Why Paintball should never join the Olympics (its not that kinda thread)

Why Paintball should never join the Olympics (its not that kinda thread)

Wolf
Wolf

February 10th, 2012, 1:58 am #1

As a PB player I would never want to see paintball lower itself to the sad level the Olympics fester at. It's a sad pathetic demo of everything I don't like about sporting events. There's no sense of community, no brotherhood, no underdogs.

CameraGuy
CameraGuy

February 10th, 2012, 3:50 am #2

Cool Runnings.

Tenacious221
Tenacious221

February 10th, 2012, 4:27 am #3

As a PB player I would never want to see paintball lower itself to the sad level the Olympics fester at. It's a sad pathetic demo of everything I don't like about sporting events. There's no sense of community, no brotherhood, no underdogs.
Because most the 'good' players wouldn't pass a drug test...

And it's too equipment intensive compared to other physical sports.

-Ten

Hans
Hans

February 10th, 2012, 4:49 am #4

Compared to some olympic sports out there, paintball is absolutely cheap.

A good Anchutz for 3-position or biathlon is going to run you $3,000 to $4,000 just for the rifle. Figure about the same for your spotting scope, stand, jacket, gloves, diopter for smallbore. Biathlon you need to still factor in boots, skis, polls, etc...

Skiing, sculling, luge, cycling.... all cost a small fortune and are highly equipment intensive.

Lets not even get into the costs of equestrian sports. I mean, I seriously don't want to know the cost involved to transport horses internationally like that..... and first you have to own and raise a properly trained horse.

Nope, paintball is actually inexpensive compared to a lot of Olympic sports.

-Hans

Wolf
Wolf

February 10th, 2012, 4:56 am #5

Most of the stuff showcased for the Olympics is made for the Olympics. And It's one size fits all pretty much.

Don't forget that PB guns vary from country to country. Not everyone can carry semi automatic or electric. There are ALOT of pumps out there. It's like the PB version of Stick Shift.

jwigum
jwigum

February 10th, 2012, 5:09 am #6

"Most of the stuff showcased for the Olympics is made for the Olympics. And It's one size fits all pretty much."

I have to point this out:
Yes, it's all made for the Olympics. For one event. There is only one size, because it exactly fits the specs of the one person who will use it.

Tenacious221
Tenacious221

February 10th, 2012, 8:17 pm #7

A good Anchutz for 3-position or biathlon is going to run you $3,000 to $4,000 just for the rifle. Figure about the same for your spotting scope, stand, jacket, gloves, diopter for smallbore. Biathlon you need to still factor in boots, skis, polls, etc...

Skiing, sculling, luge, cycling.... all cost a small fortune and are highly equipment intensive.

Lets not even get into the costs of equestrian sports. I mean, I seriously don't want to know the cost involved to transport horses internationally like that..... and first you have to own and raise a properly trained horse.

-Hans
I'm saying that the outcome of paintball events is dependent less on physical prowess of the players and more on the equipment they use.

I'd like to see paintball players try to do a biathlon and then try and hit some targets...

-Ten

B
B

February 10th, 2012, 8:53 pm #8

-Hans
the only way it would ever be considered is SC or limited paint pump, fields would also have to increase to the size of a football field. There would also have to be stable governing bodies, both national and international with a sanctioning body over seeing all. The sport would have to stop marketing kids and go for an adult market with an emphasis on more up scale product and pricing. ( like most elite events in the Olympics that depend on equipment to compete)

Brandon_ha
Brandon_ha

February 10th, 2012, 8:55 pm #9

Cool Runnings.
Next / Time

Silcas
Silcas

February 10th, 2012, 9:11 pm #10

Instead of the olympics, why not the X-Games? Fits in better than it does with classic sports such as swimming, running, etc. (And don't compare it to curling or something lol)