What is this?

June 25th, 2018, 3:02 am #11

WolfenTech wrote: If it had o-rings between the sliding sections I'd have guessed push-rod tubes off an aircooled VW! XD
(Yes, they make plastic ones as well as metal spring-loaded)
Damn. I was on a personal best duration for not thinking about VW pushrod tubes. 😞 

June 25th, 2018, 9:07 am #12

Typeminer wrote:
WolfenTech wrote: If it had o-rings between the sliding sections I'd have guessed push-rod tubes off an aircooled VW! XD
Damn. I was on a personal best duration for not thinking about VW pushrod tubes. 😞 
Sorry. I enjoy VWs and recently got back to being active on a forum, so they're never far from my mind. 🛠 (I am aware you are probably joking ;P)

June 25th, 2018, 3:39 pm #13

WolfenTech wrote:
Typeminer wrote:
Sorry. I enjoy VWs and recently got back to being active on a forum, so they're never far from my mind. 🛠 (I am aware you are probably joking ;P)
I messed with them some (too much) in my youth. But I survived, and have been VW free for more than 30 years! 😁

Never could get all of the pushrod tubes to seal. 

June 27th, 2018, 2:50 am #14

Typeminer wrote:I messed with them some (too much) in my youth. But I survived, and have been VW free for more than 30 years! 😁

Ah, you escaped being re-bitten by the bug! Fortunately I'm happy with being bitten by the bug, so long as I don't often get bitten by my Bug(s)! XD

Haven't built my first engine yet (life got in the way so most everything has been sitting for a decade), but hopefully I won't have the same issues, and if I do have any I have a whole forum to pick the brains of!

June 27th, 2018, 3:58 pm #15

WolfenTech wrote:
Typeminer wrote:I messed with them some (too much) in my youth. But I survived, and have been VW free for more than 30 years! 😁

Ah, you escaped being re-bitten by the bug! Fortunately I'm happy with being bitten by the bug, so long as I don't often get bitten by my Bug(s)! XD

Haven't built my first engine yet (life got in the way so most everything has been sitting for a decade), but hopefully I won't have the same issues, and if I do have any I have a whole forum to pick the brains of!
One very happy summer day a few years ago, I was riding my bicycle through a local village, and parked right there for sale on a corner lot was just exactly the kind of dune buggy I lusted after at 18.

My joy at that moment was double. First, because I could now whip out the checkbook and buy it that day. Second, because  I didn't want the damn thing anymore. 😄

It was almost as good as the day me and two of my buddies didn't buy a sailboat. 😎 

June 27th, 2018, 9:49 pm #16

Reminds me of an old Cosby routine about Fat Albert's car...

June 28th, 2018, 5:49 am #17

Typeminer wrote:One very happy summer day a few years ago, I was riding my bicycle through a local village, and parked right there for sale on a corner lot was just exactly the kind of dune buggy I lusted after at 18.

My joy at that moment was double. First, because I could now whip out the checkbook and buy it that day. Second, because  I didn't want the damn thing anymore. 😄

It was almost as good as the day me and two of my buddies didn't buy a sailboat. 😎 
Ah, sounds like how I've been doing for the past decade due to having no funds for anything. Which should mean I've had plenty of time to do things with all the stuff I've already accumulated, but depression unfortunately doesn't leave much room for productivity. Lately, I'm starting to get past that a little, but it's not easy getting back up to speed physically after a decade of minimal activity. But, I finally feel like I can follow-through on the desire to be active in my hobbies! (partly due to being sick and tired of not doing things, who knew frustration/anger could be a motivator?) Out of curiosity, what sort of hobbies do you pursue?

July 2nd, 2018, 10:41 pm #18

WolfenTech wrote:
Typeminer wrote:One very happy summer day a few years ago, I was riding my bicycle through a local village, and parked right there for sale on a corner lot was just exactly the kind of dune buggy I lusted after at 18.

Ah, sounds like how I've been doing for the past decade due to having no funds for anything. Which should mean I've had plenty of time to do things with all the stuff I've already accumulated, but depression unfortunately doesn't leave much room for productivity. Lately, I'm starting to get past that a little, but it's not easy getting back up to speed physically after a decade of minimal activity. But, I finally feel like I can follow-through on the desire to be active in my hobbies! (partly due to being sick and tired of not doing things, who knew frustration/anger could be a motivator?) Out of curiosity, what sort of hobbies do you pursue?
Hiking, bicycling, canoeing, camping (not enough anymore), cooking (I like to eat), and messing with yeast (bread baking and winemaking). Used to do a lot of moderate whitewater and canoe camping (which also featured travel in old reamer vans with onboard sleeping capacity); now we mostly go out on the river to get some exercise, approach the creeks from the mouth, watch birds, and drink beer and generally screw around.
Used to do a lot of the work on my cars when I had more energy and less money, but my general mechanical aptitude is average at best (though I did once fix the shift linkage in an E150 with duct tape, in a boat ramp parking area, which impressed the hell out of my boating companion that day 😄). And I was sort of notorious for installing car stereo on the coldest day of the month, without a garage.
That sailboat belonged to a friend's father. When he died, she asked if any of us were interested in buying it off the estate. We had never seen it, and it turned out to be an obvious money pit, and suitable only for the bay, where it was berthed. Way more fun to think about than to own, so not buying it felt like dodging a bullet. Some of my buddies had more practical small sailboats that could be cartopped, back when cars were more capable of that. One guy had a sailing rig for a 17-foot Grumman canoe, and we took it camping one time. Another time, on a 4-person trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, we hooked two Grummans together side by side, improvised a sail with a poncho and two paddles, and used it to run down a lake before the wind. Great fun. 😎

July 3rd, 2018, 8:10 am #19

Typeminer wrote:Hiking, bicycling, canoeing, camping (not enough anymore), cooking (I like to eat), and messing with yeast (bread baking and winemaking). Used to do a lot of moderate whitewater and canoe camping (which also featured travel in old reamer vans with onboard sleeping capacity); now we mostly go out on the river to get some exercise, approach the creeks from the mouth, watch birds, and drink beer and generally screw around.
Used to do a lot of the work on my cars when I had more energy and less money, but my general mechanical aptitude is average at best (though I did once fix the shift linkage in an E150 with duct tape, in a boat ramp parking area, which impressed the hell out of my boating companion that day 😄). And I was sort of notorious for installing car stereo on the coldest day of the month, without a garage.
That sailboat belonged to a friend's father. When he died, she asked if any of us were interested in buying it off the estate. We had never seen it, and it turned out to be an obvious money pit, and suitable only for the bay, where it was berthed. Way more fun to think about than to own, so not buying it felt like dodging a bullet. Some of my buddies had more practical small sailboats that could be cartopped, back when cars were more capable of that. One guy had a sailing rig for a 17-foot Grumman canoe, and we took it camping one time. Another time, on a 4-person trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, we hooked two Grummans together side by side, improvised a sail with a poncho and two paddles, and used it to run down a lake before the wind. Great fun. 😎
Dang, that sounds like a whole lot of fun! Man, I need to get out more.