TWB: possibly pointless pondering

TWB: possibly pointless pondering

Nohbody
Nohbody

June 25th, 2012, 11:52 am #1

The 6/21 strip, in particular Jake's query to Pirta in the second panel, got me wondering about something that's probably about as important as... well, something completely unimportant. :P

Anyway, other than with Jinx and Kasi who've been said to be around 10 years old, just how old is the cast? Even with realistic furry art like the stuff from (for two examples off the top of my head) Kacey or Blotch, it's not easy to tell ages in many cases (or at least not easy for me).

Other than Howie or Red I'd say none of them are much past thirty, if I had to guess, but beyond that I wouldn't care to bet any money.

Urthdigger
Urthdigger

June 25th, 2012, 12:13 pm #2

I've always figure late 20s or early 30s N/T

Torinir
Torinir

June 25th, 2012, 12:58 pm #3

The 6/21 strip, in particular Jake's query to Pirta in the second panel, got me wondering about something that's probably about as important as... well, something completely unimportant. :P

Anyway, other than with Jinx and Kasi who've been said to be around 10 years old, just how old is the cast? Even with realistic furry art like the stuff from (for two examples off the top of my head) Kacey or Blotch, it's not easy to tell ages in many cases (or at least not easy for me).

Other than Howie or Red I'd say none of them are much past thirty, if I had to guess, but beyond that I wouldn't care to bet any money.
He'd probably be in his later years.

Kivuli
Kivuli

June 25th, 2012, 1:47 pm #4

I always guessed, based on conversation, relative maturity level, and other small cues throughout the comic:

Sandy, Shoey, Bandit, and Swampy are mid 20s
Pirta, Jake, and Tawny are right at or just before 30
Doc, Roger, and possibly Howie are mid to late 30s
Red is approaching 40
Rainman is 18 or so
Jinx and Kasi are about 10 to 12
Kasi's Mom (who according to Fountains of Wayne has got it going on) is mid 30s

jwhouk
jwhouk

June 25th, 2012, 1:52 pm #5

...But it's STACY'S mom that's got it goin' on.

As to the rest, I suspect that Howie is older than Red - possibly in his mid-40's.

Kivuli
Kivuli

June 25th, 2012, 2:00 pm #6

T'was a pun, my friend. Kasi and Stacy sound awfully similar, so the song goes through my head every time Kasi shows up in a strip.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

June 25th, 2012, 6:39 pm #7

nope it doesn't

Salda007
Salda007

June 25th, 2012, 7:01 pm #8

I always guessed, based on conversation, relative maturity level, and other small cues throughout the comic:

Sandy, Shoey, Bandit, and Swampy are mid 20s
Pirta, Jake, and Tawny are right at or just before 30
Doc, Roger, and possibly Howie are mid to late 30s
Red is approaching 40
Rainman is 18 or so
Jinx and Kasi are about 10 to 12
Kasi's Mom (who according to Fountains of Wayne has got it going on) is mid 30s
Ages are a little funny, here. The Whiteboard operates under the same comic-strip rules that keeps characters from aging much, if at all, which means that despite 10 years passing both in Real Life and comic time, the characters haven't really "aged" in their portrayal much, if at all. Jinx, for example, should probably be in his early 20s by now.

Sandy's introduced at the beginning of 2005, and she's still in college. During the "Bandit's First Game" story line in 2006, she mentions that five years before then, she was still in high school. That puts her at roughly 19-23. I'd peg her at the older end of that range, or maybe she's aged a few years since then. I'm figuring that she at least graduated, since she seems to be working at the shop full-time and there hasn't been mention of classes or anything.

Bandit played his first game in 1988. I'd say he's at least 10 at that point (running around a paintball field unsupervised), and really can't be younger than about 6 or so, which means he's late 20s or very early 30s when he tells the story.

Past here is my own speculation:

Swamps is probably the same age range as Sandy, +/- a year or two. Ditto Jake, Pirta, Shoey, and Tawny, with Shoey and Tawny on the younger side (early 20s). Rainy's a bit younger, maybe college-age; IIRC, he's still living at home with his parents, while the others all have their own places (with roommates).

Doc, Bruno, and Red are in their 40s. Howie, Roger, and Kasi's mother are in their late 30s or early 40s. No real evidence here, beyond Rainman's "Team Old, Fat, and Slow" crack, and the fact that Kasi is about Jinx's age, if a bit younger (11-12 or so?).

Kivuli
Kivuli

June 26th, 2012, 3:35 am #9

nope it doesn't
Neanderthal Toasters

MephitMark
MephitMark

June 28th, 2012, 3:15 am #10

That is one big reason I have felt that having an actual fur coat of my own.

If anything, I'm quite certain that Doc is in his mid 40's at least. A slightly younger version of Nickel himself.