Wait, what? PB Park sued for not letting blind players play?

Wait, what? PB Park sued for not letting blind players play?

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

December 19th, 2011, 3:26 am #1

No, I'm not kidding. (At least, I don't think I am, the original article is behind a paywall.)

Really?!?

What's even better is that the stated purpose of "Blind Industries and Services of Maryland", is- get this- to positively change people's attitudes about blindness.

I'm pretty sure that giving me an instant opinion that they're all sue-happy assholes looking for a legal payday does not fall under the description of a "positive" change.

What next? The association for deaf people starts suing radio stations?

Personally, I think the field should invite a representative of 'Blind Industries' over. Tell him they're real sorry for the misunderstanding, and they'd like to make amends. Here's a free rental marker, some goggles, and 200 rounds of paint. The other team is that way, don't go outside the boundaries, and we're playing center flag today. Knock yourself out.

Doc.

ydna
ydna

December 19th, 2011, 3:32 am #2

It sounds like they're saying the term "blind firing" somehow has a negative connotation to it. Is this akin to a hate crime or something? lol

sergi
sergi

December 19th, 2011, 3:37 am #3

No, I'm not kidding. (At least, I don't think I am, the original article is behind a paywall.)

Really?!?

What's even better is that the stated purpose of "Blind Industries and Services of Maryland", is- get this- to positively change people's attitudes about blindness.

I'm pretty sure that giving me an instant opinion that they're all sue-happy assholes looking for a legal payday does not fall under the description of a "positive" change.

Personally, I think the field should invite a representative of 'Blind Industries' over. Tell him they're real sorry for the misunderstanding, and they'd like to make amends. Here's a free rental marker, some goggles, and 200 rounds of paint. The other team is that way, don't go outside the boundaries, and we're playing center flag today. Knock yourself out.

Doc.
not saying it was wise, but it was fun. and the crowd thought it hilarious. (with another blind folded player)

still wore masks, over our blindfolds.
rule was you had to answer if the other guy yelled marco, (before shooting).

we were within 5 feet a few times. eek.

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

December 19th, 2011, 3:51 am #4

Really?!?

Doc.
Or they managed to get some ambulance chaser to sign on to work this racket over.

What a mess. I hope the judge slaps them over the head and awards the field fees and substantial compensation for their troubles.

nodak85
nodak85

December 19th, 2011, 4:28 am #5

Really?!?

Doc.
Since they were not allowed to play the company gets sued. The company lets them play, they get hurt or even worse hurt someone else. The field still gets sued. Very shitty senario. But I would take the rather. At least I would get the shoot the shit out of the fucker before he sued.

jwhouk
jwhouk

December 19th, 2011, 5:36 am #6

Really?!?

Doc.
...is for the park's lawyers to say, "By having these rules, we're out to prevent there being more people from becoming blind."

Nohbody
Nohbody

December 19th, 2011, 5:37 am #7

Really?!?

Doc.
I was able to go to what looks like the whole article through Google News's link to the article. Ends with "Even if they are blind", right?

The link, with Google redirect, via a TinyURL:http://tinyurl.com/blindpaintball

Nohbody
Nohbody

December 19th, 2011, 5:42 am #8

Sorry, didn't realize the paywall you were referring to was for thedailyrecord.com. Disregard the above. :P

ta2maki
ta2maki

December 19th, 2011, 9:19 am #9

Really?!?

Doc.
Press release or whatever its called.
http://www.browngold.com/?s=news&ss=115

Solar
Solar

December 19th, 2011, 10:14 am #10

...is for the park's lawyers to say, "By having these rules, we're out to prevent there being more people from becoming blind."
...for the defense attorney.

The problem is, attorney fees scale with the amount in controversy, and you do face the risk that a stupid judge might actually rule against you.

So you settle the issue out-of-court, which is what these bastiches are after. A couple of letters written, a couple hundred dollars earned...