Via Defcon 17 how to file safer with your checked luggage

Via Defcon 17 how to file safer with your checked luggage

Robert L Martin
Robert L Martin

June 15th, 2012, 10:43 pm #1

this is sort of doing a judo move on the regs but

use a hardcase suitcase and then pack one of your markers UNLOADED. have a nice sturdy lock on you NOT TSA APPROVED. when you get to the checkin very calmly state that you have an unloaded firearm in your luggage (and wish to declare same). At this point according to FEDERAL REGULATIONS your bag cannot be opened without you being present.

Oh and btw its FEDERAL LAW you must have a non-TSA approved lock on your luggage if it contains a "firearm".

any reasonable search can get you the details

Latrans
Latrans

June 16th, 2012, 2:56 am #2

This is a fairly common trick for people traveling with expensive gear/equipment (such as cameras). Not only does it legally prevent the luggage from being opened, it ensures that it will arrive on time at the right place. No airline would want the scrutiny brought on by a 'lost firearm'.

I'm not too sure on the 'non-TSA approved' lock though. Shouldn't that be 'TSA approved' instead?

kylekatern
kylekatern

June 16th, 2012, 3:38 am #3

TSA approved means that a lock has a built in bypass set up for a TSA master key. Basically it means your lock can be opened by the baggage folks then resealed, vs cut off of the baggage. The firearms laws basically state that they examine what you have, you fill out paperwork, you close and lock the case. The law says that the only way that case may then be opened is in your pretense

The premium TSa aproved combination locks often have a green/red indicator. If the lock gets unlocked using the master key, it goes to red until reset using the combination. However, said master key can be duplicated with a bobby pin or paper clip in less than 5 seconds.

Bergman Oswell
Bergman Oswell

June 16th, 2012, 10:02 am #4

You can't do it with a marker, since markers are not classified as firearms by either the TSA nor the FAA.

You need to do it with an actual firearm. Luckily, starter pistols qualify, due to the fact they use a blank .22 cartridge.

Snowtroll
Snowtroll

June 16th, 2012, 5:55 pm #5

TSA approved means that a lock has a built in bypass set up for a TSA master key. Basically it means your lock can be opened by the baggage folks then resealed, vs cut off of the baggage. The firearms laws basically state that they examine what you have, you fill out paperwork, you close and lock the case. The law says that the only way that case may then be opened is in your pretense

The premium TSa aproved combination locks often have a green/red indicator. If the lock gets unlocked using the master key, it goes to red until reset using the combination. However, said master key can be duplicated with a bobby pin or paper clip in less than 5 seconds.
At HackCon* here in Norway one year, one of the attendees asked about these locks while at the 'locksmith village' in the common areas.
He was told by another guest that 'if you can't open it, it's probably glued shut!'
The sentiment was that they were all just too easy to open, even as a 'starter' lock for those learning to pick locks.

When I left the con that year, I popped by a post office to mail a small package full of 'interesting bits of metal' that I didn't feel like taking through check-in or security...

The handcuff key I got another year I just put in between all the coins in my wallet...

*consider HackCon like Defcon, except it's smaller, the press can't just waltz in, and Powerpoint is banned. Hacks must if at all possible be demonstrated.
The guy demonstrating the lack of security on cable networks remoted in to his home PC somewhere else in the world and did realtime scans and hacks.
The guy who demonstrated breaking a hotel system and getting free pay-per-viev and stuff, was allowed to run a video recording of it. It was recorded on the hotel he was staying on... (He was using an alias at the con.)
Swedish Military Intelligence showed up one year...

WolfWings
WolfWings

June 17th, 2012, 6:12 pm #6

You can't do it with a marker, since markers are not classified as firearms by either the TSA nor the FAA.

You need to do it with an actual firearm. Luckily, starter pistols qualify, due to the fact they use a blank .22 cartridge.
Starter pistols in/out of Chicago Midway I'd be leary of, for instance, but a flare gun? Done it 2-3 times. Ditto PIT, SFO, SJC, and LAX. Since they count as a boating safety device nobody has a law against possession/ownership/transport for those 21 or older (below that, check local laws for destination/source/etc).

So what a lot of folks do is get a 24-gallon action packer (ends up ~61.5 "linear" inches, less than the 62 "oversized baggage" by a smidge) and a cheap Orion flare-gun from Wal-Mart w/ some long-shank padlocks.

Just make sure you don't bring any flares! FLARES CAN'T TRAVEL AT ALL! Not checked, not carry-on, verboten.

Robert L Martin
Robert L Martin

June 17th, 2012, 6:28 pm #7

"Compressed Air Guns (to include paintball markers) - Carried in checked luggage without compressed air cylinder attached."

this is a direct cut and paste from
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... items.shtm

of course if it sort of looks "real" that helps

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

June 17th, 2012, 7:58 pm #8

At HackCon* here in Norway one year, one of the attendees asked about these locks while at the 'locksmith village' in the common areas.
He was told by another guest that 'if you can't open it, it's probably glued shut!'
The sentiment was that they were all just too easy to open, even as a 'starter' lock for those learning to pick locks.

When I left the con that year, I popped by a post office to mail a small package full of 'interesting bits of metal' that I didn't feel like taking through check-in or security...

The handcuff key I got another year I just put in between all the coins in my wallet...

*consider HackCon like Defcon, except it's smaller, the press can't just waltz in, and Powerpoint is banned. Hacks must if at all possible be demonstrated.
The guy demonstrating the lack of security on cable networks remoted in to his home PC somewhere else in the world and did realtime scans and hacks.
The guy who demonstrated breaking a hotel system and getting free pay-per-viev and stuff, was allowed to run a video recording of it. It was recorded on the hotel he was staying on... (He was using an alias at the con.)
Swedish Military Intelligence showed up one year...
Most luggage locks aren't to keep thieves out. Luggage locks are an inconvenience, not a preventative. If someone wants to steal your luggage, they'll take the whole thing someplace private and just slice a hole in it.

Luggage locks are to prevent casual pilfering, including from sticky-fingered luggage handlers who aren't part of the TSA inspection crew. They also serve to help make sure that the bags stay zipped closed during potential mis-handling, so the contents aren't spilled out if a zipper gets caught.

Snowtroll
Snowtroll

June 17th, 2012, 9:30 pm #9

My father has an old leather suitcase at home with a strap and belt buckle mounted on the outside.
When that is tightened up, no 'accident' will open it, and anyone attempting to pilfer anything will spend a lot more time than popping up a TSA-approved lock takes.

BTW, why must locks be approved by an online story archive?
http://tsa.transform.to

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

June 17th, 2012, 10:42 pm #10

"Compressed Air Guns (to include paintball markers) - Carried in checked luggage without compressed air cylinder attached."

this is a direct cut and paste from
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... items.shtm

of course if it sort of looks "real" that helps
they don't have to be declared like a firearm.