Retrofret/Musurgia in Brooklyn

Vintage discussion, all brands.

Retrofret/Musurgia in Brooklyn

Davids Harp
Registered Member

06 Mar 2009, 05:45 #1

I went this day unto Retrofret to hear Wayne Henderson, which see other threads. I refer here to the environment. Here is what I have to say: If you love vintage instruments, but don't have money, stay out of Retrofret forever. I don't claim to know all there is to know about Vintage And Where to Find It, but this joint seems the true Nirvanah of same. And the stuff doesn't seem all that outrageously expensive (Okay, except for a few of the primest prime). Happy happy, strum strum.
David
They said, "You have a blue guitar, you do not play things as they are."
The man replied, "Things as they are, are changed upon the blue guitar."
-Wallace Stevens

james747
Posts 1,032
james747
Registered Member

06 Mar 2009, 06:22 #2

+1 for Retrofret and Wayne and friends. David, any particularly memorable vintage instrument? For me it was the '35 Gibson Century, maple back and sides, loud and sassy.

tonguy
Posts 20,461
tonguy
Registered Member

06 Mar 2009, 18:57 #3

Read and hear all about Wayne Henderson at Musurgia/Retrofret here. Steve Uhrik and his crew (Mamie, Peter, and Mike) hosted a wonderful evening surrounded the attendees with a lot of very dangerous vintage temptation, and some wonderful music and vittles as well. Very ironic that the musical "centerpiece" of the evening was Wayne Henderson playing one of his own "newborn" guitars (relatively speaking). I loved listening to him play against a backdrop of vintage Gibsons.

The L-Century is a gem, but there's a Washburn there that was even more impressive. And a standout all-koa Sovereign with a MOTS fingerboard. And a loud National J-45. And an even louder all-mahogany Gibson J-45. And a whole slew of snappy L-00's and LG-2's. And a couple of killer old D-18's, and a recent and very resonant D-18S. Like I said, lots of temptation.

Walked home afterwards (Musurgia is only 3 blocks from my house), kissed my wife and daughter goodnight, and played my 1938 00-17 for an hour before I went to bed myself
Tony 

As David Drucker says, "Nov shmoz ka pop..."

(Forum intro - page 11) 
Say hello to my little friend... 
 -Mr. Slots- 
Jon Garon and George Gruhn like my wood...

I shop at Maurys Music - have you?  :D
My cure for GAS - my wife asking, "Which one(s) are you selling to get that?"

Davids Harp
Registered Member

06 Mar 2009, 20:52 #4

james747 wrote:
+1 for Retrofret and Wayne and friends. David, any particularly memorable vintage instrument? For me it was the '35 Gibson Century, maple back and sides, loud and sassy.

Hi James! Yeah, two. First, that wonderful '44 LG-2, which I shared with you. I recently got my own banner LG-2 so I was curious. Frankly, this is the best-sounding small Gibson I've ever heard or played. Just a wonderful old guitar. And light as a feather, of course. Second, in the front row of the Martin assemblage was a 1926 00-28 which Bob Jones has there on consignment. He didn't over-restore it -- mojo city, in fact -- but it sounds and plays absolutely fantastic. Daniel Dorogusker came in a little after me and wondered what I'd found while waiting, and I handed the 00-28 to him and said, "try this one". Well I didn't do Daniel any favors because I knew that guitar would suit him to a "t" and in fact his eyes got wide -- but he'll have to sell all his others to be able to afford it. Image
David
-Wallace Stevens

nightmeetslight
Registered Member

06 Mar 2009, 22:56 #5

Sorry I missed it David. I was planning to go but work unfortunately got in the way.

Jim

Davids Harp
Registered Member

07 Mar 2009, 00:36 #6

Well I was glad to be there first for Wayne, but also it was my first trip over there. Man.

I'm hoping to go back over there soon and compare my LG-2 with the '44.
David
-Wallace Stevens

james747
Posts 1,032
james747
Registered Member

07 Mar 2009, 04:18 #7

David, good luck; that LG-2 is under your skin. And to underline your sentiment about Retrofret, it is really a great place for vintage instruments; a vintage ecosystem. Bob had his eye on that fine string bass, so if Daniel buys Bob's guitar, then Bob can take the bass home, and so on.

tonguy
Posts 20,461
tonguy
Registered Member

08 Mar 2009, 03:34 #8

Watching Bob play that Czech bass made me chuckle. All night long I could see its little price tag fluttering off one of the tuners, and thought if Bob bought it, he should name it, "Minnie Pearl".
Tony 

(Forum intro - page 11) 
 -Mr. Slots- 

WRAWLINS
Registered Member

09 Mar 2009, 02:27 #9

Are Retrofret and Musurgia the same store? confused becaused they have two websites....

tonguy
Posts 20,461
tonguy
Registered Member

09 Mar 2009, 19:47 #10

Same store - two names. The inventory on the two websites should be the same, even though the websites have a different look. They also used to be known as New York String Service.
Tony 

(Forum intro - page 11) 
 -Mr. Slots-