TWB - Meticulousy built waste of time

TWB - Meticulousy built waste of time

Irregular Logic
Irregular Logic

February 24th, 2012, 6:42 am #1

Isn't that the truth about oddball stuff!

I really like the machine shop humor. Keep it up!

Cyco-Dude
Cyco-Dude

February 24th, 2012, 7:40 am #2

lol Doc is on a roll lately...keep it up! :P

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

February 24th, 2012, 7:40 am #3

With ultra-precision ball bearings you can tell if you're close, I wouldn't try for tenths accuracy with it.

And it needs a holder of some sort to clamp it in position while working with it.

Because if you lose your grip and that micrometer gets up speed from the workpiece and then gets flung... Hoo boy! Duck and Cover.

Stumpy
Stumpy

February 24th, 2012, 8:06 am #4

a holder I'd be real nervous having that near a spinning work piece. Assuming you could even get bearings precise enough to give consistent readings. My dad once told a story of a guy firing up a lathe with the key still in the chuck. It embedded itself in the block wall on the far side of the shop. As handy as it would be I'll stick to shutting it down for measurement.

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

February 24th, 2012, 9:04 am #5

I seem to recall that they do make those... Lemmie see if my google-fu is strong today...

Ah, yes. 'Dial Indicators', which would let you check the distance from the known center of rotation from your lathe...

... still would not want to check such a thing while the lathe is running, though. Eek.

Phoenix
Phoenix

February 24th, 2012, 9:07 am #6

a holder I'd be real nervous having that near a spinning work piece. Assuming you could even get bearings precise enough to give consistent readings. My dad once told a story of a guy firing up a lathe with the key still in the chuck. It embedded itself in the block wall on the far side of the shop. As handy as it would be I'll stick to shutting it down for measurement.
I'm thinking you'd need, not wheels, but a perfectly frictionless surface to have a chance of doing that without disaster.

If there's an aftermath comic to this, I'm expecting pain... or at least property damage.

Donkey
Donkey

February 24th, 2012, 11:04 am #7

Now why would you think that there would be a great deal of extensive property damage? It is not like Doc has a vast history of having his ideas go extremely wrong. You should have full trust in his safety record.

Donkey
Donkey

February 24th, 2012, 11:07 am #8

I seem to recall that they do make those... Lemmie see if my google-fu is strong today...

Ah, yes. 'Dial Indicators', which would let you check the distance from the known center of rotation from your lathe...

... still would not want to check such a thing while the lathe is running, though. Eek.
I thought I remembered something like that when I was in metal/wood shop in highschool

Webwolf
Webwolf

February 24th, 2012, 12:29 pm #9

I'd be too afraid of it yanking itself out of my hands, wheels or no-wheels. Bearings or no-bearings.

TM
TM

February 24th, 2012, 12:52 pm #10

Now why would you think that there would be a great deal of extensive property damage? It is not like Doc has a vast history of having his ideas go extremely wrong. You should have full trust in his safety record.
I didn't see anything explosive or radioactive as part of his design or implementation. So, as far as Doc is concerned it's perfectly "safe".