TWB 6/5/12: Time Paradox!

TWB 6/5/12: Time Paradox!

Ketira
Ketira

June 5th, 2012, 8:30 am #1

This reminds me of both Dexter's Laboratory and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

I wonder what would have happened if Roger had pushed that button?

FleetCommander
FleetCommander

June 5th, 2012, 12:08 pm #2

Just in a smarmy mood this morning. Carry on.

Ian
Ian

June 5th, 2012, 2:15 pm #3

From the early days in the series:
http://www.samandfuzzy.com/

Chris
Chris

June 5th, 2012, 3:52 pm #4

If your future self appears to tell you to not
push the button, that more than adequate warning
to not press it.

And also noted: If you insult the hired help that
YOU hired for a specific mission, count on the
fact you WILL get the "Julius Caesar" treatment
for it much later on.

Anon E. Mouse
Anon E. Mouse

June 5th, 2012, 5:56 pm #5

From the early days in the series:
http://www.samandfuzzy.com/
Time travelling mariachis never get old-or if they do, they recruit a younger version without caring about the paradox.

http://egotisticalproductions.blogspot. ... -m_01.html

CF
CF

June 5th, 2012, 11:47 pm #6

I'm wondering why: A) he's wearing a hat, and B ) he's being rained-on.

Paul van den Bergen
Paul van den Bergen

June 6th, 2012, 3:54 am #7

I once leaned on the Code Blue button in emergency...

Crisis over.
Deep Breath.
Lean back.
WAAHP WAAHP WAAHP
AAAAAAHHHH new crisis

logical follow up could also be... shrugs and presses it anyway

keantoken
keantoken

June 6th, 2012, 5:55 am #8

For himself in the future to appear to him and warn him of the button, he must have pressed it anyway.

For the future him to even decide to go back in time, then he must have already pressed the button.

If he is successful at warning himself, then the condition which would bring about the warning vanishes, so he cannot have been warned. This is a paradox. Thus it seems that in the act of time-traveling he would in fact be entering another timeline which diverges from his own before the button press. Upon returning he would just go back to his old timeline, nothing would be "fixed", while in the alternate timeline things might turn out differently. In his own timeline nothing will ever change. If he persists in believing that he has changed his past, he may create a whole bunch of alternate timelines and, if still ignorant at this point will likely create a bogus theory that explains his results. He may develop a pessimistic and diminutive personal narrative and become depressed, believing the problem is himself.

Due to the law-of-conservation-of-something, the timelines must converge at a later point. Roger's subjective experience of time will be multiplied in speed if nothing else, as the original Roger has been divided up amongst multiple timelines. The conscious subjective experience will not change in linearly identifiable ways due to the compartmentalization of timelines. The same will be true of any other character to the extent their personal timeline diverges from the original as a result of Roger's meddling. Apperception of the reality behind the veil could only occur in individuals with the skill of accurate nonlinear thinking but these individuals may not succeed in conveying the nonlinear reality to linear-minded persons who do not have voluntary motivations. At some point, to the degree of the individual and collective need for the resolution of the fractured subjective experience, the status quo of confluence WRT the quality of the individuals' inner lives will drift towards a deep and linearly indescribable voluntary motivation towards convergence and reconciliation of the multiplicitous timelines.

If he shrugs and presses it anyway then he is a total moron, but his future self will eventually try any means necessary to prevent him.

I don't understand why all the movies and literature seem to assume that it is even possible to go back in time and prevent the present you from doing something you already did, as you must have done it in order for the present you to even have the idea of going back in time to prevent it.

FireFrenzy
FireFrenzy

June 6th, 2012, 9:34 am #9

Especially since it breaks the second law of thermodynamics...

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

June 6th, 2012, 1:55 pm #10

I'm wondering why: A) he's wearing a hat, and B ) he's being rained-on.
It's not raining, it's just a hat with tassle-things on the brim. This makes it one of two things: a mariachi hat (see Sam & Max comment), or a tourist-class aussie hat.

Quote from site:
If you go to Australia you need a hat, and you may as well look the part and make it an Australian Outback hat.

Outback hats protect the hard working men and women in the Australian Outback and people anywhere else in rural Australia from the sun, heat, rain or snow. I have one, my friends do, everybody I know has an Australian hat of some sort... (Though nobody has corks dangling from it or a fly net with it. That stuff is strictly for tourists...)