Weird E-Mail problem...

Weird E-Mail problem...

January 9th, 2018, 9:09 pm #1

Wondering if anyone can tell me what's going on.

I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird for my email, and have been for many years. I went to check my mail this morning, which told me I had seven messages. I clicked "get messages" like usual, but it only downloaded four- after that indicating there were no additional messages.

After sorting those out, the "you have mail" icon pops up, so I click the "get messages" button again. The dialogue box at the bottom of the frame tells me it's downloading 1 of 4 messages... which is a repeat of the last of the first four.

It's not spam, technically, but it's just an auto-generated sales blurb from Storenvy, where I have my online store, telling me about some upcoming site-wide sale.

I delete that, hit "get messages" again. It again tells me it's downloading one of four messages- the same ad from Storenvy. Click again, I get another copy. Click ten times, I get ten copies of the exact same email.

All the while, the (presumably) other three messages aren't downloading, and I apparently have no way of accessing them.

What could be causing that, and how might I go about fixing it?

Doc.

January 9th, 2018, 10:21 pm #2

I had trouble with a Thunderbird setup refusing to send emails from an application, and updating Thunderbird fixed it.

You can force it to update in the help menu.

January 10th, 2018, 8:35 am #3

It would appear the problem is likely not on my end. I called my provider, and the guy I spoke to suggested trying it on a different device first.

I have a cheap laptop I picked up to help run the CNC router, and the guy I got it from had wiped it, so I did a fresh install for T-Bird.

It does the exact same things- downloaded the first four emails, then just gives me a copy of that same sales 'mail each time after that.

I called my provider back and told them about it, and they're supposed to be looking into it from their end. As of this moment- almost midnight on Tuesday- if I try checking my email again, all I get is a single copy of that same email again.

My Whiteboard email works, and the PayPal addy for Docsmachine works, so it's not, like, site-wide.

I'm hoping it'll be solved in the morning, but we'll see. I'm in the middle of a couple bits of rather important correspondence at the moment, so I'm sure not happy about it, but I guess ya gotta deal with it as it comes.

Doc.

January 10th, 2018, 2:44 pm #4

Can you get your provider to delete the email that keeps coming in?

My suspicion is it is triggering something and not showing the host it has been downloaded.

I've seen this before.

January 10th, 2018, 2:53 pm #5

But does your provider have a web mail interface? If so try logging in using that and see if you can delete the offending mails.

If that doesn't work you might be able to telnet into the mail server and manually delete the mail. I've done that once, many many years ago. It's possible as the mail protocols work in clear text, so you can send the commands and receive the answers using telnet. It's how it was done in the bad old days. Not sure if it would work with the hardened versions such as POP3 using secure encrypted connections though...

January 10th, 2018, 6:54 pm #6

It would appear the problem is likely not on my end. I called my provider, and the guy I spoke to suggested trying it on a different device first.

I have a cheap laptop I picked up to help run the CNC router, and the guy I got it from had wiped it, so I did a fresh install for T-Bird.

It does the exact same things- downloaded the first four emails, then just gives me a copy of that same sales 'mail each time after that.

I called my provider back and told them about it, and they're supposed to be looking into it from their end. As of this moment- almost midnight on Tuesday- if I try checking my email again, all I get is a single copy of that same email again.

My Whiteboard email works, and the PayPal addy for Docsmachine works, so it's not, like, site-wide.

I'm hoping it'll be solved in the morning, but we'll see. I'm in the middle of a couple bits of rather important correspondence at the moment, so I'm sure not happy about it, but I guess ya gotta deal with it as it comes.

Doc.
Can you access that email account via a web page through the provider? What may be happening is the email is getting scanned by something and it is locked up on the server. So Thunderbird gets the email but never sends back to the server properly or the server can't delete the downloaded email. Accessing the account directly may solve the issue when you delete the email on the server directly.

Steampunkhawk

January 10th, 2018, 8:19 pm #7

But does your provider have a web mail interface? If so try logging in using that and see if you can delete the offending mails.

If that doesn't work you might be able to telnet into the mail server and manually delete the mail. I've done that once, many many years ago. It's possible as the mail protocols work in clear text, so you can send the commands and receive the answers using telnet. It's how it was done in the bad old days. Not sure if it would work with the hardened versions such as POP3 using secure encrypted connections though...
You guys had it. Once they deleted that particular email, that "opened up the blockage" and everything started working fine again.

The tech I spoke to said the email must have been fragmented, something about it wouldn't let the system properly recognize that it'd been downloaded, and since it hadn't "downloaded", it wouldn't feed me the rest.

But they took care of it, and everything's hunky-dory again.

Doc.

January 10th, 2018, 11:21 pm #8

And why?

January 11th, 2018, 4:56 pm #9

Like the nearly-entirely female turtle population in Australia.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/01 ... t-females/