Tweaking the field(Probably OT)

Andrew
Andrew

August 9th, 2012, 1:51 pm #1

Okay here's what's up. The church in the area was letting us use their field for free initially, then started charging 50 bucks a day. Not to bad, and since they are taking some risk letting us play there, no one thought it was that much. Now however they want to charge 15 for the first hour, 20 for the second, and 25 per hour after the first. Bugger that, I got some land, and tossed up a quick field to play on.

Over all I felt it played pretty well for a throw together of pallets, wire spools, and some typar. However having been a nuclear machinist mate in the navy I can't let it go with as is. I know it can be better, so I'll work more on it this weekend to smooth out the rough spots I noticed.

The initial field set up was a good sized concept field about120 by 185. Good size for the groups we had. Also to give it a little flare we left a few stands of trees on one edge for a little woodsball feel on that side. In the middle of the field we have a giant hill with really tall grass, lots of paths, and a flat top with a few small barricades. Pretty much used this for capture the flag games. It's really amazing to move around on, saw a lot of ambushes happen I wouldn't have thought possible. Finally had some air bunkers on gravel set up for small games, which saw almost no use at all.

At the end of the day cleanup was a snap except for the air bunkers. Definitely showed me that I don't want to use those, to much maintenance and cleaning every day. Took us a hour to deflate 12 of them since we dare not leave them in place. Another hour to clean off the paint and stow them, plus a ton of space in the truck.

So anyhow, I digress. Having explained the basic setup I was wondering if anyone had ideas I could use for constructing bunkers, what types of materials work well etc. also field diagrams would be useful. I tend to favor fields that slow a long game, but encourage people to move around on as well. Nothing sucks the wind out of your sails like watching 2 kids bunker at far ends and wing paint at each other for 10 minutes. Good for paint sales, but makes game delays to long IMO.

Some of the ideas we've had:
Buying the log kiddy playgrounds and setting those up as bunkers but without the swings and other accessories.
Creating "walls" and cutting various shaped holes in them
Sandbag pillboxes
Low hanging netting to restrict movement, but not fire.
Conex box with the ends cut off for a tunnel
Wrecked boat buried to keel

Money is kinda restricted, but I know a lot of people with a lot of junk that's been sitting around for 20+ years.

Anyhow, any ideas or thoughts would be welcome, docs already helped out a lot. But one of my goals is to put in things that people want, not just what I want.

M Squared
M Squared

August 9th, 2012, 2:13 pm #2

how about a junk car? Windows and maybe doors removed, seats intact. Take out the engine/trans etc to remove the (oil/gas/coolant) contamination risk.

could be good for scenario play

Steve Ronin
Steve Ronin

August 9th, 2012, 4:54 pm #3

Just a note if you're putting up fairly permenant structures.
Keep SEVERAL cans of wasp/hornet spray available.
Even if you're playing every weekend, it don't take but a day for a colony to get entrenched.

Also, go buy several large cheap boxes of mothballs. Bust them up into smaller pieces and scatter around structures.
The mothballs will help keep SNAKES away.

As for cars, I'd suggest a large SUV / Suburban.
And I'd def agree with stripping out anything with fluid in it.
engine, tranny, fuel tanks.

You can leave doors on, but bolt in wedges in the hinges, so the doors can't close but to 3/4.
As for the windows, fix them into half open position.

back in the day, I helped build a few fields.

PV544
PV544

August 9th, 2012, 5:08 pm #4

Also I wouldn't leave any glass in the car. You will have bits and shards the first day... I would also try to avoid any acute angles in any of the props...

Andrew
Andrew

August 9th, 2012, 7:52 pm #5

how about a junk car? Windows and maybe doors removed, seats intact. Take out the engine/trans etc to remove the (oil/gas/coolant) contamination risk.

could be good for scenario play
Currently I drive for a cab company, and my boss said I could get a few old cabs to put in the field. I think those will be more. For the themed field we plan for the back end of the property eventually. For that we where planning a city street with mocked up buildings and old cars in it for something different. Nice to know about the glass part though, I wasn't sure if it would hold up or not. Now I know removing the glass will be the right call. As for the car doors we will probably jam them either open or closed. If we leave them open I'd worry about a kid doing a header into a door corner. Maybe some spray insulation foam would be the cure for that?

OmniMech
OmniMech

August 9th, 2012, 8:39 pm #6

I don't think the spray insulation foam would work very well for protecting corners. I would imagine that it would break off the door fairly quickly, and all but disintegrate when it takes that first paintball hit.
One of the local paintball fields, here, has several cars and vehicles on one of their more popular fields. All the doors on the cars are permanently closed, and the glass has been removed from all of them. They also have a large 'UPS' style truck that IS open. Both driver and passenger doors are open, and the back door is open as well. It can be a nasty little surprise, but because all the doors are open, its not that tough to 'clear out'.
All of the cars and trucks (and an RV or two) have their engines, tanks, and tires removed, so there's no fluids or leaks or anything like that to worry about. Every vehicle has had their internals stripped out, even the helicopter, so nobody is going to have to worry about tripping over a seat or steering wheel or stick shift.
Vehicles can make for some very interesting bunkers, and 'props' for a city field, but you have to take care that there is NOTHING on, in, or around them that a player could get hurt on.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

August 9th, 2012, 10:17 pm #7

Okay here's what's up. The church in the area was letting us use their field for free initially, then started charging 50 bucks a day. Not to bad, and since they are taking some risk letting us play there, no one thought it was that much. Now however they want to charge 15 for the first hour, 20 for the second, and 25 per hour after the first. Bugger that, I got some land, and tossed up a quick field to play on.

