Voted today......Now lets get back to work

Voted today......Now lets get back to work

Another Evil Monkey
Another Evil Monkey

June 5th, 2012, 9:35 pm #1

Cast my vote today and I can't wait until we are done with this recall BS. I would just like a quiet night at home with no polling calls.

So Done!

Urban Werebear
Urban Werebear

June 6th, 2012, 1:58 am #2

I used to wonder at the devotion that it took to call random people off a list and try to get them to vote for a particular candidate. I mean, those people had to really believe in what that candidate was saying if they were willing to become telemarketers in that party/candidate's cause! Right?

Then came the day the temp agency I was working for at the time sent me to the local Republican campaign center. I took one look around and realized that at least three-quarters of the people there had been sent over by the same temp agency and were there because it was a decent paycheck. (Admittedly, I was there for the same reason. Gotta work to eat.)

Still, it makes you wonder, seeing how many people I knew were there only for the paycheck, how many of the ones who had actual positions in the campaign were there for the same reason. If that cheerful receptionist who said to everyone who came in "Vote for Bush!" with a blazingly cheerful smile on her face (This was for the Presidential election in 2004) was just a really good actress. If the guy training the paid phone shills was just looking forward to taking his girl out for a good steak dinner instead of seeing the candidate he supported win in a landslide.

This, quite frankly, is why I turn the answering machine off and check the caller-ID on EVERY call that comes in starting a month before every election. If I don't know the number, I don't answer. Because somewhere during those three weeks I was a paid political shill, I went from pessimism to cynicism. I started looking for the hidden agendas in everyone. And all too often, I found them. Not that a hidden agenda can't be good, it's just that too damned often there's a damned good reason they're hidden.

Okay, enough. Lack of nicotine is making me WAY too loquacious. Time to slap my fingers and say, "Bad werebear! No politics!"

Dark-Star
Dark-Star

June 6th, 2012, 3:21 am #3

Cast my vote today and I can't wait until we are done with this recall BS. I would just like a quiet night at home with no polling calls.

So Done!
On that note, beware of a creepy-as-hell letter that a certain party is sending:

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2012/06/we ... u-and.html

Imagine getting THAT in the mail.

Pump Scout
Pump Scout

June 6th, 2012, 3:27 am #4

So Done!
As a fellow Wisconsinite, I'm going to be real glad to see the recall campaign BS end... I hope, anyway. I have no faith that even after this all wraps up tonight, that there still won't be months upon months of recounts, mud slinging, and general hatred for a man doing exactly what he said he'd do in a very difficult job, and those who support him.

Ben

Urban Werebear
Urban Werebear

June 6th, 2012, 5:25 am #5

On that note, beware of a creepy-as-hell letter that a certain party is sending:

And it only made me more determined not to vote until I find someone worth voting for. I am now even more certain we need a "none-of-the-above" option when voting.

I am actually seriously contemplating putting a "RECALL EVERYONE" sign in my front yard.

Ketira
Ketira

June 6th, 2012, 6:19 pm #6

I used to wonder at the devotion that it took to call random people off a list and try to get them to vote for a particular candidate. I mean, those people had to really believe in what that candidate was saying if they were willing to become telemarketers in that party/candidate's cause! Right?

Then came the day the temp agency I was working for at the time sent me to the local Republican campaign center. I took one look around and realized that at least three-quarters of the people there had been sent over by the same temp agency and were there because it was a decent paycheck. (Admittedly, I was there for the same reason. Gotta work to eat.)

Still, it makes you wonder, seeing how many people I knew were there only for the paycheck, how many of the ones who had actual positions in the campaign were there for the same reason. If that cheerful receptionist who said to everyone who came in "Vote for Bush!" with a blazingly cheerful smile on her face (This was for the Presidential election in 2004) was just a really good actress. If the guy training the paid phone shills was just looking forward to taking his girl out for a good steak dinner instead of seeing the candidate he supported win in a landslide.

This, quite frankly, is why I turn the answering machine off and check the caller-ID on EVERY call that comes in starting a month before every election. If I don't know the number, I don't answer. Because somewhere during those three weeks I was a paid political shill, I went from pessimism to cynicism. I started looking for the hidden agendas in everyone. And all too often, I found them. Not that a hidden agenda can't be good, it's just that too damned often there's a damned good reason they're hidden.

Okay, enough. Lack of nicotine is making me WAY too loquacious. Time to slap my fingers and say, "Bad werebear! No politics!"
If I don't know the number, I usually let the answering machine take it, except I'd be listening via one of the handsets. That way, if it was my Mom (or another relative), I could pick up and chat.

But if I don't know your number or aren't expecting you to call --the other person gets to talk to the machine. Isn't it a nice invention?

Ketira
Ketira

June 6th, 2012, 6:24 pm #7

And it only made me more determined not to vote until I find someone worth voting for. I am now even more certain we need a "none-of-the-above" option when voting.

I am actually seriously contemplating putting a "RECALL EVERYONE" sign in my front yard.
....what's next? (Head over to CNN or your favorite news station to find out how it went.)

Makes me glad I am not living in Wisconsin. Here in Florida, if we don't like what we get, said person just doesn't last longer than one term.

Urban Werebear
Urban Werebear

June 6th, 2012, 8:34 pm #8

Y'know, it's not so much the fact that it was sent that gets to me, or the invasion of privacy it implies, it's the attempt to push people into mobbing the houses of their neighbors who didn't vote. That sounds suspiciously like trying to make peer pressure into a legitimate part of the political process... Oh, wait, it already is. What else would you consider the endless waves of "Vote for me!" telemarketer-style calls?

At least nobody actually showed up at my door saying "Be sure to vote!" in that insanely cheerful morning-person chirpy voice. I'm not sure I could justify the death to a jury. :P

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

June 7th, 2012, 6:28 pm #9

When you go out door to door for a candidate, I have, you get a list thats even more detailed. Who votes in primaries, who only votes in general elections, party affiliation name, key interests.

It really helps. If you are in a primary, and see a person who has voted in 2 previous, you can bet that they will again. So, you go talk to them. Or ask to sign a petition.

You can look up the data yourself too... it is public record, and if your neighbors like to tell you all about thier political views but havent had the drive to take 5 minutes and push a few buttons.. then they really should stuff it.

Pump Scout
Pump Scout

June 7th, 2012, 7:31 pm #10

Those lists are fairly expensive for Joe Anybody. I'm sure a larger group doesn't even bat an eye at it, but I'd looked into it when I ran for city council, and decided spending $250 or so for just my district wasn't a great expenditure of money. I went door to door myself, printed a map from the county's online records to make sure I didn't double-tap anyone, and printed up my own flyers. I was short 11 votes at election time, a six person swing.

Anyway, I heard that a full county's list can run over a grand for smaller counties, and likely much more for a higher population county. Again, no big deal for a group, or a candidate with an actual campaign fund, but for someone just to go buy the voter list is a little nuts.

Ben