One more more incredible comment from Childress.

One more more incredible comment from Childress.

March 29th, 2007, 12:12 pm #1

From the Star Tribune:

<a href="http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1086481.html</a" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1086481.html</a>

---snip---

Williams is entering the final season of a three-year, $13 million deal, and Childress said he recently spoke with Williams about an extension.

"He wants to be here," Childress said. "He'd like to retire here. With a year to go, we're going to see if we can work with his number and see if it's favorable to him and favorable to us. Quite possibly, it's not his last year here.

"Pat Williams is a guy I'd like to have on my team for a lot of reasons. A, he's a good football player. B, because he's a good person. C, he's a good locker room guy."

Childress acknowledged he did not always share that sentiment.

"When we first got there," Childress said, "I don't know that we thought Pat Williams had a great future. There was a huge buy-in factor. He really elevated his game from the standpoint of hustle and movement."

---snip---

Comments:

From the fans's perspective, Childress put one of the team's better players, stand up guys and defensive contributors on the lazy fat boy program last offseason to make some kind of point. Any idiot who watched the Vikings 2005 season could have seen that Phat Pat was already a key player.

Childress is forgetting that there is also a huge buy in factor for a new head coach. And unlike Phat Pat, Childress did NOT silence his own critics in 2006.

PEACE
Last edited by Wembley_Awesome on March 30th, 2007, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2007, 6:18 pm #2

"Childress is forgetting that there is also a huge buy in factor for a new head coach. And unlike Phat Pat, Childress did NOT silence his own critics in 2006."

Amen.

March 30th, 2007, 11:28 am #3

I edited my original post to clarify the point I wanted to make about Pat Williams. Without the big fella, our 2005 defense would have been flat out horrible instead of one dimensional.

I tend to give new head coaches a very long rope. That's why I remained bemused over the outright hostility towards Dennis Green from the day he stepped off the plane. And for the record, Zyg Wilf fired Mike Tice prematurely. I was a big Tice critic, yet in the end I came around to liking the guy, botched play calling and blathering and all that.

One thing about Pat Williams is that he really does have an attitude problem. Scrutinize his words and you will see that he has a HUGE chip on his shoulder. Another thing about Pat is that he can back up everything he says and is used to having to prove himself. IIRC, he entered the league as a college free agent and it took 10 years before the league recognized with a Probowl berth.

Even so, it hardly takes a good coach to recognize when someone is constructively channeling his attitude and when someone is just being a prima donna. For example, there is no comparison between Phat Pat and Terrell Owens. Both have a bit of an attitude (major understatement in Owens's case). But who would you rather have on your team? Which one would you make an example out of?

PEACE