Moderator: Greta B

Does The Waters have an inhouse style?

ant
ant

June 21st, 2015, 12:20 am #1

hello scribes,

I'm fairly new here, so I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post. C'est la vie.

I've read a lot poetry here, as you do, and the form of the poetry seems
to gravitate to a certain style. Free form, for sure - and I can only generalise here -
leaning on literal reportage to a degree -  as if one or two (or a few) insightful lines
are enough to be sandwiched between the mundane - made cod-poignant with unnatural
line breaks. As you can tell, I don't get it.

More worrying for me, is that it seems that the poets that adopt this style most completely
are the more successful ones (within this site) - not so much a clique, but a movement,
that appears exclusive.

Am I talking rubbish? Or is there an agenda to promote a certain style that appeals to the
IBPC board, and that we are bound to follow? Is there a name for this style? Is it particularly
American, European or Chinese?

My style is more like four verses of rhyming stanzas with a gag thrown in - so I am reticent to post
anything at the moment. Should I move on or publish and be damned? Its a shame because I've looked
across the various sites and this one seems to have more consistantly good poets (despite the above!).

thanks for reading.....A

TerryO

June 21st, 2015, 8:15 am #2

A, 

As far as I know, there is no Waters style. The type of poem that seems to annoy you—what I think of as the conversational poem—may well be the reigning style in American poetry. That's probably why you see so much of it here and elsewhere. But tables turn. Your best test--try posting a poem. You might be pleasantly surprised. 

Also, have you looked at the Sand Sculpture part of the Waters?  It a new section--just started in May. Each month the participants select a form and have at it all month. The first month we wrote ghazals and this month we are trying to write villanelles--well, I know that I am trying to write them—formal poems are a challenge for me. The form for July has not been selected yet. Perhaps the sonnet will be next. From your post, it would seem that the sonnet would be one of your favorite forms.

I would suggest that you try posting a poem--perhaps one that you are not too attached to--advice an instructor gave me once. Best to start with something you are willing to see critiqued. Why ask for help on a poem you feel is cooked?

I know there are some fine poets who frequent the Waters who write and publish formal poems. They may have good advice on ways to improve and where to publish, etc. 

Best of luck,

Terry O

emurer

June 21st, 2015, 10:04 am #3

What Terry said.
A few of us are in the formalist corner.  I love playing with forms (received, nonce, invented) and constraints.   I feel in a minority but I do show up on the Beach during NaPo and for the occasional 7/7.  I encourage you to try the Beach as well as San Castles. 
Part of the fun is that we do sometimes write off each other (NOT write each other off).  Who knows, you might inspire someone else to try something in the same vein!  

toniclark

June 22nd, 2015, 9:38 am #4

Welcome to The Waters. Terry has said everything that I would say, myself. Many of us here  write both free and formal verse. We have no stylistic rules or preferences. But please do read our Forum Guidelines if you haven't already done so. 

I'll be glad to correspond with you at greater length and answer any questions you have next week. I'm just leaving for a few days in Denmark.

Toni
(Admin)

ant
ant

June 22nd, 2015, 2:22 pm #5

thank you all,

for your considered and prompt responses to my post - most kind.
(don't know what happened to the formatting. It wasn't a parody,
I promise!)

I have to stress this 'style' does not annoy me, per se. I enjoy
the process of reading 'well put' creative pieces, in any style.
(although, un-lyrical conversations can grate somewhat!).
My only concern is the over-prevalence of this style upon the site.
(a one dimensional selection of the diverse - sounds like an oxymoron).

Yet, this style (mundane minimalism?) appears by far, to be the most
popular - and not only on The Waters. The people, and more pointedly
the critics, have spoken.

Perhaps, I should abandon the slow coach of romanticism and jump on
the band-wagon heading west. Being, as yet, unheralded and unpublished
on the blood and sweat of the traditional form.

See if I can I rise to the challenge of putting my own stamp upon it? -
become part of the problem?
thankfully, I am sure I can rely on much valued advice here at The Waters.

Getting advice to help me improve my poetry is the first step - a means to an end -
the end being the kudos of nomination, winning competitions and publication - for the work to have its audience. (like a lot of us, I presume).
This, it seems, is not achievable by bucking the trend.

sorry for rambling on...and thanks again for reading....A
Last edited by ant on June 22nd, 2015, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Bunch

June 22nd, 2015, 2:54 pm #6

Ant wrote: "Getting advice to help me improve my poetry is the first step - a means to an end -

the end being the kudos of nomination, winning competitions and
publication - for the work to have its audience. (like a lot of us, I
presume). This, it seems, is not achievable by bucking the trend."
I agree that many write poems with such ends in mind, which is perhaps the cause or effect (I'm not sure which) of the commodity that poetry (and other arts) has become. Poems have become the fast food of literature--cheap, readily available, and quickly consumed. I exaggerate, of course.
Kant argued that art is "purposive" but without purpose, that it has the appearance of being made, i.e., an artifact, but it exists in itself rather than for some utilitarian purpose or intention. It's hard for me to imagine writing a poem with an end in mind, as it would then seem to be a mechanical exercise. Admittedly, a handsome, well-running machine might be the product, but it wouldn't give me what I look for in the experience of writing.
Kudoi, prizes, and publication are nice, and it's always a bonus if some other reader finds some value in what I've written, but I admit that those are not ends toward which I work, not what motivates me when I write.

ant
ant

June 22nd, 2015, 8:30 pm #7

hello Stephen,

I have to say, trying to express an inspirational thought poetically is

my only motivation for picking up the pen. Nothing else would work.
And resolving thoughts into language comes down to a matter of contrivance,

compromise and choice.

I write with an audience in mind - natural rhyming is unloved and unread.
And tough going!
Emulating the likes of Raymond Carver may be tougher - but it would be
a new challenge and perhaps, a new audience.

Always, substance over style......A

Greta B

July 2nd, 2015, 3:32 pm #8

I'm surprised to hear that there is any kind of perceived similarity among the Waters poets. I have been writing on 77 Sunset Beach for 8 years, and I believe that if I were given poems by each of the "regulars" there, on the same topic, blind, I could easily identify the writers of each by what I see as their unique style and voice. Which I would not describe as mundane minimalism in any case.

toniclark

July 2nd, 2015, 8:10 pm #9

Thanks, Greta. I agree with you. We each have our own style and we all try different forms from time to time.

rosered17

July 8th, 2015, 5:33 pm #10

Thumbs up, Greta!
I can also always name which of the Waters regulars has written a poem.