TWB Poor Jinx

November 8th, 2017, 7:23 pm #1

It never fails! A kid just starts having fun and some adult has to come along and says its to dangerous and stops all of the fun.

November 8th, 2017, 9:53 pm #2

...about a mecha whose pilot can be ejected by some OUTSIDE the mecha....
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

November 8th, 2017, 11:44 pm #3

Most military grade vehicles (aircraft, tanks, etc..) have systems to allow rescue crews to remove vehicle operators in the event of an emergency. The point being if an enemy gets close enough to use it, you have already lost the fight.

November 9th, 2017, 2:08 am #4

The ones that say "push to open; pull handle back 8 feet." If somebody can pull one of those on a plane in flight, they've already proved they're the meanest son of a gun in the air.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

November 9th, 2017, 5:14 pm #5

...about a mecha whose pilot can be ejected by some OUTSIDE the mecha....
The eject mechanism is in the forearm of the mecha. It also seems to need some sort of code. It doesn't appear to be something an enemy can just come up and push.
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

November 9th, 2017, 7:49 pm #6

I was actually originally going to have Roger do some kind of "remote override" using his wrist display deelybobber, but it would have taken at least two panels, if not three, to "explain" that.

It was easier to just have Roj slap some control on the suit itself. And if we need to "explain" that, well, it's a prototype suit, not necessarily intended for actual combat, and thus has more safety features and failsafes built in than a "production" unit would. One of which being multiple "get me the heck out of this thing!" buttons, both inside and out. (One can presume there was one on each arm, probably one on the torso somewhere, and about a dozen that the pilot could reach. )

Doc.

November 10th, 2017, 9:22 pm #7

Doc? Installing SAFETY features?!

November 10th, 2017, 10:33 pm #8

DARPA can get pretty insistent about it. n/t

November 10th, 2017, 10:41 pm #9

Doc? Installing SAFETY features?!
Safety features are relative. The ejector seat in a jet fighter is a rocket motor on the bottom of the pilot's seat and explosive bolts on the canopy. It's only a "safety feature" because it's marginally better than riding the aircraft into the ground at 500 MPH.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!