Over all I felt it played pretty well for a throw together of pallets, wire spools, and some typar. However having been a nuclear machinist mate in the navy I can't let it go with as is. I know it can be better, so I'll work more on it this weekend to smooth out the rough spots I noticed.

The initial field set up was a good sized concept field about120 by 185. Good size for the groups we had. Also to give it a little flare we left a few stands of trees on one edge for a little woodsball feel on that side. In the middle of the field we have a giant hill with really tall grass, lots of paths, and a flat top with a few small barricades. Pretty much used this for capture the flag games. It's really amazing to move around on, saw a lot of ambushes happen I wouldn't have thought possible. Finally had some air bunkers on gravel set up for small games, which saw almost no use at all.

At the end of the day cleanup was a snap except for the air bunkers. Definitely showed me that I don't want to use those, to much maintenance and cleaning every day. Took us a hour to deflate 12 of them since we dare not leave them in place. Another hour to clean off the paint and stow them, plus a ton of space in the truck.

So anyhow, I digress. Having explained the basic setup I was wondering if anyone had ideas I could use for constructing bunkers, what types of materials work well etc. also field diagrams would be useful. I tend to favor fields that slow a long game, but encourage people to move around on as well. Nothing sucks the wind out of your sails like watching 2 kids bunker at far ends and wing paint at each other for 10 minutes. Good for paint sales, but makes game delays to long IMO.

Buying the log kiddy playgrounds and setting those up as bunkers but without the swings and other accessories.
Sandbag pillboxes

Money is kinda restricted, but I know a lot of people with a lot of junk that's been sitting around for 20+ years.

Anyhow, any ideas or thoughts would be welcome, docs already helped out a lot. But one of my goals is to put in things that people want, not just what I want.
Unless you're specifically trying to build an "urban wasteland" or "urban warfare" type of scenario field, skip the cars. Even after all the work needed to safe it (removal of the glass, gas tank, any oil, weld the doors, etc.) they're a pain to move in and worse, almost impossible to move once placed, if and when you might want to reorganize the field.

You're kind of overthinking the barricades. Unless it's a well-run scenario game with missions and whatnot, the players don't care whether they're hiding behind a well-painted plywood Sherman tank mockup or a stack of old tires. The game is the interaction between players- bunkers are just something the players use to keep from getting shot. And for that, a pile of old cable spools works just as well as a $100 inflatable beer can.

One of the best local field we ever had was Rocky's out in Caribou Hills, and he used three kinds of very basic barricades:

Two oil drums welded together to make a pillar, stacks of tires (the round ones are big tractor tires wrapped with heavy plastic) and two kinds of constructed bunkers, both being simple wood skeletons with heavy plastic sheeting. The domed ones had "ribs" of PVC pipe, as I recall.

The plastic sheeting is a product similar to Typar, but it's solid plastic, not the woven stuff. It was very heavy and durable, and basically made a rigid copy of an inflatable bunker.

That's all you really need. And one thing I like about that setup above, is it doesn't look like a junkyard. There IS a PR aspect to the appearance of the overall field, both in your location right alongside the highway like that, and to a prospective customer- especially the mothers of younger kids. A field like that above looks somewhat friendlier (and safer) than a yard full of wrecked cars.

If it were me, I'd spend some time making about half a dozen each of those triangular and domed barricades- they're just simple wooden frames with the plastic stapled on- and pick up some oil barrels. (Just be careful when you go to weld 'em together, if they ever held anything remotely flammable.) And all three are lightweight and easy to move when it comes time to reorganize the field.

Doc.

MNSparky
MNSparky

August 10th, 2012, 12:16 am #8

Sandbag pillboxes

Free upright pianos are constantly on Craig's List...they are kinda heavy though...would be fun. All I wound need is some spare time and a 1 ton stake truck with a lift gate...

Barry
Barry

August 10th, 2012, 2:18 am #9

Sandbag pillboxes

I played on a field that had a wooden casket. Plastic 55 & 30 gal. drums can be cut into interesting shapes & bolted together. Car tires are nasty ... unless you paint them.

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

August 10th, 2012, 2:32 am #10

Free upright pianos are constantly on Craig's List...they are kinda heavy though...would be fun. All I wound need is some spare time and a 1 ton stake truck with a lift gate...
... It would give a whole new meaning to "Don't Shoot! I'm only the Piano Player!" But s/he still has to wear a face shield.

Play List:
Merry Go Round Broke Down
Powerhouse
Smile Darn Ya Smile
William Tell Overture (Rossini)
Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody #2