What every vampire hunter needs....

What every vampire hunter needs....

MephitMark
MephitMark

September 9th, 2011, 2:21 am #1

An Antique Stake Pointer.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/t ... 10577.html

Now just what does a zombie hunter need though?

J. Cook
J. Cook

September 9th, 2011, 6:05 am #2

that thing looks like a giant pencil sharpener. probably the same principle, too.

Fathom
Fathom

September 9th, 2011, 9:30 am #3

A shotgun
A Machete/ blunt object
and rope, about a hundred feet of it and why?

because when you need it you'll be so happy you have it.

Deus Machina
Deus Machina

September 9th, 2011, 11:22 am #4

My particular choice would be a rifle in the fastest, most common small caliber you can find. .22 or 5.56.

I'm also a fan of a pipe with a good big cap on the end, rather than a machete. Especially because you can get 1/2" iron pipe in 4- or 6-foot lengths, and through a 1/2-to-1 adapter on the end. *Clobber.*

But the rope is an absolute necessity. Tying up makeshift tents, rigging pulleys, rigging up deadfall traps. A spool of paracord is indispensable. Nice to have 3/8" rope along with it, though.

Of course, if you're in a building with rotters in the stairwells, you're not going to complain about 550 paracord digging into your hands until you're a few blocks away.

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

September 9th, 2011, 11:45 am #5

... an automatic point staker, which is a robotic arm designed to test football end-zone scenarios.

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

September 9th, 2011, 11:57 am #6

My particular choice would be a rifle in the fastest, most common small caliber you can find. .22 or 5.56.

I'm also a fan of a pipe with a good big cap on the end, rather than a machete. Especially because you can get 1/2" iron pipe in 4- or 6-foot lengths, and through a 1/2-to-1 adapter on the end. *Clobber.*

But the rope is an absolute necessity. Tying up makeshift tents, rigging pulleys, rigging up deadfall traps. A spool of paracord is indispensable. Nice to have 3/8" rope along with it, though.

Of course, if you're in a building with rotters in the stairwells, you're not going to complain about 550 paracord digging into your hands until you're a few blocks away.
At the risk of opening up the usual can of 'why this would be better', your best bet for such things are those items it would be useful to carry for other reasons than zombie combat. Saving weight and all.

Fire axes - chop down doors for entry into areas, cutting wood for fires/other applications.
Crowbar - somewhat less destructive entry methods.
Hatchet - lightweight backup tool, good for constructing barricades/defenses...
etc, etc...

I think my favorite anti-rotter tool would be the Stanley FatMAX FUBar. It's designed for demolition work, so being able to tear apart structures for useful materials/scavenging is a snap, but just LOOK at the thing and tell me it's not designed for pulping zombie brains...

(that's the emergency services one. The 'civvy' model has different grips and the jaw wrench is a square sewer/gas one)

Ian
Ian

September 9th, 2011, 12:46 pm #7

With their ZK (Zombie Killer) line of knives:

http://gizmodo.com/5815033/ka+bar-zk-kn ... thout-them

Sian
Sian

September 9th, 2011, 12:51 pm #8

that thing looks like a giant pencil sharpener. probably the same principle, too.
Looks like that's exactly how it works. Hilarious.

Snowtroll
Snowtroll

September 9th, 2011, 12:55 pm #9

Exactly what is a 5.56 or similar going to do to a rotter?
Kill it?

A bit too late for that.

you need to physically 'take them apart'.
A Mossberg(or whatever your fave brand is) pump-action shotgun loaded with 'something heavy'(ie; anything but birdshot) or 40mm grenade launchers is more like it.

Crowbars, machetes, axes, or anything else that can be used to chop off arms and legs is also good.

Solar
Solar

September 9th, 2011, 1:22 pm #10

What I wonder, when the Zombie Fighters out there consider their arsenal, is why there's this plethora of axe wielders, pipe wielders, spanner wielders, etc. etc. etc....

But where are the swordsmen?

Give me a katana, or even a good european-medieval longsword, and I have my close-combat weapon of choice. Sharp enough to chop off, heavy enough to crush, light enough to be wielded swiftly and persistently against plentiful opponents.

For distance, it's the AA-12 with HE rounds, of course.