September 6th, 2018, 12:25 am #11

Nice. I think that's cheaper than Jersey was 30+ years ago. As to small leaks, caulk or silicon sealer can cover a lot more than it should if needed. Cheap flotation seat cushions or Cabelas bargain cave life vests not optional.

September 6th, 2018, 12:54 am #12

If you want to cure small leaks with sealant, pick up some 3M 5200. I think Home Depot carries it now- at least they do up here. And it's top-notch stuff- make sure you clean and degrease, and maybe even scuff with Scotchbrite, then degrease, before applying.

In my experience, it lasts nearly as long as the aluminum itself. 😁

Doc.

September 6th, 2018, 10:58 am #13

I REALLY wish I had the forethought to grab Grandpa's little fishing boat (an aluminum jobby like this one) and the 1950s trailer that he used to haul it between the cabin and his home when we sold the cabin. If I had done so, I would have had to put the boat on the trailer, then winch the trailer onto a bigger one (to avoid two ~1000 mile round trips). The trailer had been parked so long, while the aluminum paint kept the steel in good shape, the tires were kaput and the bearings likely shot. I believe the boat has since sold on by the cabin's current (soon to be former) owner and the trailer reduced to so much scrap steel bound for the Far East...

September 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm #14

I can't believe nobody's suggested Flex-Tape yet.

😁
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

September 6th, 2018, 1:47 pm #15

There's some silliness we won't stoop to.

September 6th, 2018, 3:10 pm #16

I was actually just going to.

September 9th, 2018, 8:48 pm #17

Renegade_Azzy wrote:So patching is fine on a boat like this, if it needs it? Figure if there were some minor leaks, I would drill out, slide a patch under, and rivet with the proper rivets. 
The company I work for makes, among other things, naval gunnery targets - basically radio-controlled boats at 1:1 scale. They're made of aluminium specifically because it's easy to patch up a string of .50-cal holes . I think our guys weld the patches on (I'm a software weenie on the more sophisticated boats, so it's a bit outside my area) but I don't see why a riveted plate onto polyurethane or similar sealant shouldn't work. In fact, Sikaflex 292 should be able to secure a small to moderate size patch without any mechanical fixing at all...
Pete

September 11th, 2018, 4:34 pm #18

Well, we took it out on the water. Small, very small leak. Probably a pint or 2 over 30 minutes, and it seemed to slow, which just means some gunk plugged it up probably. The worst part is stability. Unless you sit dead center and sit still, it feels as if its going to tip over any moment. Trailer is also worse than I thought. 

At this point, I would charge them 150 to haul it away. The bot might be useful to someone, but not for me with a 5 year old who wants to move around and lean over the edge. 

But for just a bit more (300), I found a local runabout, fiberglass hull, no motor, trailer and boat titles, and kept covered. Its a serious thought, just need to find a place to put it. 
__
Designer / maker of Jeep gauges and assorted automotive bits and baubles.
TeamADW.com

September 11th, 2018, 6:47 pm #19

Renegade_Azzy wrote: Well, we took it out on the water. Small, very small leak. Probably a pint or 2 over 30 minutes, and it seemed to slow, which just means some gunk plugged it up probably. The worst part is stability. Unless you sit dead center and sit still, it feels as if its going to tip over any moment. Trailer is also worse than I thought.
I thought the boat looked a bit narrow in the photo, but I just put it down to distortion from the camera lens. (Shooting a long object that extends away from the camera can do that.)
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

September 11th, 2018, 9:44 pm #20

Renegade_Azzy wrote:But for just a bit more (300), I found a local runabout, fiberglass hull, no motor, trailer and boat titles, and kept covered. Its a serious thought, just need to find a place to put it. 
Maybe the market's different over there, but in this part of the world it's generally reckoned that all the value in a cheap old small motorboat is in the engine. The natural result is that a hull without an engine is basically worthless, because to get an engine for it will cost the same as a complete boat (all the value is in...) and you paid for the first hull. Plus boats take up space and people who haven't used theirs for years accept lowball offers to get their garage or drive back, whereas an outboard on a stand in the back of the shed isn't too much of an embuggerance and doesn't have the "wife just wants shot of it" factor.

Likesay, maybe it's different there, but do check out the going rate for boats with engines, and for engines alone of the sort you might put on that empty hull, before you pull the trigger on a bargain that "just" needs an engine added.

Pete