TWB: Webcomics are not a valid career choice!

TWB: Webcomics are not a valid career choice!

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

June 24th, 2011, 9:31 am #1

Hee hee hee...

It's true, though.. Everyone I've seen who has TRIED to make a living as a webcomic artist has failed, utterly and humiliatingly. The ones who DO make a living off it basically had the phenomenon more or less fall into their lap.

One does not choose to make a living drawing webcomics. It chooses you. Best you can hope for is to put a Paypal tip jar out and see what transpires.

Ketira
Ketira

June 24th, 2011, 10:29 am #2

Howard used to be a programmer, but he was getting burned out at that job when he started Schlock Mercenary. He's managed to (a) deliver a daily webcomic without too much difficulty (all the times it didn't go up on time were due to webserver difficulties) for at least ten years, and (b) managed to secure not one, but two Hugo nominations for Webcomics.* He also has a wife & family to support, all of whom have been very supportive of his choice. He made more money being a programmer, but he's happier now that he's quit that job.

DocN has said that this is a hobby of his, and that he loves doing it. I've been reading this strip for almost as long as he's been making them, and enjoying them while learning a new sport in the process. DocN, thanks for the laughs you've given me, and I hope to laugh at the strips for a few more years yet. If you have to stop making them, I hope you let us know before dropping into the archives of the Internet.

If I was there, I'd come by and give you a KOC.

*The only reason Howard hasn't won (he's up for one again this year) is because this comic keeps getting the most votes. But it's a good comic too.

tmk
tmk

June 24th, 2011, 10:49 am #3

or Something Positive, Penny Arcade, PvP, Sheldon/Drive, etc. etc. etc.

Gareth
Gareth

June 24th, 2011, 11:24 am #4

Tell him where to find Osama. Cash in on the what was it $20mil?

Nohbody
Nohbody

June 24th, 2011, 11:25 am #5

or Something Positive, Penny Arcade, PvP, Sheldon/Drive, etc. etc. etc.

Pete Abrams, of Sluggy Freelance fame

While not perhaps as much an "iron cartoonist" as Mr. Tayler, the first strip of Sluggy Freelance went up on August 25, 1997.

That said, though, while there are some webcomic authors who can make money off their comic work alone, there are like a bajillion (yes, that's a technical term :P ) who either do it as a hobby without caring if they can support a family on webcomic income., or crash and burn when they try to make a career out of it.

CTPatt
CTPatt

June 24th, 2011, 11:32 am #6

Hee hee hee...

It's true, though.. Everyone I've seen who has TRIED to make a living as a webcomic artist has failed, utterly and humiliatingly. The ones who DO make a living off it basically had the phenomenon more or less fall into their lap.

One does not choose to make a living drawing webcomics. It chooses you. Best you can hope for is to put a Paypal tip jar out and see what transpires.
... and Roger's hearing.

Masakatsu
Masakatsu

June 24th, 2011, 2:27 pm #7

Pete Abrams, of Sluggy Freelance fame

While not perhaps as much an "iron cartoonist" as Mr. Tayler, the first strip of Sluggy Freelance went up on August 25, 1997.

That said, though, while there are some webcomic authors who can make money off their comic work alone, there are like a bajillion (yes, that's a technical term :P ) who either do it as a hobby without caring if they can support a family on webcomic income., or crash and burn when they try to make a career out of it.
There is a term for that in economics, called the stardom effect. Within webcomics, there are so many losers and just a few winners. We can all point to the VERY few successful comics, but many of those out there fail or do not generate revenue on their own. Doc is successful because his main line of business allows for him to persue his hobby.

Scott Kurtz, the jerk that he is, does make several points on what it takes to succeed. Key is live somewhere cheep. That is why the profitable comics tend to live in some of the least expensive places in the World. Howard lives in Utah for gods sake. Jerry, Mike, and Scott live in Seattle - Mike and Jerry put a lot of their success on the business manager they hired, Robert.

I love Doc for the consideration of sharing his quality hobby with us, but it is pretty clear by his posts (hope I am not wrong here) that it is his other work that is paying the morgague.

Squirlly
Squirlly

June 24th, 2011, 4:01 pm #8

Hee hee hee...

Congrats or Condolences Doc depending on your mood

-Tim

Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

June 24th, 2011, 6:53 pm #9

Hee hee hee...

LOL Doc! Great job!

CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer

Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

June 24th, 2011, 7:27 pm #10

Hee hee hee...

(pic)