TWB: Wow...

TWB: Wow...

Katy
Katy

January 4th, 2012, 6:38 am #1

Please tell me this isn't based off a true story...

On a separate note, I used to have a rock tumbler. It wasn't NEARLY big enough to hold a marker though. XD

Webwolf
Webwolf

January 4th, 2012, 6:56 am #2

It's sintering time! (n/t)

The_Islander
The_Islander

January 4th, 2012, 9:20 am #3

Please tell me this isn't based off a true story...

On a separate note, I used to have a rock tumbler. It wasn't NEARLY big enough to hold a marker though. XD
If Doc is willing to carry a vertical mill around, maybe there are some massive rock tumbler... I can't help it but think about that power blender guy and his catchy warning phrase "Don't breathe this".

Now... Is that cat/feline a new guy? Or just a random client?

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

January 4th, 2012, 9:47 am #4

My money is on just a one-timer, but Doc not wanting to go for his usual 'no-neck human' type. Perhaps stretching his artistic muscles a bit by doing a domestic cat rather than his usuals.

Of course, it does sound like the guy is familiar with Doc, so we may see him in the shop or on the field.

WildRiot
WildRiot

January 4th, 2012, 9:59 am #5

I got a crisp $20 that says its a field regular we haven't seen in a strip before...

FireFrenzy
FireFrenzy

January 4th, 2012, 12:10 pm #6

No Tigers

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

January 4th, 2012, 1:26 pm #7

As I've noted before, I felt I've been short-changing myself a bit. I wasn't very good at drawing quasi-realistic looking people, so I didn't. The bubble-head was a shortcut, though one that worked, to a certain extent, in the context, as they were random players, faceless customers, background people.

Well, I can't practice drawing people if I don't draw them, so I decided to stop doing the bubble-head bit, and work on making the background characters a little more realistic- or at least a little more detailed.

Except that that made me think that, since the regular characters are "furry", having more detailed human characters just adds to the dissonance of having a mixed human/anthro universe.

Therefore, I've skipped over the human characters altogether, and henceforth, all one-off, random and background characters will now also be anthropomorphic.

It still won't give me any practice doing human characters, unfortunately, but it will force me to work on diversifying my character designs- something I've also needed to do. You'll note that this cat-guy has basically the same body shape as Swamps and Red, the same cheek ruff that almost everybody except Bandit gets, the same lighting-bolt hair, etc.

I'm either going to have to work on those sorts of details, to make a wider array of unique characters, or I'm going to wind up 'defaulting' to what would likely be just two or three characters I keep reusing.

Now, it's possible that one of them- or eventually even several of them- may become regulars, as in, named, consistent, repeating/reappearing characters. I have no plans for any at the moment, but you never know. Gino, for example, was supposed to be a one-shot, a "crossover" of the infrequently-appearing "panda mauls Brent" gag character from PVP. But I liked the idea of a surly, bruiser panda character, so I brought 'im back.

Ditto Kasi- she (who didn't even start out as a "she") was just going to be a sort of "random encounter" character for the one storyline, but the immediate Guild reaction (assuming it was a girl, assuming 'she' was a new permanent character, and further assuming "she'd" be a love interest for Jinx [and all after just a single appearance- literally only one panel]) suggested maybe there was something to the character.

So, bottom line. There will be more fuzzy characters in TWB. Some might stay, most won't, some might reoccur without being a regular (kind of like Larry and Daryl) and some, like the Bumblebee man in the Simpsons, will only ever be seen in the background or in mob scenes. Just because we see a "new" character, don't automatically assume they're a new addition to the roster.

Speaking of Larry and Daryl, they're useful as field regulars, so I might have to morph 'em over to furries... maybe squirrels or something. Any suggestions?

Doc.

Sian
Sian

January 4th, 2012, 1:37 pm #8

As long as there's an occasional mink, badger or wolverine, we're good. XD

Nohbody
Nohbody

January 4th, 2012, 1:50 pm #9

As I've noted before, I felt I've been short-changing myself a bit. I wasn't very good at drawing quasi-realistic looking people, so I didn't. The bubble-head was a shortcut, though one that worked, to a certain extent, in the context, as they were random players, faceless customers, background people.

