems submitted by The Waters are up to us, as long as we also meet the IBPC eligibility criteria. I wrote to the IBPC Coordinator more than 3 years ago about the IBPC statement that "published means any form of reproduction for which the writer received payment, either monetary or in kind," pointing out that almost no one pays for poetry. He replied that the rules were out of date and that he would look into changing the wording "because it's clearly not what we intend." He further said that poems are not eligible if they have been published in a literary journal, in print or online (even if no payment). As you can see, that outdated wording hasn't been changed, though.  

Osel

September 12th, 2018, 10:54 pm #12

some of those links they post go nowhere, last I clicked on them. It looks like such a great group, I wanted to see all these forums. 

your list probably represents the usual suspects. 

Ken Ashworth

September 15th, 2018, 2:26 am #13

'Its part of our Waters conditions that poems we choose to move on to the IBPC contest are previously unpublished. This includes personal public blogs, online journals, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, or any other social media. This does not include private group workshops - such as this one. The reason is that our workshop, and other workshops like it, are not indexed by search engines. All the other platforms are.

Nothing wrong with setting a standard this high.

Ken Ashworth

September 15th, 2018, 2:34 am #14

Osel wrote: some of those links they post go nowhere, last I clicked on them. It looks like such a great group, I wanted to see all these forums. 

your list probably represents the usual suspects. 

IBPC is at least 18 years old. Poetry forums peaked in the mid 2000's and many foldex due to lack of participation.

Though currently there may be a pool of 18 to 24 final entries, these are culled from dozens posted on any given forum.

It is a worthwhile endeavor to have one's work evaluated by an experienced well published poet. It isn't the same as submitting a poem to a journal, and in fact, most journals consider IBPC as work previously "published".

The quality of judges has been stellar.