US NAVY railgun test 1080p video

Brandon_ha
Brandon_ha

March 1st, 2012, 4:49 pm #1

Stumpy
Stumpy

March 1st, 2012, 6:19 pm #2

Bring back the battleships!

Nothing to really shoot with these days but big guns are so much cooler than missiles.

Adam Moore
Adam Moore

March 1st, 2012, 6:52 pm #3

Somehow "awesome " is an understatement.

FireFrenzy
FireFrenzy

March 1st, 2012, 8:21 pm #4

Nothing to really shoot with these days but big guns are so much cooler than missiles.
I read somewhere once that once we got railguns sorted out that a battleship might become the superior way to project force onto targets, since its cheaper then a fighter and can do all sorts of damage when one of those rounds hits, sure its more line of sight but you can probably do parabolic arcs for longer ranges and indirect fire...

I hope this is true, now aircraft carriers are fun but there's just something about a battleship that screams FEAR ME in ways an aircraft carrier never can IMO... (this coming from someone who's only seen an Aircraft carrier on a tour of norfolk and from a walk around an iowa as a tourist couple of years back...)

ALSO, hella awesome...

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

March 1st, 2012, 8:25 pm #5

Well, until they start putting in all sorts of guidance systems and such. Im tired of watching the news to see that the taxes I pay for my entire working life will only pay for 1/3rd of a missle we just tossed at a mud hut in Crapcanistan.

Stumpy
Stumpy

March 1st, 2012, 9:09 pm #6

I read somewhere once that once we got railguns sorted out that a battleship might become the superior way to project force onto targets, since its cheaper then a fighter and can do all sorts of damage when one of those rounds hits, sure its more line of sight but you can probably do parabolic arcs for longer ranges and indirect fire...

I hope this is true, now aircraft carriers are fun but there's just something about a battleship that screams FEAR ME in ways an aircraft carrier never can IMO... (this coming from someone who's only seen an Aircraft carrier on a tour of norfolk and from a walk around an iowa as a tourist couple of years back...)

ALSO, hella awesome...
Just me saying "Bring back the battleships!"

I haven't read up lately but I believe the plan was to mount a single gun in a destroyer sized vessel and it would be more of a replacement for the 5in guns they currently mount.

I love battleships but they've proved a poor investment. They were built solely to combat other battleships. The big problem was despite the horrendous expense of their armor it was found that much cheaper aircraft could easily sink them and missiles developed since WWII haven't helped that any. Current vessels are completely unarmored compared to the behemoths of yore simply because no real protection can be offered by a reasonable amount of armor. Weapon technology has out paced armor technology.

They were also too valuable to use even when they were at the top of the naval food chain. If you lost your battleship and the enemy still had his you were at a significant disadvantage. In both world wars a battleship actually fighting enemy ships was a rare thing. Much cheaper vessels can do shore bombardment just as well.

Finally the mission of most navies world wide has changed. Since the collapse of the Soviet Union there is no threat of two heavily armed opponents going at each other. The US Navy acts more as a world coast guard and peace keeping force than something meant to defeat an equal opponent. The US Navy out numbers several of the next largest navies in the world combined. A battleship doesn't fit this role at all and even if a way was found to given ships some protection against modern firepower I don't think the environment is right for battleships right now.

At best I think we might see one or two small nuclear powered cruisers built for bombardment.

Criticism? Comments?

FireFrenzy
FireFrenzy

March 2nd, 2012, 9:11 am #7

Or as adam savage would say, I disregard your reality and substitute my own (one with bitching awesome battleships and heavy gear style stompy death robots)

Madcat
Madcat

March 2nd, 2012, 3:32 pm #8

Forget Heavy Gear I want to see them develop Battlemechs I want to pilot my Madcat XD.

Thorp
Thorp

March 2nd, 2012, 9:21 pm #9

FireFrenzy
FireFrenzy

March 3rd, 2012, 2:46 pm #10

Forget Heavy Gear I want to see them develop Battlemechs I want to pilot my Madcat XD.
But then thats probably because its what i played first...

The TCG is pretty cool...