Well, I can't practice drawing people if I don't draw them, so I decided to stop doing the bubble-head bit, and work on making the background characters a little more realistic- or at least a little more detailed.

Except that that made me think that, since the regular characters are "furry", having more detailed human characters just adds to the dissonance of having a mixed human/anthro universe.

Therefore, I've skipped over the human characters altogether, and henceforth, all one-off, random and background characters will now also be anthropomorphic.

It still won't give me any practice doing human characters, unfortunately, but it will force me to work on diversifying my character designs- something I've also needed to do. You'll note that this cat-guy has basically the same body shape as Swamps and Red, the same cheek ruff that almost everybody except Bandit gets, the same lighting-bolt hair, etc.

I'm either going to have to work on those sorts of details, to make a wider array of unique characters, or I'm going to wind up 'defaulting' to what would likely be just two or three characters I keep reusing.

Now, it's possible that one of them- or eventually even several of them- may become regulars, as in, named, consistent, repeating/reappearing characters. I have no plans for any at the moment, but you never know. Gino, for example, was supposed to be a one-shot, a "crossover" of the infrequently-appearing "panda mauls Brent" gag character from PVP. But I liked the idea of a surly, bruiser panda character, so I brought 'im back.

Ditto Kasi- she (who didn't even start out as a "she") was just going to be a sort of "random encounter" character for the one storyline, but the immediate Guild reaction (assuming it was a girl, assuming 'she' was a new permanent character, and further assuming "she'd" be a love interest for Jinx [and all after just a single appearance- literally only one panel]) suggested maybe there was something to the character.

So, bottom line. There will be more fuzzy characters in TWB. Some might stay, most won't, some might reoccur without being a regular (kind of like Larry and Daryl) and some, like the Bumblebee man in the Simpsons, will only ever be seen in the background or in mob scenes. Just because we see a "new" character, don't automatically assume they're a new addition to the roster.

Speaking of Larry and Daryl, they're useful as field regulars, so I might have to morph 'em over to furries... maybe squirrels or something. Any suggestions?

Doc.
If it weren't for Swampy and Red, I would have suggested foxes, which seem to be the go-to for "generic furry creature" in modern Earth-alike settings. With S and R, though, that might be further contributing to the problems you've talked about with differentiating characters.

Squirrel sounds, off the top of my head, like it wouldn't be that bad an idea, as Larry and Daryl* do seem a little nuts. :P But seriously, whatever you decide, be aware of getting too clever for your own good, as Howard Tayler did with the F'Sherl-Ganni (the wormgate race from Schlock Mercenary) and their ten hands on six limbs that proved to be a pain for him to draw.

* And while I'm here, do they have another brother Daryl? :P

Squirlly
Squirlly

January 4th, 2012, 2:00 pm #10

Doc.
And if anyone that knows me knows I'm a character.... (waits for my friends to stop laughing)

I'm a middle aged overweight guy with COPD(it's kinda like asthma) that refers to my extra "padding" (aka fat) as "Reactive Paintball Armor" because just like on a tank if it bounces off it don't count muhahahaha, and yes I can hide behind a tree because if you shoot me in the stomach it will only bounce, I really only have to hide the "hard parts" like the mask, marker and pods. I NEVER RUN on the field because I don't have to, if we are barely in range of each other you'll get bounces I get breaks!

Really Doc feel free to use me as a character free of charge and if you want a more detailed character bio from real life just email me I'll give you the whole low down, even opening up the ridicule gates for my buddies to put in their 2¢ in too! Even if you don't use him as a squirrel to protect the guilty really everyone who knows me thinks I'd fit right in with Doc's crew... or even on another team than Doc!! Competitors on the field friends everywhere else! That's just how I am with all paintballers, there isn't a team in my local area who has played against me who wouldn't let me play a tourney with them!!

-Tim