12:57 AM - Aug 08, 2018 #11

I get the feeling laziness might not be the best dad.

3:01 AM - Aug 08, 2018 #12

Beejay5169 wrote: Yep, it's back! And it's a good thing that Jinx is there. He's the right person to push The Button - from memory, he got donuts, but everyone else got a pie in the face (or worse.)
Ha! Found it!

Jinx Donuts
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

3:20 AM - Aug 08, 2018 #13

....A pie in the face......

...Or worse.....

A little knowledge is..... the default setting.

1:25 PM - Aug 08, 2018 #14

8-8-18
I think Jinx just inherited the store.

4:34 PM - Aug 08, 2018 #15

hinermad wrote:
KrakenRising wrote: We have been inconvenienced and shall risk tearing a hole in the universe as a solution.
Said pretty much every engineer, ever.

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is the father.
I freely admit that I'm lazy. But for me it manifests in taking the time for thought, coming up with solutions, getting the job done right the first time, and if practical, automating any repetitive task. I hate having to do things over and over!

I might spend hours creating and tweaking an EXCEL spreadsheet to simplify a regularly done complex process, be it for engineering calculations, job quoting, or a bowling-pin shooting score sheet.
AD ASTRA, AUT VIAM INVENIUM AUT FACIUM

11:15 PM - Aug 08, 2018 #16

There is laziness, and then there's Practical Procrastination. The latter devolves to one of three attitudes -

(a) Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely;

(b) Never put off until tomorrow what you can buckpass to someone else; and

(c) If the job's worth doing, it's worth getting someone more competent than me to do it. If it's not worth doing, stop annoying ME about it.

3:26 PM - Aug 09, 2018 #17

as someone who regularly gets the buck dumped unceremoniously on his desk at [RedactedCo] (and usually with a short note saying 'we needed this yesterday- how fast can you do it?'), I agree with all three items above. (I also am on the receiving end of (c) as well, as I try to be as competent as my skills and knowledge allow.)

9:23 PM - Aug 09, 2018 #18

"Never put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today/
If you do, it may lead to sorrow/
For if you do it today, and *like* it/
YOU CAN DO IT *AGAIN* TOMORROW!"
[Benny Hill]
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

9:48 PM - Aug 09, 2018 #19

jecook wrote: as someone who regularly gets the buck dumped unceremoniously on his desk at [RedactedCo] (and usually with a short note saying 'we needed this yesterday- how fast can you do it?'), I agree with all three items above. (I also am on the receiving end of (c) as well, as I try to be as competent as my skills and knowledge allow.)
As someone who has now retired from a similar situation to your current one, you have my deepest sympathy. And since you are regularly rescuing your disorganized managment and workmates, and actually doing three people's jobs, I'm afraid you can never be promoted, as you are 'too valuable in your current position.' (True quote from my former boss.)

10:12 PM - Aug 09, 2018 #20

Beejay5169 wrote: And since you are regularly rescuing your disorganized managment and workmates, and actually doing three people's jobs, I'm afraid you can never be promoted, as you are 'too valuable in your current position.' (True quote from my former boss.)
I've had that conversation myself. And don't ever believe them when they beg, "but if you can just hang in there a few more months, we'll hire someone for you to train to do this job so you can move on up." What happens is they hire someone, who then gets assigned to do the gruntwork a new project while you're stuck doing the same old sh... um, stuff.

At least I never got canned once the new guy did come up to speed on my job, but I know a couple other guys who did.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!