TWB called on account of wind...

TWB called on account of wind...

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

November 16th, 2011, 11:39 am #1

Sorry ladies and gents, but I dawdled too long on today's strip, and my power's wonky thanks to the 40-60mph wind. I've been sitting here for a while trying to come up with a gag, and the lights have been flickering slightly for a while now. And, as I type, I'm running on my battery backup, which by previous experience gives me roughly 10-12 minutes.

So you get retread Scraps for the time being and I'm going to bed. I'll try and have something up later this afternoon.

Doc.

Dulie
Dulie

November 16th, 2011, 12:09 pm #2

just in case of situations like this.

Kitkun
Kitkun

November 16th, 2011, 12:34 pm #3

Sorry ladies and gents, but I dawdled too long on today's strip, and my power's wonky thanks to the 40-60mph wind. I've been sitting here for a while trying to come up with a gag, and the lights have been flickering slightly for a while now. And, as I type, I'm running on my battery backup, which by previous experience gives me roughly 10-12 minutes.

So you get retread Scraps for the time being and I'm going to bed. I'll try and have something up later this afternoon.

Doc.
... who always sees them as having a mutant extra pair of eyes in the scraps? :P

And I hope the power doesn't stay out long. Stay warm up there, Doc.

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

November 16th, 2011, 5:14 pm #4

Doc.
Artist agonizing

Mind blown

Muses gone south, location unknown.

Mum Nature blows up a storm

howling everywhere, no end in sight.

Her saying "take a break from the pain and relax,

I got your back."

NH

Critter Rhode
Critter Rhode

November 16th, 2011, 5:35 pm #5

... who always sees them as having a mutant extra pair of eyes in the scraps? :P

And I hope the power doesn't stay out long. Stay warm up there, Doc.
Some times I think if we got a full face shot, we would see they have 2 eys on each side of the face. Or the eyes are on stalks and just swing to which ever side the camera is on.

Webwolf
Webwolf

November 16th, 2011, 5:59 pm #6

Doc.
Leftovers from that storm that smacked the Aleutians, Doc? Didn't think you'd get any effects from it, on account of being as far east as your are.

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

November 16th, 2011, 7:24 pm #7

... doesn't really matter - even if you have a generator and lots of fuel, and can merrily live off the grid for a week.

Cable Internet requires Utility power supplies every few miles back to the Cable Company Headend, and having power there to run the routers and connect to the Internet at large. And the Phone Company keeping that backhaul DS3 link to the world hot. Cable companies pay lip service to backup batteries, they go flat in a few minutes.

And even DSL and Dial-up can be killed by power going out to the Telco Remote DSLAM/Line Concentrator box for your neighborhood. (That cluster of big green or tan boxes by the curb that the repair trucks are always congregated around.) They have better backup batteries, but anything over an hour is a crap-shoot. And to get a generator backup they have to park a truck with a generator there.

If you are close enough to the real Switchroom to go there direct for your Dialtone and DSL (under 18,000 ft.) you have far better odds.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

November 16th, 2011, 10:59 pm #8

... Just not built-in ones.

Had the outage gone on more than 24 hours (it just came back... 53 minutes ago) I'd jumper a connection to get the furnaces going, but that's the only really important thing. (IE, keeping the pipes from freezing.)

The stuff in the fridge I can save just by dropping it in a cooler and setting it outside. My water well's semi-artesian, so I have limited water flow even if the power's off.

I have considered a standby generator- as in, a stationary, built-in type- but that's always been more expense than I wanted to invest in. Admittedly we have an outage probably once a year, maybe every eighteen or twenty months, but they're usually caused by wind and trees, and repaired within hours. This one, at roughly ten hours, is the longest one we've had in years.

And again, I have portables, and while admittedly no dedicated connections, ten minutes with a linesman's pliers and an extension cord would solve that.

Doc.

Nohbody
Nohbody

November 17th, 2011, 12:51 am #9

Doc.
Is there any chance of the Scraps page being updated with the other filler strips?

Just curious.

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

November 17th, 2011, 9:37 am #10

Artist agonizing

Mind blown

Muses gone south, location unknown.

Mum Nature blows up a storm

howling everywhere, no end in sight.

Her saying "take a break from the pain and relax,

I got your back."

NH