What is almost certainly the very last CNC lathe update this year!

What is almost certainly the very last CNC lathe update this year!

December 31st, 2017, 6:13 pm #1

But, this time, finally!- we can call it a success!

The mechanical side has been mostly done for some weeks, only waiting on me to figure out the software side. Which has been at times difficult, since, as I've said, I have very, very little hands-on background with CNC in general, let alone actually operating one.

The latest issue I had was trying to get the tool offsets set. Nothing was coming out right, and after a solid dozen tries, I was pretty damn frustrated.

Then one of the guys on the Centroid board says "when you tell the X axis to move 1", it does only move .5"... right?"

[slaps forehead]

Nope. It's right there in the previous update: a 4" move measures 4".

You'd think I'd never operated a lathe before!

(For those following along at home, the workpiece is turning, so a cutter removes metal all around the outside of the cylinder. Moving the cutter 1/4" in reduces the size of the part by 1/2".)

After repeated facepalms, I went and re-reset all the tool offsets and part zeroes and other magic incantations I needed, and tried again.

Raw stock, showing where I'd done the skim cuts for the tool setting:

Roughing:

The finish pass:

And done!

I parted it manually, as I only have the one tool set up in the library so far, but it works! I've been working on this damn thing for two years, I've gone through and completely changed the electronics about three times, and I don't even want to know how much money I have tied up in all of it, but it finally works.

Happy New Year to me, and everybody else out there!

Doc.

December 31st, 2017, 8:01 pm #2

You should have made it a King instead of a pawn (apart from the cross on top - that's a whole other ball of wax, but anyway) just so you can say you finally checkmated Murphy on this project!

December 31st, 2017, 9:48 pm #3

As you might imagine, I didn't write that program- or for that matter, even select or install it. It was bundled into the software and comes already queued up- I just had to get the machine working, set the various parameters, and push the "cycle start" button.

Point in fact, right now I still have no idea how to... you know... take it out of there, or replace it with one of my own (as yet entirely theoretical) programs.

Doc.

January 1st, 2018, 12:20 am #4

The mechanical side has been mostly done for some weeks, only waiting on me to figure out the software side. Which has been at times difficult, since, as I've said, I have very, very little hands-on background with CNC in general, let alone actually operating one.

The latest issue I had was trying to get the tool offsets set. Nothing was coming out right, and after a solid dozen tries, I was pretty damn frustrated.

Then one of the guys on the Centroid board says "when you tell the X axis to move 1", it does only move .5"... right?"

[slaps forehead]

(For those following along at home, the workpiece is turning, so a cutter removes metal all around the outside of the cylinder. Moving the cutter 1/4" in reduces the size of the part by 1/2".)

After repeated facepalms, I went and re-reset all the tool offsets and part zeroes and other magic incantations I needed, and tried again.

Roughing:

The finish pass:

And done!

I parted it manually, as I only have the one tool set up in the library so far, but it works! I've been working on this damn thing for two years, I've gone through and completely changed the electronics about three times, and I don't even want to know how much money I have tied up in all of it, but it finally works.

Doc.
Looks good! How many pawns did you make until now? One fun thing you might want to do next is experiment with making adjustments to the offsets. Cut the part then stop it after the finish pass, then make an adjustment to the X-offset and see if you can re-run just the finish (depending how the program is written). The centroid controller wants you to make changes to the offset values directly, so write them down ahead of time just in case you have to backtrack. Then grab the X-value and shrink it by like 0.010" and see how much the part shrank in reality after cutting the finish again. Hopefully it comes out close to where you would predict!

January 1st, 2018, 12:30 am #5

[slaps forehead]

Roughing:

The finish pass:

And done!

Doc.
I, sadly, have to admit that my CNC expertise lies with the mills for the most part. Mainly because, for what ever reason, basic CNC mill operations is relatively similar across the majority of machines I have operated. But for, again, what ever reason, that is not quiet the same with the lathes. Oh the basic ideas are the same with the axis, tooling and so. But from my own experience, that with the general programing. The programing for one make of lathe that I learned was not the quite the same on another make lathe. I could do tooling changes, adjust offsets and the like, but never got far in programing any lathes. Shoot, I was able to program Mori-Seiki, Haas, Fadal and other similar mills at the machine on a regular basis. Just not the lathes, bummer that.

So I can say that you might could be prepared that in the future, if you change the CNC OS that drive the lathe, you could run into changes that your old programs may not work right if at all.

But again, CONGRATULATIONS on the success on getting machine working. There are a couple of books that could be of some help. If you don't have them already that is.

https://ebooks.industrialpress.com/cont ... 003635.jpg
https://ebooks.industrialpress.com/prod ... ng-turning

https://ebooks.industrialpress.com/cont ... 026292.jpg
https://ebooks.industrialpress.com/prod ... es50026292